PDA

View Full Version : Television Commercials Past and Present.

Danustouch
January 13th, 2003, 11:36 AM
What were your favorite television commercials past and present.

Some of mine were the "crying indian" commercials, about the environment.

The Woodsy the Owl commercials "Give a Hoot, don't pollute"

The Wendy's "Where's the Beef?".

The Hanes Underwear one with the German women carrying the big heavy flashlights doing the fashion show????? Anyone remember that one?

The McDonalds Christmas Season Commercial, with the little boy who doesn't know how to ice skate feeling left out of the fun, until ronald mcdonald comes, and leads him out onto the ice, yadda yadda yadda.

My Mother taped a whole bunch of Christmas movies off of the TV around the time my sister was born (1987) so that she would have them for my sister as she grew older. So...Sometimes I go back and watch those tapes, because the older commercials are just so darned cool.

Like the Pound Puppies commercials, the old McDonalds Commercials...

Okay..i'm strange.

stormyray
January 13th, 2003, 12:32 PM
Little boy sitting on a dock.....singing.. My balogna has a fisrt name its o.s.c.a.r. my balogna has a second names it's m.a.y.e.r I love to eat it every day and if you ask me why I'll say... cus Oscar Mayer has a way with b.a.l.o.g.n.a......

Ahautenites
January 13th, 2003, 12:40 PM
"The Pink Jublilee, please, for this Toys 'R' Us kid.
If I could only have it, there'd be so much I could do:
Go shopping for mom; mail letters for dad;
A paper route would be so cool--I'd follow every traffic rule;
And then a big race--I bet I could WIN!
Oh, WOW! I'll learn to ride it.....
Soon as mom and dad show me how!"

"The thing about a bon-bon: It's almost always gone-gone.
Bon-bons are bite-size. Bon-bon's the right size!
Bon-bons!"

The commercial where the guy is ordering food from a drive-thru and he can hardly understand the voice. The he drives up to the window, and the one who delivers his food has the same hard-to-understand voice. (It wasn't the speaker and microphone messing up his voice. His voice just naturally sounded that way.)

The superbowl commercial where the draft horses are playing football.

Oooh, how about this one:
"Be careful of what you eat. Make sure it's proper for your heart.
Watch out that you don't get too fat. Don't smoke! Don't start!
Get out and exercise! Exercise each and every day!
If the doctor says it's good for my heart,
I do it, right away!"

MammaStar
January 13th, 2003, 12:47 PM
I always liked the old OLD ones, like the Indian guy who sees the litter over the highway (turns out he wasn't indian or something like that) and cries. Smokey the Bear commericals.

Classic Wendy's commericals.

Does school house rock count as commericals? Cause they technically were on in between cartoons.

SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK RULED!!!!!!!!!! :D

Ahautenites
January 13th, 2003, 01:41 PM
**Ses enters again, but this time with '80s big hair and funky clothes and a microphone (And backup singers)**

Don't let a friend push you in-to takin' drugs.
You've got a ri-ee-yai-ee-yai-eet to say "No!"
"No!" Right to say "No!"

Danustouch
January 13th, 2003, 01:41 PM
How about the old Bartles and James Wine Coolers Commercials?

Or.."Don't drown your food".

Commercials that gave me the creeps? The old orval redenbocker commercials (popcorn) probably spelling it wrong..but that old dude was just totally freaky

How about the "My Buddy" and "Kid Sister" doll jingles? "My Buddy, My buddy! Whereever I go..HE's gonna go..my buddy, My buddy...my buddy and me!" Could never get that one out of my head.

oooooo..Snuggles Fabric Softener. I mean..snuggles the bear is still around..but..when he first came out, it was awesome :)

Two more commercial jingles that i can never quite get out of my head..

"Come See the Softer Side of Sears".
And "The Touch, The feel, of cotton, the fabric of our lives".

Danustouch
January 13th, 2003, 01:44 PM
And Does ANYONE remember the old Hostess snacks commercials, where the twinkie is a cowboy, and the chocolate cupcake a pirate captain, and their traveling on a river boat, and ...... Anyone? LOL. I used to love those.

And "Weebles Wobble but they don't fall down".

and ..."Parrrrrrrrrkayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....BUTTER!.....Parkaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy".

Ahautenites
January 13th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Weeeeeeeebles!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faery-Wings
January 13th, 2003, 02:20 PM
And "Weebles Wobble but they don't fall down".

I was just singing that on Saturday! :lol:

Oscar Meyer bologna! Loved it! And I remember the Coca Cola- "I'd like to teach the world to sing, in perfect harmony..."

Quantas- with that cute sad looking koala bear

Oh and the Peppermint Patty commercials

Danustouch
January 13th, 2003, 02:31 PM
And the old "Wouldn't you like to be a pepper" commercials :)

Ahautenites
January 13th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Yum. Dr. Pepper. :mmm:

How about the Klondike Bar commercials? "What wouldja do-oo-oo for a Klondike Bar?"

stormyray
January 13th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Rember the cool-aid man ??? Boy he alway freeked me out !!!!
Breakin thought walls and such

or this song

"I like Arnolds pickes you'll like Arnolds to the only thing better than an Arnolds pickle is TWO "

He likes it Mikie likes it !!

Danustouch
January 13th, 2003, 05:52 PM
I remember the Coolaid Guy, and the Mikey Likes it. But I don't remember the one for Arnolds Pickles.

I like the old Aunt Jemima commercials.

WtchyChick13
January 13th, 2003, 06:44 PM
"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop???

A-Onnnne?
A-Twooooo?
A-Three??? (crunch)

A-Three." :rotfl:

Tammy Sullivan
January 13th, 2003, 06:49 PM
How about the "It's not nice to fool mother nature" ones? I always loved those.

WtchyChick13
January 13th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Good one!

What about the old Good and Plenty with "Choo Choo Charlie?"

Trivia: What ex-Seinfeld star made his TV debut on a Choo Choo Charlie commercial??? (scroll down for answer)

Answer: Jason Alexander

Azure
January 13th, 2003, 06:55 PM
The current Dial commercials - "You're not as clean as you think you are" - particularly with the dog drinking out of the toilet. They're sick and wrong, but really funny.

Mnemosyne
January 13th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Oooh, have you seen the commercial warning people that if you drive SUVs, you help terrorists out. Even though I don't a SUV, I find that commercial kind of disturbing.

I remember that I always used to love the Kool Aid commercials in the 80s. They always made me want to have Kool Aid. Right now, I like that Axe deodorant commericial. I like the music in it, and I find it funny that this man gets all this attention in the elevator because he uses that body spray.

Old Witch
January 13th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by LdyStarlite
I always liked the old OLD ones, like the Indian guy who sees the litter over the highway (turns out he wasn't indian or something like that) and cries. Smokey the Bear commericals.

Classic Wendy's commericals.

Does school house rock count as commericals? Cause they technically were on in between cartoons.

SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK RULED!!!!!!!!!! :D

Chief Iron Eyes Cody.......He was Indian, just not on the rolls...and it's kinda become an Urban Myth he wasn't Native American

Flaire-FireStar
January 13th, 2003, 08:07 PM
"Plop plop fizz fizz...Oh what a relief it is!"

Gotta love Nick at Nights!

Old Witch
January 13th, 2003, 08:07 PM
The I'd Like To Teach Coke commercials and Oscar Mayer Commercials...the real old cartoon ones.... ...and the Duck AFLAC commercials...........

Old Witch
January 13th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Greta
How about the "It's not nice to fool mother nature" ones? I always loved those.

OH Yeah!!

Mithrea
January 13th, 2003, 09:53 PM
I saw a Nissan commercial the other day with Kurt freakin Vonnegut in it :eek:

Flaire-FireStar
January 13th, 2003, 11:15 PM
I don't know a lot of these commercials.... *ahem* 8O

But...the only commercial to have it's own story on the news (as far as I know. :huh: Correct me if I'm wrong)..

The Rant

Hey...
I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader...
and I don't live in an igloo, or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really, really nice.

I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English & French, NOT American.
and I pronounce it 'ABOUT', NOT 'A BOOT'.

I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
DIVERSITY, NOT assimilation,
AND THAT THE BEAVER IS A TRULY PROUD AND NOBLE ANIMAL.

A TOQUE IS A HAT, A CHESTERFIELD IS A COUCH,
AND IT IS PRONOUNCED 'ZED' NOT 'ZEE', 'ZED'!!!
CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!
THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY! AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!

MY NAME IS JOE!! AND I AM CANADIAN!!!!!!!!

Anyway... Uhm... Yeah! :p

Semele
January 13th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Hey...I haven't seen that one Flaire...lol! But I think I like it.

There was a commercial for vitamins a long time ago..about how your kids wont eat and get all the nutrients so you have to give them vitamins. Anyway there is a little boy and he asks what's for dinner and his mom says liver so he asks to eat at Larry's house. Then at the end of the commercial he comes in all sad and says, "Larry's mom had liver too."

My cousin and I used to act out that commercial all the time.

I loved the kool-aid commercials...HEY Kool-aid!!

The Geico insurance commercials are cute.

Flaire-FireStar
January 14th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Probably not. It was for Molson Canadian beer..... 8O

They had a series with "Joe", but none caught on as much as "The Rant" did. :)

Stacy
January 14th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Dolphine: "How did you find this place?"
Guy: "Yahoo"
Dolphine starts to go..
Guy: "Hey, wait!"
Dolphine: "What???"
Guy: "How did you learn how to talk?"
Dolphine: "Yahoo"

Hilarious!!!!

:rotfl:

Stacy
January 14th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Bud Lite commercials during Super Ball are great! :lol:

Pan
January 14th, 2003, 01:26 AM
I've seen the Rant commercial! A Canadian friend of mine (more like a sister) showed me a vid of it online. GREAT!!!

"Whatever it is I think I see.. becomes a tootsie roll to me!"

Remember that one?

I'd have to say that's the creepiest one I remember.

"Mikey! He likes it!"

Danustouch
January 14th, 2003, 01:45 AM
I met the guy who wrote the "Plop Plop Fizz Fizz " Jingle in the Emergency Room in my hometown. He also did the original scrubbin bubbles commercial :) He lives not far from my parents, and is actually friends with the family of Julianna Margolies (sp) (from ER and Mists of Avalon)

Pan
January 14th, 2003, 02:09 AM
What about the Jell-o man and his dog? I just remembered those as a friend of mine mentioned Jell-o!

WtchyChick13
January 14th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Danustouch
I met the guy who wrote the "Plop Plop Fizz Fizz " Jingle in the Emergency Room in my hometown. He also did the original scrubbin bubbles commercial :) He lives not far from my parents, and is actually friends with the family of Julianna Margolies (sp) (from ER and Mists of Avalon)

I've seen quite a few interviews with Julianna Margolis where she has said that it was her father that wrote these. He's apparantly a legend in the jingle world. ;)

Semele, I remember that liver commercial!!! :D

Danustouch
January 14th, 2003, 12:13 PM
huh! Could have been that they were partners in the advertising firm that created these jingles :)

Danustouch
January 14th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Ahhhh....here we are! Actually, Wtchy, Snopes.com says that Julianna Margolies' father really DIDNT write the jingle, though he was part of the team...

[Note: A common bit of trivia claims that Alka-Seltzer's famous "Plop, plop; fizz, fizz" jingle was written by the father of actress Julianna Margulies (of "ER" fame). Although Julianna's father, Paul Margulies, was an advertising executive who helped create the "Plop-plop, fizz-fizz, oh what a relief it is" campaign for Alka-Seltzer, the jingle was actually composed by musician Tom Dawes, a former member of The Cyrkle, who toured America with the Beatles in 1966 after scoring a #2 hit with a recording of Paul Simon's "Red Rubber Ball."]

The man I met, was the composer, and was apparently being rather modest :)

MammaStar
January 14th, 2003, 01:36 PM
My best friend and I have a picture from a friend's wedding with the Kool-Aid guy. There was a parade running through town, right in front of the church and the Kool-Aid guy was in it, so he stopped & took pics.

:)

If I had a scanner, I'd show you guys. Plus, it's a pic from 1988, Starlite with Big hair. :lol:

shnen
January 14th, 2003, 01:58 PM
bubbly bubbly bubbly bubbly eeeeeno!

WtchyChick13
January 14th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Ahhhh....here we are! Actually, Wtchy, Snopes.com says that Julianna Margolies' father really DIDNT write the jingle, though he was part of the team...

The man I met, was the composer, and was apparently being rather modest :)

Oh wow--great call, thanks. ;) :p

***walks off singing***

"What walks downstairs
alone or in pairs
and makes a slinkety sound?

A spring a spring
a marvelous thing!

Everyone knows it's Slinky!!!"

Semele
January 14th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Slinky...yay!!!

fire_Raven
January 15th, 2003, 12:47 AM
hmmm... i didn't acctually go through and read all of those... but what about the commercial with the guy who wore stockings an high heels and was talking to the diet docor pepper? its sorta recent...

Djiril
January 15th, 2003, 03:20 AM
I like the one where they were testing "Sprite" as a cleaning detergent. :D

WtchyChick13
January 15th, 2003, 03:29 AM
The new "Prego" commercials are hysterical too!

I like the 'staring contest' one. :D

Danustouch
January 15th, 2003, 10:41 AM
How about the Vlastic Pickle commercial with that adorable little girl saying..."are you gonna eat that pickle"?

Semele
January 15th, 2003, 03:14 PM
How about the Vlastic Pickle commercial with that adorable little girl saying..."are you gonna eat that pickle"?

"Do you mean this pickle right here?"

Ah...memories..I loved that one too.

WtchyChick13
January 15th, 2003, 07:08 PM
I used to sneak up behind my mother just before she took a bite out of her sandwich and ask that!!!

(Of course, I did the voice too--more effective that way.) :T

AAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFLLLLLAAAACCCC!

Mythrel
January 16th, 2003, 02:00 AM
gotta stick in a Mt Dew commercial... I love the one where the guy squares off with the Ram for the mt dew.... tis a classic!!

Danustouch
January 16th, 2003, 02:48 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFLLLLLAAAACCCC!

Oh my GODSS Wtchy..I just snarfed my soda!

My friend works for Bayer Corp, and I guess they offer Afflac insurance. Anyway...somehow...he got a hold of a stuffed duck that Afflac makes, which, when squeezed, SAYS that. Three times, just like the commercial. "Afflack. AFFlack AFFLACKKKKKKK!!!!!!!" And every time he calls me from work, he squeezes the darned thing about twenty times in each conversation. That DUCK HAUNTS ME IN MY DREAMS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Djiril
January 16th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Mythrel
gotta stick in a Mt Dew commercial... I love the one where the guy squares off with the Ram for the mt dew.... tis a classic!! Oh yes. I love that one too!:D Isn't that Marty What's-his-name from Wild America doing the voice over?

Danustouch
January 16th, 2003, 03:26 AM
Marty Stauffer. And yes..I think it is :)

Old Witch
January 16th, 2003, 01:45 PM
I want an AFLAC duck!!!!!!!!

Danustouch
January 16th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Here Ya Go, Old Witch. This is where you can get an AFLAC duck :) All proceeds go to help young cancer victims.

http://duckgear.aflac.com/ccduckgear/product.asp?dept%5Fid=1&pf%5Fid=001

Old Witch
January 16th, 2003, 07:41 PM
All Right!! Thanks !

Xander67
January 17th, 2003, 03:58 PM
:eek:

have you seen the new Herbalessence Shampoo comercial!!

the woman in the shower, OMG :eek:

Semele
January 17th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Xander67

LOL! How about the look on her poor husbands face when he hears he is being replaced by...something!

WtchyChick13
January 17th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Xander67

That's Jane Krakowski of Ally McBeal fame.

Note for Mol: She's also the "I'm going steady and I French Kiss..." "yeah, but daddy says I'm the best at it" girl from Vacation. :lol:

Xander67
January 17th, 2003, 07:23 PM
interesting little monologue she has there :)

Semele
January 18th, 2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by WtchyChick13

Note for Mol: She's also the "I'm going steady and I French Kiss..." "yeah, but daddy says I'm the best at it" girl from Vacation. :lol:

Hey, (completely off topic again...sorry) did you know that in the tv version she says..my science teacher says I'm the best at it?? I guess they have to draw the line somewhere for tv!!

WtchyChick13
January 18th, 2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Semele
Hey, (completely off topic again...sorry) did you know that in the tv version she says..my science teacher says I'm the best at it?? I guess they have to draw the line somewhere for tv!!

THANK YOU! I'm NOT going crazy!!!!

I've told a few people that and they just look at me funny. Of course my mother says, "you know you are the only one who would notice that."

WRONG-O!

:D :lol: :D

Faery-Wings
January 21st, 2003, 08:35 AM
Don't read these if you don't want annoying jungles stuck in your head....

How about Bumble Bee tuna? I love Bumble bee bumble bee tu-u-na.

And meow mix? Meow meow meow meow...

Semele
January 22nd, 2003, 10:59 AM
OK, I just saw a commercial for the dumbest audience in the world. Rejuvenating toothpaste to make your teeth look .... younger!

What moron are they targeting here?

Blueowl
January 22nd, 2003, 11:13 AM
School house did rock! I love that show growing up...my favorite mt. dew commercial is the one with the guy and the CHeeta I think it is....tha is great! I love the commercials around superbopwl, althought thelast couple yers have been a little sucky, not as good as previous years!

Where's the beef wasone of my favs growing up too!

I am the MTV generation, I know its not comercials..but it is commercial anyone remember Pauly SHore ...........mu...nchin on some Gri.............n...........dage................lol I loved Pauly
I also like headbangers ball and paulys 3 pm show...what happened to MTV? Oh yeah, sell ou tpop music....but, they have THe Osbournes!

WtchyChick13
January 23rd, 2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Semele
OK, I just saw a commercial for the dumbest audience in the world. Rejuvenating toothpaste to make your teeth look .... younger!

What moron are they targeting here?

I believe his name is Sid. :eyebrow:

Semele
February 5th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Hey you got your chocolate in my peanut butter

No you got your peanutbutter in my chocolate!!!

Anyone remember this??

Cheesy commercials!!:rolleyes:

~ Monk ~
February 5th, 2003, 04:43 PM
How about:

Calgon/"Ancient Chinese secret"

"Have you played Atari today?"

And the Intellivision ads with George Plimpton?

And now, after reading this thread, I have the "My Buddy" song stuck in my mind. Grrr.

moonmorgan
February 15th, 2003, 09:06 PM
Unfortunately, I see a lot more dumb commercials than one's I like. Besides some of the ones already mentioned, I like the cambells soup ones with the family, the boy, girl, mom and dad. There are different ones, making chicken with mushroom soup, etc....

The diaper commercial where the baby seals a leak in a pipe with his diaper. Don't remember which brand.

All the priceless commercials are funny