Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Betty Crocker 2lb Bread and Dough Maker

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Olean, NY
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,302

    Betty Crocker 2lb Bread and Dough Maker

    Someone donated this to us, sans, the instruction book. (Not very thoughtful.) I can't get the goddamned thing to start without the damn timer. What do I need to do? I don't want to use the timer, I just want to bake bread, and I'm ready to throw the thing out the window!

    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Age
    56
    Posts
    24,597
    I have no clue, sorry. We find it easier, quicker, and cheaper to just make dough and bread the old fashion way, by hand.

    I had a machine once, and I threw it away. Such a big waste of time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Olean, NY
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanti View Post
    I have no clue, sorry. We find it easier, quicker, and cheaper to just make dough and bread the old fashion way, by hand.

    I had a machine once, and I threw it away. Such a big waste of time.
    That's wonderful, but not very feasible if you're a single mom whose family can eat a loaf a day. if you hand-bake, good for you. But that's not what I asked about.

    I do not want to get into a debate about the superiority or inferiority of bread machine baking, otherwise I would have started a thread for that. I already know what meets my needs. I'm not looking for debate or "conversion".

    If you can't help with what I asked about, please don't post about how your way is better. I realize hand-bakers have strong feelings about why they hand-bake, but as I said before, I'm not looking for debate, and I don't have that kind of time. (For either hand-baking, or debating about it.)

    Back on topic, does anyone have this machine, or know how I can download an instruction manual?
    Last edited by brymble; September 21st, 2008 at 12:09 PM.

    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Flint, MI aka Hell in a handbasket
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,350
    Do you have a model number? I prefer the bread machine. I can never knead the dough right myself, and the bread machine allows me to bake more bread. I don't use it to bake with, I don't like how it turns out in my machine, but I do love it for mixing and kneading the dough.

    I do know there is a specific order for 'layering' the ingredients.

    Liquids
    Solids
    Yeast

    You don't want the yeast to activate too quickly, and that order works well for preventing that.

    I found a .pdf manual for a Betty Crocker bread machine. Let me know if it's the right one for you:

    http://www.bread-maker.net/Bread-mak...er-BCF1690.pdf
    ~*~
    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

    ~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Olean, NY
    Age
    44
    Posts
    3,302
    Thank you!

    That's not quite the same machine. I'll check it out anyway.

    I've got it sort of working, but the knead bar is very slow, and I'm not sure if it's characteristic of this machine's initial cycle of if there's something wrong. I can't find the model number where it's readily visible, so if there is one on the machine, I can't get to it without upsetting the dough that is already in there.

    I am attempting to be neutral in the Great Baking Debate. I forgot when I posted how divided people can be about machine baking. On some forums it's like discussing religion, politics, or the Great Pumpkin!

    I hand-bake when I get the time, usually a couple of loaves on a weekend, but at the rate my little boogers go through bread, the machine is a necessity. I used to have two machines running almost constantly. I was able to barter with it, spend bread like it was money for babysitting, food, transportation, groceries...

    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    25,571
    My bread machine is a GE Toastmaster so it may work differently than yours, but it starts out slow for 10 or 15 minutes to fully incorporate the ingredients, then it speeds up and starts kneading the dough. I've been so hungry for fresh baked bread lately, but like others I prefer to have the machine do the kneading and then bake the bread in the oven... but my oven pooped out on me last month and I haven't decided whether to get it fixed or buy a new one. And the bread that is baked in the bread machine just isn't as good for some reason.

    PS I didn't think Shanti was saying one way is better than the other, just which one she prefers. I think she's also baking for a family of 4 or 5.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Age
    56
    Posts
    24,597
    Quote Originally Posted by brymble View Post
    That's wonderful, but not very feasible if you're a single mom whose family can eat a loaf a day. if you hand-bake, good for you. But that's not what I asked about.

    I do not want to get into a debate about the superiority or inferiority of bread machine baking, otherwise I would have started a thread for that. I already know what meets my needs. I'm not looking for debate or "conversion".

    If you can't help with what I asked about, please don't post about how your way is better. I realize hand-bakers have strong feelings about why they hand-bake, but as I said before, I'm not looking for debate, and I don't have that kind of time. (For either hand-baking, or debating about it.)

    Back on topic, does anyone have this machine, or know how I can download an instruction manual?
    Sorry. I wasnt debating saying anyone has to share my thoughts!
    Gees. Just thinking out loud while posting about.
    Our way isnt superior, just better...FOR US!

    JFI, some people dont know its simple to hand make your own and thus never thought about trying it and sometimes an idea from one can stir an idea in another. Thats what sharing info is all about.

    Have you googled for an instruction manual?
    Often you can download them for just about anything.
    Have you gone to the manufacturers website?
    You can sometimes just e-mail a request for one to be e-mailed back or linked to.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    13,222
    I just checked mine, and it is not a BC.. sorry.. I hope u figure out how to work it!
    Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Flint, MI aka Hell in a handbasket
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,350
    Quote Originally Posted by brymble View Post
    Thank you!

    That's not quite the same machine. I'll check it out anyway.

    I've got it sort of working, but the knead bar is very slow, and I'm not sure if it's characteristic of this machine's initial cycle of if there's something wrong. I can't find the model number where it's readily visible, so if there is one on the machine, I can't get to it without upsetting the dough that is already in there.

    I am attempting to be neutral in the Great Baking Debate. I forgot when I posted how divided people can be about machine baking. On some forums it's like discussing religion, politics, or the Great Pumpkin!

    I hand-bake when I get the time, usually a couple of loaves on a weekend, but at the rate my little boogers go through bread, the machine is a necessity. I used to have two machines running almost constantly. I was able to barter with it, spend bread like it was money for babysitting, food, transportation, groceries...
    I'm on my second bread machine. I lost the paddle of the first one when we moved a few years ago, and it's no longer being manufactured, so I just bought a new one this summer.

    The first one would mix very slowly at first, and then work it's way up to speed.

    The one that I've got now begins with a start-stop mixing cycle, and then moves on to a more continuous mix/knead.

    I think it just depends on the machine.

    For the debate of machine vs. hand, I can't do a lot of hand-kneading. First off, my job is transcription. My hands are my livelihood, so adding strain to them is not a risk I can take right now. At least not until I build business in a different area.

    Second, I'm no good at kneading bread! It never turns out right when I do it by hand!

    And third, with the machine, I can make more bread than I can doing it by hand. Because I've got so much else to do, I can just through my ingredients in and go about doing everything else.

    I'm thinking of getting a second machine. I bake a LOT. I'm constantly making bagels and soft pretzels and breads and everything else, so having a second machine would mean two batches going at once.

    Like I said, I bake my own in the oven after the machine does the hard work. For bagels and shaped breads, they can't be baked in the machine, and I don't like how the bread turns out in the machine. I'm sure with a more expensive machine it would be better, but mine was $40, and that was really pushing my budget!
    ~*~
    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

    ~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mont-Laurier, QC
    Posts
    641
    I have a compromise on that baking vs machine issue! A Kitchenaid stand mixer with the dough attachment. I'm not suggesting anyone go out and buy one, they're expensive, but if you own one and consider the bread machine try your usual recipe and use the dough hook to knead, shape the way you like and bake. You hardly get your hands floury at all, although I love the floury hands.

    ***Just thinking out loud too***
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •