Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoT Discussion Thread: Weigh in with YOUR opinion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd really like COT to continue and be a student, but nursing school comes first, so I need a class that will allow me some leeway with getting assignments in on time. I also miss the regular ol' forum template. I could never figure out the newer COT site. I learned a lot from COT over the years in both the ongoing and archived classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitlin.ann View Post
      I'd really like COT to continue and be a student, but nursing school comes first, so I need a class that will allow me some leeway with getting assignments in on time. I also miss the regular ol' forum template. I could never figure out the newer COT site. I learned a lot from COT over the years in both the ongoing and archived classes.
      100% ditto

Comment

I think there are to many issues here to really give a reasonable answer.

I know the change of serves resulted in a lot of issues in the COT. Made it difficult to hold a connection to a course in progress when all the material vanished. Made it equally difficult to have an attachment when one did not know if it would happen again. I saw people active in a course before it occured that were no longer active after it.

I know for me personally I prefer a schedule that moves in a standard time frame. To draw it out over months simply makes me loose interest. It also seems to imply that my time is not of such worth that it becomes hit or miss.

That hit or miss becoming even more of an issue when I try to go online to access the material only to discover the site once again is down. I realize the teachers have no control over that facet but when time is a factor and you give your time and attention to schedle such and the site is gone doesn't do much to motivate you to keep trying to come back.

I think the other discouraging thing is when you expect or anticipate the course to be dynamic and it turns out to be one or two people contributing it tends to loose its appeal. Again my perspective only but I prefer to read and hear other's thoughs and opinions on the material. Makes more room for growth and potential for said growth.

If it is to be self paced and somewhat closed then why do I need the course really? I can find a book or video for that.

Comment

Originally posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
          I think there are to many issues here to really give a reasonable answer.

I know the change of serves resulted in a lot of issues in the COT. Made it difficult to hold a connection to a course in progress when all the material vanished. Made it equally difficult to have an attachment when one did not know if it would happen again. I saw people active in a course before it occured that were no longer active after it.
          IMO i think that was only part of the reason for the present condition.

I think the other discouraging thing is when you expect or anticipate the course to be dynamic and it turns out to be one or two people contributing it tends to loose its appeal. Again my perspective only but I prefer to read and hear other's thoughs and opinions on the material. Makes more room for growth and potential for said growth.
          again maybe one or two aspects of the course. I took one course in there. The system was never down and more than one or two people were contributing. both the teacher and students had no problems working with the software. The teacher just never came back. I have to check if she came back recently. And she was damned determined to have that course set up. asking multiple times to have it done.

If it is to be self paced and somewhat closed then why do I need the course really? I can find a book or video for that.
          because it's free and a lot of people can't buy a lot of books or know where to look. If the self paced courses were pay to see then I would agree with you.

ETA: just checked on the teacher. She just created an account at the time and posted less than 150 posts. and left three months later and so far never came back and this is over a year ago. to me it looks like some of the teachers do not take position seriously nor this place.
          Last edited by lightdragon; September 16th, 2010, 02:46 PM. Reason: had to add something.
          MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I had a couple of courses I wanted to take completely flake out before they started or we got a week into it and the teacher disappeared. I had a great experience with Ivy's course, but, the others left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I stopped trying to sign up when I saw that no activity was happening over there.

Personally, I like self-driven classes because I can go at my own pace, but, I also like the idea of a teacher who can guide me.

Thanks for discussing this and trying to come up with a feasible solution for everyone.

Comment

I think it might be nice for an entire course to be posted. People can work through at their own pace and get feedback from the teacher or other students. That way, if say someone has a free weekend, they can do a lot of assignments. Then if the next couple weeks they're slammed, it's ok. Maybe have a deadline for the entire course to be completed, rather than individual assignments.

Or, a teacher could submit an entire course to the admins for approval, THEN post it for the students.
              -little owlsigpic

Comment

Thanks for all of your comments. I'm working on a revamp that will take your suggestions to heart.
                Ivy Artemisia
                Twilight Spiral Coven [Site | Facebook]
                Hearth and Hedgerow [Site | Etsy Shop]

Comment

Should we take a poll of the community and see how much interest there is? I mean, I don't think it's nice to you to have you do a huge amount of work if the community isn't interested. We could send out a global email, asking some questions.
                  Site Adminstrator, (Yes, really!)
                  Official Site Vixen, 100% Grade A Evil,
                  Cerebral Goddess and Jelly Donut!
                  subscribe to mw

Disciple #42 of Jodarius, the Random God of Thwaking.

"Even people who think they are dragons think you are crazy. How does that make you feel?"

Comment

Working...
                  X