How did you choose your title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you choose your title?

I am writing down several book titles for my book. Unsure how to decide which is best. I want the title to explain the book contents but I want it to pop out and grab the reader.

If you have a nack at picking titles for books or poems, can you explain to me what makes you choose a perticular title and how I can come up with creative titles that explain the book content? :floating:

Last edited by LadyTrinity; August 23rd, 2005, 04:24 PM.

Proud Mommy :bigblue:

I Got Full Custody!

What kind of book is it?

Banners by Philbo, VroomBroom, Faeawyn and SkySilver.

The Darkness Spreads.....
    There is a fine line between genius and insanity...I love hopscotch.

Comment

self help book about how to over come depression. I dont need people to come up creative book titles for my book. I just an curious how a writer would come up with an eye catchy, makes sense, goes along with the book content kind of title :bigblue:

I Got Full Custody!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyTrinity
        self help book about how to over come depression. I dont need people to come up creative book titles for my book. I just an curious how a writer would come up with an eye catchy, makes sense, goes along with the book content kind of title :bigblue:
        It depends a lot on the tone you chose in your book. Say if you went spiritual, something along the lines of "guide to self healing" would make sense, but if you wrote some sort of shock therapy, "Quit Whining, get over it!" would be a more relevant choice.

Pin down the right tone and a neat title will nearly pop-up by itself. It does for me at least.

Snakenet metal radio (requests and discussion board)
        "King of the night time forever
        It's all I'm living for
        I'll embrace my immortal
        Forever night"
        - WASP "Raven Heart" -

Comment

I get my ideas for titles from songs, not necessarily the title of the song mind you, but phrases used in songs. If the imagine/feeling invoked by song is simular to the content book, it might make a good title.

"Go out and go after the things in life you love."-Hank Williams Jr

"I've always been different with one foot over the line
          Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
          It ain't been so easy but I guess I shouldn't complain
          I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane"- Waylon Jennings

Comment

Does it mean it should be short and straight to the point or as long as I want it to be and make it clear? :hairred:

I Got Full Custody!

Comment

Does it mean it should be short and straight to the point or as long as I want it to be and make it clear? :hairred:
              Well you can have both a short pithy main title as well a longer sub-title for a book.

"Go out and go after the things in life you love."-Hank Williams Jr

"I've always been different with one foot over the line
              Winding up somewhere one step ahead or behind
              It ain't been so easy but I guess I shouldn't complain
              I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane"- Waylon Jennings

Comment

Picking titles for my books have been sometimes easy and other challenging. For me it really reflects both the mood, theme and audience.

At first my book "Spellcraft for Teens" was teen be wicked LOL I am so glad I finally came up with a better one.

Moonbeams & Shooting Stars came as a result of picturing the cover and wanting something celestal yet inspirational.

Confessions of a Teenage Witch was unique because I never had another title idea. It just was the right fit.

Best of luck

Comment

hmmm how about "Get up and get a life?" or "Hey loser! Get over yourself?" or "How to be thankful you're not a serf"?

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Comment

I ended up with ten short stories, so I called it 'Ten Dragon Tails.' It has a nice ring to it.
                    "You're either on the bus, or you're off the bus.'
                    -Ken Kesey

Available for mentoring new MW'ers~

Comment

Aaaack!

Originally posted by Karma Chameleon
                      Well you can have both a short pithy main title as well a longer sub-title for a book.
                      NO! No! Those are the bane of bookstore owners and wholesalers throughout the country. Seriously -- the 'short' title frequently isn't enough to identify the book when ordering, and the 'longer title' is too big to fit in most order forms...
                      "You're either on the bus, or you're off the bus.'
                      -Ken Kesey

Available for mentoring new MW'ers~

Comment

For me, I come up with what I thought was an amazing title worthy of publication...and then my editor said "uh, do you mind if we rename it?"

Most of my books I did end up with a catchy short title and then subtitle, but for getting the book off to the publisher, I learned just to give a topic-based title. Then again, my books were pretty hard-core nonfiction (tech manual guides, travelogues, etc.). I would think that a catchy title would be more crucial for what you're doing. Just keep a little notebook with you and write down phrases or words that seem to pop out at you in your day-to-day travels.

Comment

It may not have been the smartest choice (after reading some of the posts here!) but I have a short punchy title, with a longer and more description sub-title for my business book.

Drawing the Three of Coins: How to Open and Run a Pagan Store.

All through the writing and editing process, it was labeled How to Open and Run a Pagan Store. Descriptive, but way too dull. I thought so and my publisher thought so. I was nearly finished the book, completely out of nowhere, the title popped into my head. It's referring to the Tarot card that refers to sucess in business. It may not be the best titling, but it has more character than my original.
                          ~~~~
                          Author of "Drawing the Three of Coins", a guide to running a Pagan store.

Playful Pagan - handmade toys for Pagan kids
                          Free spells for witches - find some magick
                          Waxing & Waning - Pagan fiction and short stories

~~~~

Comment

I didn't!! all the boks I'm writing are done with my co-author, and she thinks up all these titles!

Thank you VB for my fyre girl, and thanks to my friend Dark Chi, for my newest banner.

Comment

The title will come to you, sometimes you will go through several that sound pretty damn close to what you like, but then you find later, that you have the perfect title. Sometimes, it will just pop up instantly and you will be satisfied, depennds on the individual author and the individual book.
                              Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
                              "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Comment

Working...
                              X