Any writers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any writers out there?

So it's Camp NaNo and I'm, you know, doing my thing. Not doing a lot, or consistently, or well, but I'm plugging away. My life is a bit up-in-the-air right now so it's hard to get good momentum and flow. But I still WANT to write. So I'll settle for talking about writing.

Any other writers out there? Wanna talk about your WIP? Chat about the writer's life, or writing in general?
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

I'm a writer. I write stories sometime. Mostly tarot-based. What's NAWO by the way?
    I'M RICH! MITCH!

Comment

Well, as you know, I'm not doing too well on camp nano. I shortened my goal quite a bit. The most I've ever written for a story is 8000, so I put it at 6000 just to challenge myself a bit but also make it reasonable. I managed to get only an hour to write, and I have no clue if I can get another hour this month lol.
      Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
      my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Comment

I started with my usual unrealistically optimistic goal of 50,000 words.
        Luckily, this is Camp NaNo and that goal got shortened as yours did.
        And I can't even find the time to scratch past this much smaller word count. :D
        But...I have a streak to uphold. Somehow I have to find the time....
        I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
        To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
        And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
        And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over. - John Masefield

Comment

I write my blogs and I have two novels on the go; at least in my head if not always on paper. I'd say I was a writer and I do have ambitions to get some things published but at the moment life and work get in the way too much. Maybe writing will be my retirement fund!
          😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Comment

I write but have only had 2 actually used on a sci-fi forum WAAYYY back in the early 2000's? But I'm always coming up with plot bunnies and have 5 or 6 started but at different lengths of completion.

I also get a lot of bunnies in my dreams so have kept a dream log? since 2006... I will probably be using tarot to get past my writers block on a couple of them that have stuttered to a standstill...LOL

I did have a poem published in a schools newspaper in Jr. High once but under a different name, learned my lesson letting folks use my paperwork when they didn't get their own assignment done... LOL
            [SIGPIC] Kim

Comment

Well, yeah I am a writer... I know it's not easy to tell I am.

I never participate in NaNo. I never seem to have anything on the go when November rolls around and when the other months are here, I don't have an idea grabbing me yet, or I finish something just before things start. I find that it's more counterproductive for me. My brain is weird. :bigredgri

I currently have two finished manuscripts... One was written in 2014, and is a general adult fiction with a romance in it, and the most recent one is a romance, my beta team just finished critiquing it, and my best pal edited it for me.

I'm currently trying to get a companion story written for the actual romance manuscript. It's still in the prelim stages though.

I also have a blog that has several followers, under my pen name.

I'm a member of two writing forums, which I joined at the advice of an editor who gave me a lot of helpful constructive criticism. This same editor is one of the best in my genre, and she invited me to submit another story to her publishing house when I have one that's up to par and not the disaster like the one I sent her.

Anyone get published yet? I'm not there myself, but I'm on the way. Looking at and researching publishers for the actual romance story now.
              "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

"If a book has my name on it, I wrote it. Every word of it." ~Nora Roberts.

Comment

I'm not published yet, but I have a manuscript I'm in Editing Hardware Mode on. A friend of mine just had his cover reveal party and that was the kick up the backside I needed to get back to work properly. In the last two days, I've cut almost 4,000 words, just by cutting filter words and overused body language. I haven't even started cutting scenes yet. It's really astonishing. But I feel good, I feel like I have as much momentum as I did when I wrote it. Plus, I'm surrounding myself with crystals and candles and all the things!

What writing forums are you on? I'm on Scribophile. I joined Wattpad, but it creeped me out, lol.
                "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
                Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
                When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
                AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
                :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

Comment

Check your PMs, October, I sent the links to both to you. I don't share where else I hang out due to wanting to keep my MW life separate from my writing forums. No one's business I belong to MW other than my fellow MWers.

OH, the culling and compressing stage. Fun stuff. Not!!! I had one that was over 200K, and it was way too long for an unknown to send out to publishers... I did it anyway, and wound up getting rejections for it. I rewrote it, and compressed it down to about 60K... There was so much garbage in it - passive scenes, repetitive things like how the lead male's voice was gentle, and other crap. The editing was horrid too.

Cutting scenes is "fun". NOT!!! I literally had to go through *every* scene in both of my manuscripts, and figure out which ones moved the story forward and which ones did NOT. The one I drafted in 2014 wasn't too bad, but the other one??? YIKES.

Hence why I rewrote it. Besides, things were a lot more complicated in the long version than I had originally planned, and I wanted to simplify it down to the original plot, but written in my newer and better style. It's a lot better this time around, according to my best friend/editor/butt kicker.

Sometimes you just have to slash, toss, or do a full rewrite.

I tossed one to the "forget it" pile about a year ago. It was the original sequel to the rewrite, and one of my betas told me she hated it. I guess it was overly complicated, none of it made sense, and it looked like I was trying to write like someone else.

It's been nicknamed "The Abomination" and only my best friend and that particular beta reader will ever see it. It was absolutely horrid, and I still can't believe I wrote that dribble. I'm embarrassed over the fact I wasted the good part of a year writing it. I can't open the document without cringing. Heck, I don't think I even have it on the hard drive anymore, I think I put it on the external where it will remain hidden for all eternity. Ugh.

I'm still learning but I'll be happy to share anything I've learned in the process with writing cover letters, etc, and I'm here if anyone needs to talk about rejections... been there, did that, not fun at all!

Comment

I used to write a lot. Then I had to adult LOL

I have parts of a novel written. I really hope I find the time one day to get back to it, continue to write, edit and maybe one day publish it. I have some short stories and poems too.

M

Comment

Two on the go... Or is that three??? I don't know. Things pop into my head for one, I write it up, then something pops into brain for another one, it's written up, and then the cycle starts again. I've been going "Squirrel!!!" a lot with the writing since I started getting back into it after my ultra bad bout of anemia last year. (Not fun!)

Hopefully I'll get into one and one only by the time school starts in 11 weeks. Son will be leaving later in the day so it should be more productive for me.

Comment

I have been writing stories since I was 6. Novels since I was 14, which I have submitted, but were not accepted. Since the advent of the Internet, I have not been as interested in trying to publish in print. I used to post on FictionPress, and on my own sites (Web 1.0). I have tried posting on WattPad, but with no notice at all. The book cover seems like an important feature there, and I am no designer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gisela View Post
                          I have been writing stories since I was 6. Novels since I was 14, which I have submitted, but were not accepted. Since the advent of the Internet, I have not been as interested in trying to publish in print. I used to post on FictionPress, and on my own sites (Web 1.0). I have tried posting on WattPad, but with no notice at all. The book cover seems like an important feature there, and I am no designer.
                          Use Canva.com! You get a free account, and access to free stock photos and stuff, and if you want some of the prettier ones, most cost only $1 to use. It's super easy to use, they have tons of templates as well.
                          Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
                          my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Comment

Originally posted by faye_cat View Post
                            Use Canva.com! You get a free account, and access to free stock photos and stuff, and if you want some of the prettier ones, most cost only $1 to use. It's super easy to use, they have tons of templates as well.
                            Thank you! I will have to try it out.

Edited: It worked well, and I was even able to use my own photo for free with their templates.
                            Last edited by Gisela; July 30th, 2016, 10:28 PM. Reason: Used recommended site.

Comment

What methods do the rest of you use to write your stories? Long hand, short hand, typewriter, word processor, Dragon Speak, or whatever other methods are out there?

I have to use a word processor, my handwriting is the *PITS* and my hand goes numb quickly due to carpal tunnel syndrome. Ironically the method that got me in this mess with the hands turned out to be the easiest for me to do... Word 2013 is my choice of word processor for the record.

Comment

Working...
                              X