No announcement yet.

Advice On How To Be A Good Writer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice. There is a lot to learn in the writing field.
    Another beautiful day in the state of denial.

Comment

You're so right Dremalittle. I'm still learning and I have my first book coming out later this year!

I have another piece of advice... Set writing goals. Small ones. Yes, set the larger ones, but break it down into small ones. I do weekly word count ones. I see how many writing days I will have in a week, and estimate a reachable word count for those days combined. Most of the time, I do hit the goal and then some. But sometimes real life gets in the way, so not always. For me, it keeps me focused on the task, and when I reread the thread later, it shows me how fast I progressed with draft one, or even subsequent drafts, editing, revisions, proofing and so on.

Example: This week I have at least one guaranteed day alone despite two blizzards on the way. So I am keeping things very simple and the word count low.

My goals for this week:

Start Chapter 11 in the WIP
      Add another 1500 words
      See what I mean? Reasonable, and not too much at one time.

And yes, that is my actual list of goals for this week. If things were not so hairy with winter hitting us all at once, and such, I'd set higher goals for myself.
      "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

"If a book has my name on it, I wrote it. Every word of it." ~Nora Roberts.

Comment

Working...
      X