Origins of Modern Witchcraft by Ann Moura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Paracelsus,

In the main, you seem focused on the Aryan question--but you are not exactly clear on what the question is. Are you asking was the Aryan arrival conquest or peaceful migration? Assuming you are, the Vedas themselves indicate conquest.

You say the book is fine as a mythic history but you agree with many of the detractors. One nice thing about writing a book like Origins is that it makes people think, explore, and get excited about history and archaeology. Having encountered so many folks who abhor history, knowing that my book has generated interest is a joy! The Harrapan/Mohenjo-Daro/Aryan situation is still being uncovered by archaeologists today. Of course the situation is very much more complex, and as more information is dug up, the picture expands. It still seems to me that an Aryan invasion is more reasonable than a peaceful migration. To get an idea of writing about historical events, just look at all the books written on the JFK assassination in our own recent history--there are tons of theories, but no one really knows conclusively what happened. If it is that hard today to know for certain about something recent, imagine going back thousands of years. My "agenda" (as you put it) in this book was to get to the foundation of practices that are today called Witchcraft, and examine what ran counter to those practices, became rivals to them, blended with them, or tried to obliterate them. My research happened to take me to the Indus, and that opened a whole new perspective for me as it apparently has for many independent scholars who preceded my journey of discovery. Just for your information (as well as that of anyone else reading this thread), this book will soon be going out of print, so if you want to read it, you need to order it quickly as there are not many left in stock.

Brightest Blessings in Your Explorations!
    Ann

Comment

The genetic evidence also points to an "invasion" scenario. West Eurasian (that is "white" or "Aryan") haplotypes are most concentrated among high caste, Northern Indian men, and particularly among men of the traditional warrior/ruler caste. This indicates that the intrusive Indo-European population that ended up atop the caste structure (whether they invented this or simply inserted themselves at the top a pre-existing caste structure is irrelevant, though I tend to think they merely adopted the custom of the land, as Indo-European caste/class structures almost invariably break down in a tripartite rather than four-tiered division) was largely made up of males. This fits with what we find in other early "Indo-European" cultures (in Greece, Italy, Celtic Europe, and the Near East) a horsed, chariot-centered Indo-European warrior aristocracy imposed itself, and often (but not always, see the Hyksos and Philistines as examples) its culture and language on an indigenous substrate.

Comment

Working...
      X