Let's welcome Bryon Morrigan to his spot in the MW Authors' Circle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mystic Christian View Post
    How about an exerpt since Amazon doesn't feature one? Or is there one somewhere else?
    There's enough use of profanity in that book to put the "hug"-generator on overdrive. Let's see if I can edit Chapter 2 enough. It's the first entry of a journal that the main characters find that belongs to a member of a missing platoon. It's not scary, but enjoy. (Edits in red, BSG-style.)

Chapter 2

Journal Entry One: 1 APR 2003

This is the war diary of SPC David Forbes. If you are reading this, then I am probably dead. I make this claim knowing that I would probably never willingly show my private thoughts to another person, so if I am not dead, then it is highly likely that this diary has been stolen, pilfered, or otherwise nefariously exploited by my fellow servicemen. Enjoy.

Sunsets are grander in the desert, you know. In fact, there is a great deal about this country that is completely different from the way that we Americans expect them to be, relying on our own experiences.

For example, I really expected it to be hotter here. Seriously. I grew up in South Florida, so I know what hot, stinky, humid weather is like. Hell, Iraq has nothing on Florida. This place is much milder than a summer in Naples, Florida, my hometown.

Don’t get me wrong. Come midday, this place is pretty damned hot. But here, I can wear a full set of military fatigues (BDUs, we call them...) and a flak jacket and still be more comfortable than I’d be in Naples wearing a t-shirt and shorts. It’s hot, all right, but the humidity isn’t bad, and it’s that damned humidity that will kill you back home.

The best part about the desert though, is nightfall. It gets downright chilly here at night. That makes sleeping a whole lot easier, trust me. Back home, you get no nocturnal respite from either the heat or the humidity.

It gets pretty frakking dark at night, though. Oh by the way, I hope you don’t mind that word: frak. We soldiers say it a lot. Before I joined the Army, I never cursed. Now...I frakking curse all the time. We all do. It’s the frakking Army, hooahh!

So anyway, like I said, it’s real frakking dark at night. I learned real quickly that it was best not to sleep in the tents at night. You want to stay in the SCIF if you can, and not be wandering around in the darkness. Since you can’t use your flashlights, (As the enemy might see you...) you might accidentally walk right into some piano wire, and we Intel pukes just love our piano wire. Or better yet, you get up to use the latrine, then spend all night wandering around, looking for your tent. And trust me, it’s not all that easy to determine which one is your tent in the darkness either.

So what I like to do is curl up on the front seat of a five-ton transport truck. Expando-vans we call them, because they have these side things that well, expand. The bench seat is not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it does have a few amenities. For example, when you wake up in the morning, you have all these handy mirrors to use while shaving. The passenger’s 'oh poop' bar also serves as a nice towel rack. The best part is that nobody but skinny little poops like me can actually sleep on those benches, so you don’t have to worry about arguing with anyone over them. We have three of these trucks in our unit and I’m the only one who sleeps in the cab. All the NCOs (Non-commissioned officers, a.k.a. sergeants, in case you didn’t know...) sleep on cots under the trucks. There’s a good four-foot or so clearance under there. Makes a good little place for a cot.
    In fact, right now as I write this I’m sitting in one of those expando-vans. Since as of tomorrow I’ll be assigned to a different unit for a little while, I figured this would be as good a time as any to start a journal. This way, if anything interesting happens to me, at least I’ll have this account to maybe use to write a book. I’ve always wanted to write a book.

So anyway, earlier this night I’m walking back towards the SCIF after using the latrine. The sun is setting and it’s getting dark. I don’t like being caught outside of the SCIF after dark. Too damned creepy in that pitch-black darkness. Another soldier is walking straight towards me, heading towards the nasty latrine I just left.
    As he gets closer, I realize it’s not a 'he', but a 'she.' It’s SPC Morgan, one of the three MPs (Military Police...) that are attached to our beloved little SCIF. She looks a whole lot like that lesbian folk singer, K.D. Lang. She even has the haircut. In fact, rumor has it she is a lesbian. She’s pretty tough and masculine, so I can believe it.

So that’s why I’m taken completely off guard when, just as she’s about to pass by me, she grabs me, and kisses me hard...like she’s Indiana Jones and I’m some chick he just rescued. Then she spins me around, pulling me close like a lover, to turn me towards the setting sun.

“I just had to share that with someone,” she said. “It’s so frakking beautiful.”

Then, without further ado, she lets go of me, and heads over to the abysmal latrine. I’m still standing there in shock, glad that it was so dark that no one could have seen the encounter. I mean, I’m a little guy (five foot six, 110 pounds...) but I’d never been handled like that by a female before. (By the way, we say 'female' in the Army. It’s nice and clinical and keeps us from accidentally saying 'girl'...)

It’s only then, after I finally recover my wits, that I finally notice for the first time, even though I’d been in this country for weeks, that it is a beautiful frakking sunset.

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Comment

And in case anyone cares...

THE DESERT was picked up by a Hollywood director (*) for a movie over a year ago. At this point, I don't know if it's gonna happen...'cause I haven't heard anything in a while.

I am shopping around the semi-sequel, ACHERON, to hopefully find a bigger publisher for it.

I've almost completed the screenplay for ACHERON, which I will also be running by Mr. Unnamed Movie Director, as well as other contacts in Hollywood.

I have many other projects in progress at the moment. (A series featuring a character that travels the world seeking occult relics; A story called THE ISLAND about a young woman that becomes a hero and saves her friends from a bunch of Greek-mythology-inspired monsters on an island; and a series-opener about a female forensic anthropologist called I SPEAK FOR THE DEAD.)

Any serious professionals interested in any of the above, feel free to PM me. Danke Schoen!

(*) I am contractually bound not to release this info at this time. He's done movies with Harvey Keitel and Matthew McConaughey.

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
      (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Comment

They were talking about your book on another site that I frequent and it sounds good. I'll pick it up next time I'm at borders and give it a read. It sounds right up my alley.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
          It's listed under "Dark Fantasy" at Amazon, but it's really more of a straight Men-Versus-Monsters horror story. If you like ALIENS, then chances are you'd like it.
          I might check it out, it sounds quite cool.

There's enough use of profanity in that book to put the "hug"-generator on overdrive. Let's see if I can edit Chapter 2 enough. It's the first entry of a journal that the main characters find that belongs to a member of a missing platoon. It's not scary, but enjoy. (Edits in red, BSG-style.)

Chapter 2

Journal Entry One: 1 APR 2003

This is the war diary of SPC David Forbes. If you are reading this, then I am probably dead. I make this claim knowing that I would probably never willingly show my private thoughts to another person, so if I am not dead, then it is highly likely that this diary has been stolen, pilfered, or otherwise nefariously exploited by my fellow servicemen. Enjoy.

Sunsets are grander in the desert, you know. In fact, there is a great deal about this country that is completely different from the way that we Americans expect them to be, relying on our own experiences.

For example, I really expected it to be hotter here. Seriously. I grew up in South Florida, so I know what hot, stinky, humid weather is like. Hell, Iraq has nothing on Florida. This place is much milder than a summer in Naples, Florida, my hometown.

Don’t get me wrong. Come midday, this place is pretty damned hot. But here, I can wear a full set of military fatigues (BDUs, we call them...) and a flak jacket and still be more comfortable than I’d be in Naples wearing a t-shirt and shorts. It’s hot, all right, but the humidity isn’t bad, and it’s that damned humidity that will kill you back home.

The best part about the desert though, is nightfall. It gets downright chilly here at night. That makes sleeping a whole lot easier, trust me. Back home, you get no nocturnal respite from either the heat or the humidity.

It gets pretty frakking dark at night, though. Oh by the way, I hope you don’t mind that word: frak. We soldiers say it a lot. Before I joined the Army, I never cursed. Now...I frakking curse all the time. We all do. It’s the frakking Army, hooahh!

So anyway, like I said, it’s real frakking dark at night. I learned real quickly that it was best not to sleep in the tents at night. You want to stay in the SCIF if you can, and not be wandering around in the darkness. Since you can’t use your flashlights, (As the enemy might see you...) you might accidentally walk right into some piano wire, and we Intel pukes just love our piano wire. Or better yet, you get up to use the latrine, then spend all night wandering around, looking for your tent. And trust me, it’s not all that easy to determine which one is your tent in the darkness either.

So what I like to do is curl up on the front seat of a five-ton transport truck. Expando-vans we call them, because they have these side things that well, expand. The bench seat is not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it does have a few amenities. For example, when you wake up in the morning, you have all these handy mirrors to use while shaving. The passenger’s 'oh poop' bar also serves as a nice towel rack. The best part is that nobody but skinny little poops like me can actually sleep on those benches, so you don’t have to worry about arguing with anyone over them. We have three of these trucks in our unit and I’m the only one who sleeps in the cab. All the NCOs (Non-commissioned officers, a.k.a. sergeants, in case you didn’t know...) sleep on cots under the trucks. There’s a good four-foot or so clearance under there. Makes a good little place for a cot.
          In fact, right now as I write this I’m sitting in one of those expando-vans. Since as of tomorrow I’ll be assigned to a different unit for a little while, I figured this would be as good a time as any to start a journal. This way, if anything interesting happens to me, at least I’ll have this account to maybe use to write a book. I’ve always wanted to write a book.

So anyway, earlier this night I’m walking back towards the SCIF after using the latrine. The sun is setting and it’s getting dark. I don’t like being caught outside of the SCIF after dark. Too damned creepy in that pitch-black darkness. Another soldier is walking straight towards me, heading towards the nasty latrine I just left.
          As he gets closer, I realize it’s not a 'he', but a 'she.' It’s SPC Morgan, one of the three MPs (Military Police...) that are attached to our beloved little SCIF. She looks a whole lot like that lesbian folk singer, K.D. Lang. She even has the haircut. In fact, rumor has it she is a lesbian. She’s pretty tough and masculine, so I can believe it.

So that’s why I’m taken completely off guard when, just as she’s about to pass by me, she grabs me, and kisses me hard...like she’s Indiana Jones and I’m some chick he just rescued. Then she spins me around, pulling me close like a lover, to turn me towards the setting sun.

“I just had to share that with someone,” she said. “It’s so frakking beautiful.”

Then, without further ado, she lets go of me, and heads over to the abysmal latrine. I’m still standing there in shock, glad that it was so dark that no one could have seen the encounter. I mean, I’m a little guy (five foot six, 110 pounds...) but I’d never been handled like that by a female before. (By the way, we say 'female' in the Army. It’s nice and clinical and keeps us from accidentally saying 'girl'...)

It’s only then, after I finally recover my wits, that I finally notice for the first time, even though I’d been in this country for weeks, that it is a beautiful frakking sunset.
          Thanks for the excerpt, I definitely will try and check it out .

And in case anyone cares...

THE DESERT was picked up by a Hollywood director (*) for a movie over a year ago. At this point, I don't know if it's gonna happen...'cause I haven't heard anything in a while.

I am shopping around the semi-sequel, ACHERON, to hopefully find a bigger publisher for it.

I've almost completed the screenplay for ACHERON, which I will also be running by Mr. Unnamed Movie Director, as well as other contacts in Hollywood.

I have many other projects in progress at the moment. (A series featuring a character that travels the world seeking occult relics; A story called THE ISLAND about a young woman that becomes a hero and saves her friends from a bunch of Greek-mythology-inspired monsters on an island; and a series-opener about a female forensic anthropologist called I SPEAK FOR THE DEAD.)

Any serious professionals interested in any of the above, feel free to PM me. Danke Schoen!

(*) I am contractually bound not to release this info at this time. He's done movies with Harvey Keitel and Matthew McConaughey.
          Very cool, and, it's really great to have someone who, hopefully, might make it big on MW :cheers: (remember us when you make it in Hollywood ).

Comment

Nice!!!

I haven't been to this part of the board in forever.

Congratulations, Bryon.
            "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
            instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
            which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

Working...
            X