Self-Publishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lupabitch View Post
    The publishing industry won't change if people don't take risks to change it.
    That's a good axiom for life in the world, too...thanks!
    Are you a real cat lover?
    http://CatReligion.org - The Order of the Divine Feline

Comment

"3. No publisher is ever going to touch you"

That's a really broad generalization based on the usual scare hype of the dinosaurs of traditional publishing. While in a lot of cases a self-published author won't get picked up, a lot of the time it's because their writing is subpar to begin with.

And at least in the pagan and occult publishing field, self-publishing can actually get you picked up by a publisher--Robert Bartlett's "Real Alchemy", which got nabbed by Weiser, is one example that comes to mind.

Of coarse it's a really broad generalization, however I don't think that the "pagan and occult" publishing field is a good example of the rest of it.

And fiction vs non-fiction are two very different things. I would usually specify Non-fiction authors as just that "Non-Fiction Authors".

Truth be told, I don't know if I think the publishing industry should change in the way of music and movies as such. They're very different mediums in a lot of senses... Sure, the publishing executives pays should be cut down significantly, but the same goes for a lot of "higher ups".

Authors (good ones) in general are under payed, under appreciated for the time and effort they put into their works.
      Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

"3. No publisher is ever going to touch you"

That's a really broad generalization based on the usual scare hype of the dinosaurs of traditional publishing. While in a lot of cases a self-published author won't get picked up, a lot of the time it's because their writing is subpar to begin with.

And at least in the pagan and occult publishing field, self-publishing can actually get you picked up by a publisher--Robert Bartlett's "Real Alchemy", which got nabbed by Weiser, is one example that comes to mind.

Not only are your words wise in this matter, but your wisdom has the truth of experience to sustain it.

Thanks for you POV and for your efforts.

Searles O'Dubhain
        Last edited by odubhain; April 4th, 2010, 08:50 PM. Reason: you => your

Comment

Originally posted by odubhain View Post
          Not only are your words wise in this matter, but you wisdom has the truth of experience to sustain it.

Thanks for you POV and for your efforts.

Searles O'Dubhain
          The key word in my first sentence was "fiction."
          ________________________________________________________________________

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
          (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Comment

Originally posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
            The key word in my first sentence was "fiction."
            I'll definitely read more carefully from now on. I completely missed that coming into the conversation on page 2.

Writers definitely need to catch the rabbit first before all that other stuff. Non-fiction writers can make their mark with their potential reading public in other venues than writing. That's probably why they have more options. Professors have their students. Businesses have their employees. Politicians have their enemies and religious people have their folowers and cohorts as a market.

I think the best thing would be to get interviewed on CNN or a major network to really boost sales.

My friend (signature below) pays her dues the hard way through work, work and more work in shows, demos, lectures, book signings and radio/TV interviews on the local level. She and my wife are getting ready for this month's RT convention in Columbus, Ohio.

Searles O'Dubhain

Comment

Working...
            X