Questions on Writing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Writing

Ok...so I've been reading your posts on self publishing and what the end goal should be for writing. Please correct me if I'm not getting it -

1. Write a book and get it published.

2. Get that book sold to someone (preferably someone famous) and get in made into a movie.

This is the thing that has been nagging at me:

How do I write something that I know is good enough to publish. I don't want to even submit anything if it's crap. And even if I did want to submit my work, where would I even start?

If the end game is to get it picked up as movie, do I need to change what I write with that in mind? And how does that work with the "creative process?"

P.S. I'm asking these questions because I am a closet writer. I enjoy it immensely and have been told by college professors that I have talent. Whether this is actually true or not is anyone's guess. I also have a Children's Book in the works that is probably not going to get picked up by anyone - it's a Hellenismos Primer.
    Last edited by Twinkle; March 21st, 2010, 10:59 PM.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
    Ok...so I've been reading your posts on self publishing and what the end goal should be for writing. Please correct me if I'm not getting it -

1. Write a book and get it published.
    Should be the goal of any writer.

2. Get that book sold to someone (preferably someone famous) and get in made into a movie.
    Should be the goal of any writer that wants to make a lot of money! :D

This is the thing that has been nagging at me:

How do I write something that I know is good enough to publish. I don't want to even submit anything if it's crap.
    1. Make friends with writers. Hang out on message boards where writers of your specific genre congregate. For example, in horror, I started at Shocklines, a place that pretty much sucks now, but used to have fairly big-name horror people on it. Most of them are happy to give advice once they get to know you. (But your first post on the board should not be asking for advice...) Once they get to know you, they might actually read and comment on your work...

2. Let friends and family read it...but don't let it get to your head, especially if they aren't heavy readers in that genre. My brother, for example, is the quintessential horror READER. He knows what a good book should be like. He has always given me the constructive criticism that a writer needs.

And even if I did want to submit my work, where would I even start?
    Depends on your genre. I can tell you where to start if you're going horror or Sci-Fi. Other than that, you might have to do some research. Get a recent copy of "Writer's Market." Read how to properly create a query letter. Go to Agent Query and look at which agencies are looking for your type of book. Go to Preditors and Editors and find out who NOT to send your manuscript to...

It's a learning process in itself.

If the end game is to get it picked up as movie, do I need to change what I write with that in mind? And how does that work with the "creative process?"
    Personally, I happen to write very fast, action-oriented prose. Many people who read my stuff say things like, "It's paced like a movie." Two months after my book came out, I started getting offers from Hollywood. So, it worked "for me." Of course, this wouldn't exactly work for every type of book, it just happens to work when you write stories about soldiers fighting monsters... I see a movie in my head, and I write it down as quickly as possible. I rarely know what is going to happen on the next page until I write it. That's how I do it.

Also, keep in mind that I write screenplays as well, and they are much easier to write...unless you have a director constantly asking for revisions...and you end up writing ten different versions of the same movie...and...oh wait, I'm going off on a rant here...

P.S. I'm asking these questions because I am a closet writer. I enjoy it immensely and have been told by college professors that I have talent. Whether this is actually true or not is anyone's guess. I also have a Children's Book in the works that is probably not going to get picked up by anyone - it's a Hellenismos Primer.
    There's no shame in self-publishing something non-fiction with a limited market say of, "Hellenic Polytheist Parents." Even if every single one of them happened to buy your book you would hardly be rolling in the dough, though!

Read every day. Write every day. If you treat it like a job, it will become your job. If you treat it like your hobby, it will always be a hobby.

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Comment

Thank you Bryon, I appreciate you taking the time.

My stuff is more psychological thriller (think Nicci French), people living normal lives and something triggers them into vice and excess, and they have to confront and conquer. It's actually quite dark and goes down some very, um....creepy paths.
      instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
      which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

Thank you Bryon, I appreciate you taking the time.

My stuff is more psychological thriller (think Nicci French), people living normal lives and something triggers them into vice and excess, and they have to confront and conquer. It's actually quite dark and goes down some very, um....creepy paths.
        Cool. I read a lot of that stuff.
        ________________________________________________________________________

Comment

And some of Nicci French's stuff has been adapted into movies.

You've got me thinking, now.:hahugh:

Comment

I gotta laugh at the end goal of writing being to get published. Writers are compulsives who have to put ideas into print. Some do it for the money, others do it just to make room in our own heads.

If you write simply for the money, all you will ever write is crap that no one wants to read let alone make into a movie.

The fact is that some people are just made to be writers. Not everyone made to be a writer is made to be a moneymaking writer nor can any single writer around tell you what will work for you, only what worked for them and what worked for them has to be judged according to the level of success it has garnered them.

Getting your works made into movies is not the end all be all for writers. Look at Stephen King, most of his books that got made into movies were pure gems that got turned into pure crap by putting them into film. Each writer has their own reason for writing and for the great ones, money isn't anywhere on the list. In fact, I would recommend reading some Stephen King but not his novels. Read Danse Macabre and anything else he has written on the subject of writing. Then do a search for your favorite author with the words "why do I wrte" as part of the search terms. You'll get some interesting insights.

Once you have something to submit, do not worry about if it is good or if it is crap; more crap gets published than anything else anyway. Getting published is not about whether your work is good or crap, its about whether it will sell or not. Manure is crap but its a big business.

However, if you do want to be a well paid writer, do not bother with writing for the Pagan market. If Bonewits is any example, the money just isn't there. I'd also skip a career as a poet, too many of them end dying broke and alone.

To get started, ask your professors who think you have talent which pieces they have read that they think you should try and get published and where you should get it published.
            Brought to you by the
            National Association For Addressing Prejudice Against Jackasses (NAFAPAJ).
            Not all witches are love and light, nor are they all hate and darkness.
            Some witches are just real mothers - like me.
            You cannot carve a beautiful sculpture in stone with loving strokes.
            It takes a hammer, a chisel, and a lot of aggression that needs converted.
            I am aware of how nasty I come across.
            If others have the right and freedom to be sweetness and light,
            I have the right to be spit and vinegar.

Comment

Originally posted by Terra Mater View Post
              I gotta laugh at the end goal of writing being to get published. Writers are compulsives who have to put ideas into print. Some do it for the money, others do it just to make room in our own heads.
              We're talking about being a "professional" writer...as in, making a living at it and payin' tha billz...

If you write simply for the money, all you will ever write is crap that no one wants to read let alone make into a movie.
              Anyone who writes simply for money will become quickly discouraged when they realize that it isn't forthcoming! I could've made so much more money by not dropping out of law school...

Getting your works made into movies is not the end all be all for writers. Look at Stephen King, most of his books that got made into movies were pure gems that got turned into pure crap by putting them into film.
              Pure crap that ensured that he had the money on hand to write whatever the f--- he wanted. King has written some really gods-awful books over the years, but he's Stephen-Effing-King, so he gets away with it.

Once you have something to submit, do not worry about if it is good or if it is crap; more crap gets published than anything else anyway. Getting published is not about whether your work is good or crap, its about whether it will sell or not. Manure is crap but its a big business.
              See entry under "Meyer, Stephanie."

ZING!
              ________________________________________________________________________

Comment

Working...
              X