Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

interview with Bryon in MW Mag #15

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • interview with Bryon in MW Mag #15

    You can read the interview at http://mysticwicksmagazine.com/?p=1160

    Great interview, Bryon!

    Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ben Gruagach View Post
    You can read the interview at http://mysticwicksmagazine.com/?p=1160

    Great interview, Bryon!
    It was a good interview.

    I'm however wondering why Bryon says to never self publish. I think one should never save never (even the raven). Of course, the publishing business is a tough one and one should be prepared to do real work with a game plan. The most difficult things are to know one's market and to establish *real* distribution.

    In the mass market, the distribution networks are pretty much locked up. In smaller and educational markets, one has a chance to distribute as well as anyone else.

    The best advice is to structure one's life and expenses based on what one does and the expectation, as well as reality of income. Rose colored glasses are like sticking thorns in one's eyes. OTOH bartering one's creativity to the "Man" or the "Woman" is giving away parts of one's lives unnecessarily.

    Searles O'Dubhain
    Last edited by odubhain; April 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM. Reason: typos

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by odubhain View Post
      It was a good interview.

      I'm however wondering why Bryon says to never self publish. I think one should never save never (even the raven). Of course, the publishing business is a tough one and one should be prepared to do real work with a game plan. The most difficult things are to know one's market and to establish *real* distribution.

      In the mass market, the distribution networks are pretty much locked up. In smaller and educational markets, one has a chance to distribute as well as anyone else.

      The best advice is to structure one's life and expenses based on what one does and the expectation, as well as reality of income. Rose colored glasses are like sticking thorns in one's eyes. OTOH bartering one's creativity to the "Man" or the "Woman" is giving away parts of one's lives unnecessarily.

      Searles O'Dubhain
      Well, as I said in other threads (though I apparently forgot to specify here...) I was referring to fiction writing. Niche non-fiction, like metaphysical or Pagan writing, is generally not geared towards the general public, but rather a small group of people who are already used to seeking out alternative venues for those types of books. I mean, nobody expects to find books about Paganism in your local grocery store or bookstore, but you will find many fiction books there, and none of them will be self-published.
      ________________________________________________________________________

      Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
      (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)


      Comment


      • #4
        Oh, and the whole thing about the ADF in that article is now basically old news. I just couldn't get into it. This has led me to the decision that I will not publicly discuss the intricacies of my "Family Path" until we're certain that we're going to stick with our new one. (I'm rather excited about it...but I don't want to seem like we're being wishy-washy at the Morrigan household...)
        ________________________________________________________________________

        Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
        (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
          Well, as I said in other threads (though I apparently forgot to specify here...) I was referring to fiction writing. Niche non-fiction, like metaphysical or Pagan writing, is generally not geared towards the general public, but rather a small group of people who are already used to seeking out alternative venues for those types of books. I mean, nobody expects to find books about Paganism in your local grocery store or bookstore, but you will find many fiction books there, and none of them will be self-published.
          I did read some other threads here where the "never" statements was qualified a bit. I'm glad to see that it is also clarified here.

          Distribution to market is as important as writing quality or maybe even more so for mass market book sales.

          FWIW my wife writes romance novels and such. She definitely benefits from having a separate publisher and its distribution (though one can only hope that the distribution and marketing will get better).

          Searles O'Dubhain

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
            Oh, and the whole thing about the ADF in that article is now basically old news. I just couldn't get into it. This has led me to the decision that I will not publicly discuss the intricacies of my "Family Path" until we're certain that we're going to stick with our new one. (I'm rather excited about it...but I don't want to seem like we're being wishy-washy at the Morrigan household...)
            Oh?

            You're not in ADF now?

            It's more eclectic than my own path but a great place to learn about things that were, are and can be.

            I'll be interested in learning more about your path as it fosters within you a desire to share.

            Also FWIW my ancestors settled the area in which you now live, so I have something of a feel for your surrounding though my own personal experiences there are somewhat dated.

            Don't forget to wear your kilt on National Tartan Day this Tuesday. Sad to say, but I'll probably be the only person in an area of about 50,000 people to be wearing one at work.

            Searles O'Dubhain

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by odubhain View Post
              You're not in ADF now?
              I didn't quit per se...I just couldn't get into it.

              Originally posted by odubhain View Post
              Don't forget to wear your kilt on National Tartan Day this Tuesday. Sad to say, but I'll probably be the only person in an area of about 50,000 people to be wearing one at work.
              If I actually leave the house, that is...LOL.

              Really, when you work from home as I do...well...I tend to be very hermit-like...

              Pretty much only time I leave the house is to go bike riding with the family, and that is an activity not well-suited to the kilt. Ha!
              ________________________________________________________________________

              Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
              (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)


              Comment


              • #8
                For some reason I thought you were Asatru for awhile.....
                "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
                instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
                which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
                  For some reason I thought you were Asatru for awhile.....
                  Oh, I could never go Asatru. They're way too Conservative for me...LOL. (j/k)

                  I used to teach Norse Mythology to 4th graders at a private school though...which is why I also school my kids in those myths as well.
                  ________________________________________________________________________

                  Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
                  (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)


                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X