Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Astara Seague View Post
    Welcome Mike
    Thank you, Astara! It's great to be here. What's your kitty's name? I love cats. BTW, your title line reminds me of a favorite lyric from an old Chuck Berry song: "C'est la vie, said the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell!"
    By the way, my MySpace site is
    http://www.myspace.com/witchessabbats

Bright Blessings,
    Mike

"'The best thing for being sad,' replied Merlyn, 'is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails.'"
    --T. H. White, The Once and Future King.

Comment

Originally posted by mike nichols View Post
      LOL! That's exactly what I'd expect from the ex-Catholics. Or any of the "high church" alumni, Aglican, Episcopalian, etc. Also anyone raised in the Jewish faith. They not only understand the language or ritual, but they also understand its syntax. Because it has one! Certain things have to come before other things in a ceremony, if it's to make ritual sense.

Yes, that is what the class was all about on Saturday, going through the plans for the Imbolc Ritual and explaining why we do rituals in a certain order (why you create sacred space before inviting the honored guests, why you do any magic and energy work before having cakes and ale/wine). Planning the class really helped me get those things straight in my own head since the church I grew up in didn't celebrate high ritual. I am learning and growing right along with the rest of the group, which is exactly as it should be IMO.

Good heavens, yes, it's okay that you've used my stuff in your teachings. That's what I wrote it for. And I'm highly honored that you would choose it.
      Um... got anything for a retirement ritual? :hehehehe:
      We have a member who is retiring from his job as a machinist next month. I'm planning a very light-hearted caffeine ritual, but I know there needs to be more substance to it for it be really meaningful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunacie View Post
        We have a member who is retiring from his job as a machinist next month. I'm planning a very light-hearted caffeine ritual, but I know there needs to be more substance to it for it be really meaningful.
        I hope Mike doesn't mind me butting in with a link that might help: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=35281

Ben Gruagach
        MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
        author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
        visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
        read my LiveJournal blog
        find me on Facebook

Comment

Thanks Ben. I saw that page earlier when I was browsing for ideas. I agree with author about "cookie cutter" rituals. That's one reason I thought we'd make this a "coffee ritual" - T** is a real coffee-holic. Actually his major craving is chocolate, but we already did the chocolate ritual for his wife's birthday a couple of years ago. So doing it again for him would be "cookie cutter."

I want it to be light hearted and joshing, but I also want to recognize that this is a major passage. I found a good ritual involving coffee (thank you Air for wafting the delicious aroma of brewing coffee, etc.) but it seems very skimpy, so I'm looking for other stuff to fill it out.

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack the "welcome to Mike Nichols".

Comment

Yes, that is what the class was all about on Saturday, going through the plans for the Imbolc Ritual and explaining why we do rituals in a certain order (why you create sacred space before inviting the honored guests, why you do any magic and energy work before having cakes and ale/wine). Planning the class really helped me get those things straight in my own head since the church I grew up in didn't celebrate high ritual. I am learning and growing right along with the rest of the group, which is exactly as it should be IMO.
            There is an old saying that, if you really want to learn a subject thoroughly, just try teaching it! It has worked for me for nearly 40 years! (Geez, did I say that out loud? How do I backspace on this thing?!)

There is another old saying that those who can't do, teach. LOL!!! Oddly enough, although I can analyse and diagram a ritual the way some people diagram sentences, I don't consider myself a great ritualist. My writing is prose, probably more akin to a tech manual. Good ritual is closer to poetry. Some people have a natural gift at writing it. I do not. I only write about it.

Bright Blessings,
            Mike

"'The best thing for being sad,' replied Merlyn, 'is to learn something. That is the only thing that never fails.'"

Comment

There is an old saying that, if you really want to learn a subject thoroughly, just try teaching it! It has worked for me for nearly 40 years! (Geez, did I say that out loud? How do I backspace on this thing?!)

There is another old saying that those who can't do, teach. LOL!!! Oddly enough, although I can analyse and diagram a ritual the way some people diagram sentences, I don't consider myself a great ritualist. My writing is prose, probably more akin to a tech manual. Good ritual is closer to poetry. Some people have a natural gift at writing it. I do not. I only write about it.

My mother taught me to sew many years ago. She could take bits of two or more patterns and make something completely unique. I guess that's where I learned to take bits of more than one ritual and add some ideas from here and there and come up with something that not only works, but works pretty dang well. However, I don't think it would be nearly as good if I sat down with a planner and wrote my own ritual from scratch.

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

Its exciting to see so many authors in one place.
                Walking Wolf's Road: A work in progress by D. Burch

I'm ANTI-Peta! I will not support them, nor their associates.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasari View Post
                  Welcome to the forums!
                  Thank you so much!

Its exciting to see so many authors in one place.
                  Yeah, now if we can just keep them all from arguing...

Bright Blessings,
                  Mike

Comment

Yeah, now if we can just keep them all from arguing...
                    lol,
                    Ahh, well. If there is one thing I've learned well in life, its that conflict spurs growth and development far quicker than sweet nothings.

To be less than eloquent with words. It can really put a fire under one's arse to get something done or research something. Or it can lead to new realizations or turn into a form of inspiration. So even if some of the authors argue with each other at times, it may be beneficial to them and / or their work. Never know.:bigblue:

Comment

lol,
                      Ahh, well. If there is one thing I've learned well in life, its that conflict spurs growth and development far quicker than sweet nothings.
                      Oh, I don't know... Sweet nothings can sure spur growth in certain-- oops, wait a sec... Is this forum moderated???

To be less than eloquent with words. It can really put a fire under one's arse to get something done or research something. Or it can lead to new realizations or turn into a form of inspiration. So even if some of the authors argue with each other at times, it may be beneficial to them and / or their work. Never know.:bigblue:
                      Actually, I quite agree. And I quite like your attitude about research, too. I decided from a very early age that it was cool to know stuff. (Hence, the quote in my sig file.)

Bright Blessings,
                      Mike

Comment

Oh, I don't know... Sweet nothings can sure spur growth in certain-- oops, wait a sec... Is this forum moderated???
                        haha, I do believe it is.

Actually, I quite agree. And I quite like your attitude about research, too. I decided from a very early age that it was cool to know stuff. (Hence, the quote in my sig file.)
                        I certainly agree with the quote. Nothing cheers me up more than learning something new, trying something new or doing research. Well, aside from good friends, family, the heathen cats, the hubby and a cup of coffee. Then again, All of that tends to lead toward new lessons, experiences and research. So it becomes quite an active circle.

Comment

Working...
                        X