Witchcrafting: A Guide to Wiccan Spirituality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witchcrafting: A Guide to Wiccan Spirituality

It's amazing. My local library has a book on wicca.

It's called Witchcrafting: A Guide to Wiccan Spirituality by Phyllis Curott. I am thinking about taking it out, it might give me new ideas on following my path. But my question is: is it a good book with good information? I flipped through it, and it did look like a "basics only" type wiccan book, but it does have a lot of information, it seems.

To those who have read it, is it worth my time? I already read Cunningham, Starhawk, SRW ( ) and other sites on Wicca...does it have anything new?

-Be Witchy- -Be Cute- -Live Happy-

While some of it is quite basic, there are some visualizatioin exercises and a few other things that are worth the price of admission, so to speak.

I personally like it, myself. When I feel myself getting away from the spiritual side of things, I pull this one off the shelf.
    "We are all born with an umbilical cord of melancholy. Some of us never shed it. We stay submerged in deep, yet beautiful, sadness."~~S.B.

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say."~~Anais Nin

Comment

Alright. Thanks.

-Be Witchy- -Be Cute- -Live Happy-

Comment

Lovely book - Curott is a wonderful writer and if I remember correctly she has some very good exercises in that book! Also check out her first one, Book of Shadows, about her transition to Wicca and her personal experiences - wonderful!
        "Witches do not kiss the Devil's posterior, first because they do not kiss anyone's posterior and, secondly, because the Devil is never there for anyone to kiss." - Gerald Gardner

Blessed Summer Greetings to All

Comment

It's seemed preety interesting to me.
          My law is love unto all beings..
          -The Charge of the Goddess

TryVegetarian.com

Comment

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=26938
            We've seen our share of ups and downs
            Oh how quickly life can turn around
            In an instant
            It feels so good to reunite
            Within yourself and within your mind
            Let's find peace there

Comment

I really liked her Book of Shadows, so if you found others by her in the library, I'd say get it. The way I see library stuff is FREE information! Even if you check out something that's pure crap apart from maybe one thing you can use, then you're ahead. I've checked out every pagan book my library has, and even re-checked em out later when I was further along my path to see if different information appealed to me at that point in time.
              ~*Sit by a river. Find peace and meaning in the rhythm of the lifeblood of the earth.*~
              Tali McGregor
              TornadoAli.com

Comment

I have both of Ms. Curott's books, and enjoy them very much.
                Was reading Witchcrafting last night, as a matter of fact.

Definately check it out!!

Banners by Cloakie

Comment

I've also read Book of Shadows and really enjoyed it... so much so that I went looking for Witchcrafting. I've not gotten to read through this one yet, but what I have seen thus far makes me want to pick it up.

And you're right -- books from the library are free, so go ahead and check it out.

-- novena

Comment

SHe's OK, but her history is at times more than questionable. In 'Book of Shadows' such things as all music that was not religious was outlawed during the time of the witch hunts, 'they burned all the drums' and the standard 'nine million female pagans were burned at the stake' crop up, as well as the typical 'Wicca = women's religion' and 'Christianty = bad'. She's a good author, writes very well, but she's a bit too fluffy for my tastes.

Comment

I read it, and liked it. I never got the vibe that she thought Wicca was a 'women's religion', just that women had a stronger role in it than many other religions. I haven't read Book of Shadows, but Witchcrafting was the first Pagan-oriented book I bought for myself, and I love it.
                      Only in Kenya!
                      http://www.weebls-stuff.com/

shiny avatar found at www.avatarity.com

(\_/)
                      (O.o)
                      (> <) look...a bunny!

Comment

I'm so spooky, I pee darkness!

After being so thoroughly displeased with the Wiccan literature that was available at the time, Witchcrafting was a breath of fresh air. I had to stop and put down the book and tell a friend once I had read her commentary on the Threefold Law. She had not only tackled one of my biggest problems with what I had been reading of Wicca, and even Witchcraft, but she had done it in a way that I could not agree more - I wouldn't have even been able to word it better if I tried.

It remains to this day, one of the most impressive books that I have ever read. Although I am no longer Wiccan (but I am still a practicing Witch), I still find this publication to be of enormous benefit to those of us who have been thoroughly disenchanted with contemporary Wicca. Thusly, Curott-sensei has my gratitude.
                        この世には偶然なんてないわ。あるのは、必然だけ。

Comment

I completely agree Rin. It's been years since I picked up a recently published book on the topic because they all seemed to be the same, and more out for cover art points than actually getting deeply into the religion. I find this book to be different in that she explores beyond just how to do "stuff", but gets into the deeper mysteries and talks a lot about the Divine. I'm very pleased with this book and it has helped rekindle my spirituality.

Comment

I thought the book was fantastic! I just finished it and I am recomending my husband to read it!

Comment

I loved this book. Instead of just piling on information it encouarged you to question and explore rather than just accepting what you are told. The exercises are really good and the discussion she provoked. I will definately be looking for more from her

**~ Please PM me for a reading ~**

Comment

Working...
                              X