MW Library!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenEyes BlueSoul View Post
    If we don't post the files in the posts they will not be searchable. mol wants to have the actual text posted so we can easily find what we're looking for. It would be good to have both though.
    I did not realize that making the texts searchable with the MysticWicks forum search was part of the plan. That does make sense.

If the goal is to have a searchable database of spiritual documents though it might be better to just point people towards things like sacred-texts.com where they've already got that project well under way. They could also use our support instead of recreating what they've got elsewhere. (They're also very open to new submissions if there are public-domain documents you feel should be included.)

But if the goal is to have searchable texts that would come up in the usual search feature here at MysticWicks, including both the discussions as well as text files, then posting documents as threads would do the job.

Just trying to suggest options!

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Comment

This was a great idea! Thank you!!
      * Etsy Shop *

Comment

This is going to be a great resource. Well done to everyone involved and thanks for the work you are putting in on this.
        😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Comment

Speaking of.... I'm considering looking for a MW Librarian. I don't have time to post all the texts I want in here.
          I noticed the Kemetic/Egyptian folder has never been posted in. I know Budge and some others are no longer under copyright. I would happily volunteer to post some stuff in the library.

Senebty!
          NefertSatSekhmet
          Daughter of Sekhmet-Mut, beloved of Bast and Aset
          Visit Sekhmet's Pride

MW Forum Guide-
          Paths: Egyptians, Tamerans, and Kemetics

Comment

That would be wonderful. I'll add you to the Librarian list, if you don't mind.
            Support MW by subscribing

We don't exist without your help.

Comment

That would be wonderful. I'll add you to the Librarian list, if you don't mind.
              Hey, do you need another Librarian?? If you want, I have credentials ... I volunteered at a Library for 5 years... but more so becasue I have a good 4 Gigs of public domain texts I would like to share! Most specifically in Buddhism and Hinduism... and a few other things.

Namaste

Tobias

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
              मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
              ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Comment

:fpraise:

I'll set you up! I'm so glad to have more help!

Comment

If you need more help posting things, I'd love to be involved. I have many texts that are not yet posted- mostly relating to Scottish, Welsh and Irish mythology and worship. Of course so many of those texts from the 1800's are questionable, but still useful in their own way, I think. In many cases, they're all we've got

Anyway, thanks for putting so much work into this. I think this will be a great resource in the future!
                  Libris

"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." ~Theodore Rubin

Comment

I would be happy to add you to the Librarian group. We need all the help we can get.

Comment

Awesome :D As soon as I am allowed, I'll start adding (public domain) texts (^_^)

-Goes off to browse through her files-
                      Libris

"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." ~Theodore Rubin

Comment

You are all set Please visit the Librarians Corner first. Thanks so much for your help.

Comment

Is there anything I can do to help???
                          Cupid needs a pair of glasses.
                          or I just need a restraining order.

Wolf Credo

Respect the elders
                          Teach the young
                          Cooperate with the pack
                          Play when you can
                          Hunt when you must
                          Rest in between
                          Share you affections
                          Voice your feelings
                          Leave your mark.

I have been ghosted by Lighting Strike
                          :irish: I have been Shamrocked by Lilith Morgaine

Comment

Same here; is there anything I can do to help? It seems to have gone fairly quiet in here.
                            Cheers,
                            Alex
                            Now taking tarot reading requests - PM me if you're interested.

Comment

so, whats the protocol here for getting something added?

theres a bunch of free and legal stuff out there!

Originally posted by Ben Gruagach View Post
                              Just wondering (and I hope this question doesn't offend those who've worked hard posting texts...)

Would it be possible to post these wonderful public domain texts as file attachments to the threads instead of as a series of cut-and-paste posts? TXT is an allowed file attachment format and is ideal for these sorts of longer texts. (Other formats are also allowed for attachments such as graphic files but also other document formats such as MS Word's DOC, and Adobe Acrobat's PDF.)

File attachments would make the threads easier to check out, and people could choose to print out the whole thing on their own printers much more easily (and with their own preferred formatting if they want to format the TXT or DOC files) than if they want to save a document from a bunch of separate posts in a thread.

I've done a sample thread with the public-domain version of Leland's "Aradia" in both TXT and PDF formats. It's here.
                              I think this is a great idea, although, why not both? :D
                              Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
                              (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
                              anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Comment

Working...
                              X