For is the heart not wise?
    Is the heart not foolish?
    Oh glorious Lady I beseech
    You on this Your day!
    Shine in splendor
    Aphrodite and enjoy the gifts
    made in Your honor Oh Aphrodite
    beloved of all!
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Comment

• Sinjin and Alize' My Brave Boys

I am thankful that I have you in our lives
      I am thankful because last night you barked
      and growled and snarled in your scariest way
      which is a difficult feat for such cute boys!
      You'll never be bad-asses that much is true!
      But your the best dogs anyone could ever ask for
      and I wouldn't trade the pair of you for a billion
      dollars! I love you boys thank you!
      Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
      "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Comment

• Feast of Apollo 2008

Apollo!
        You are the Golden One!
        You aim Your arrows high!
        And make the perfect shot!
        You are warm, and healing Golden God!
        You are Sun in Splendor
        the coming light at the rim
        of the earth!
        Plants yearn towards You
        seeking Your light
        and nourishing energy!
        Be adored and revered on this
        Your sacred day!
        Hail Apollo!
        Beloved of my heart!

Comment

• Feast of Apollo 2008

Hyacinthus, the young son of the King of Sparta, beautiful like the very gods of Mount Olympus, was beloved of Apollo, shooter of arrows. The god often came down to the shores of the Eurotas River, leaving his shrine in Delphi unattended, to spend time with his young friend and delight in boyish pleasures. Tired of his music and his long bow, Apollo found relief in rustic pastimes. He would take Hyacinthus hunting through the woods and glades on the mountain sides, or they would practice gymnastics, a skill which Hyacinthus then taught to his friends, and for which later the Spartans would become renowned. The simple life awoke Apollo's appetites, and made the curly-haired boy seem more charming than ever. Apollo gave him all his love, forgetting he was a mere mortal.

Once, in the heat of a summer afternoon, the lovers stripped naked, sleeked themselves with olive oil, and tried their hand at discus throw, each vying to outdo the other. The bronze discus flew higher and higher. Finally, the powerful god gathered all his strength, and spun and wheeled and let fly the shiny disk which rose swift as a bird, cutting the clouds in two. Then, glittering like a star, it began to tumble down.

Hyacinthus ran to meet it. He was hurrying to take his turn, to prove to Apollo that he, though young, was no less able than the god at this sport. The discus landed, but having fallen from such a great height it bounced and violently struck Hyacinthus in the head. He let out a groan and crumpled to the ground. The blood spurted thickly from his wound, coloring crimson the black hair of the handsome youth.

Horrified, Apollo raced over. He bent over his friend, raised him up, rested the boy's head on his knees, trying desperately to staunch the blood flowing from the wound. But it was all in vain. Hyacinthus grew paler and paler. His eyes, always so clear, lost their gleam and his head rolled to one side, just like a flower of the field wilting under the pitiless rays of the noonday sun. Heartbroken, Apollo cried out: "Death has taken you in his claws, beloved friend! Woe, for by my own hand you have died. And yet its crime was meeting yours at play. Was that a crime? Or was my love to blame - the guilt that follows love that loves too much? Oh, if only I could pay for my deed by joining you in your journey to the cheerless realms of the dead. Oh, why am I cursed to live forever? Why can't I follow you?"

Death of Hyacinthus

Apollo held his dying friend close to his breast, and his tears fell in a stream onto the boy's bloody hair. Hyacinthus died, and his soul flew to the kingdom of Hades. The god bent close to the dead boy's ear, and softly whispered: "In my heart you will live forever, beautiful Hyacinthus. May your memory live always among men as well." And lo, at a word from Apollo, a fragrant red flower rose from Hyacinthus's blood. We call it hyacinth, and on its petals you can still read the letters "Ay," the sigh of pain that rose from Apollo's breast.

And the memory of Hyacinthus lived on among the gentlemen of Sparta, who gave honors to their son, and celebrated him for three days in mid-summer at the Hyakinthaea festival. The first day they would mourn his death, and the last two they would celebrate his ressurection.

Comment

• Artemis' Festival 2008

I sing of Artemis Khryselakatos (with shafts are of gold), Keladeine (strong-voiced), Parthenon Aidoine (the revered virgin), Elaphebolos (dear-shooting), Iokheaira (delighter in arrows), own sister to Apollon Khrysaor (of the golden sword). Over the shadowy hills and windy peaks she draws her golden bow, rejoicing in the chase, and sends out grievous shafts. The tops of the high mountains tremble and the tangled wood echoes awesomely with the outcry of beasts: earth quakes and the sea also where fishes shoal. But the goddess with a bold heart turns every way destroying the race of wild beasts: and when she is satisfied and has cheered her heart, then Theroskopos Iokheaira (the huntress who delights in arrows) slackens her supple bow and goes to the great house of her dear brother Phoibos Apollon, to the rich land of Delphoi, there to order the lovely dance of the Mousai (Muses) and Kharites (Graces). There she hangs up her curved bow and her arrows, and heads and leads the dances, gracefully arrayed, while all they utter their heavenly voice, singing how neat-ankled Leto bare children supreme among the immortals both in thought and deed. Hail to you, children of Zeus and rich-haired Leto! And now I will remember you and another song also." - Homeric Hymn 27 to Artemis

Comment

• Artemis' Festival 2008

CALLISTO [kal-lis'toh], or KALLISTO, "most beautiful," was a chaste huntress, just like the goddess Artemis whom she followed so devotedly. Zeus (or Jupiter, as Ovid tells it) no sooner saw Callisto than he fell in love with her and was determined to win her. He disguised himself as Artemis, knowing full well that in this transformation he could best win her confidence and affection. When Zeus pressed his attentions too ardently, his deception became only too clear to poor Callisto, who struggled in vain. Callisto rejoined Artemis and her companions but eventually, when they bathed together, she could not disguise the fact that she was pregnant. Artemis was furious with Callisto for her betrayal and expelled her from the sacred group.

Hera (or Juno) had long been aware of her husband's guilt, and when Callisto gave birth to a son, named ARCAS [ar'kas], or ARKAS, she took her revenge. She turned Callisto into a bear but her mind remained intact; thus alone and afraid, she wandered the forests.

Arcas grew up and, in his fifteenth year, while hunting he encountered his mother Callisto, a bear whose human and relentless gaze frightened him. As he was about to drive a spear through her body, Zeus intervened and prevented the matricide. He brought them both up to the heavens where he transformed them into constellations.

Callisto became the Great bear (Ursa Major); Arcas perhaps became the Little Bear (Ursa Minor) or the Bear Warden (Arctophylax, or Arcturus, or Boِtes).

Comment

• Artemis

I thank You O Lady
                for Your words of wisdom

Comment

• Gamelia of Zeus 2008

Zeus! You showedYour powers gently
                  by calling in soft winter rains!
                  Even though no flash of lightning rent the skies
                  Eve n though no thunder shook the air
                  Your power was felt ever still.
                  Zeus today You are honored and revered
                  Oh highest of Olympians!
                  Mighty Zeus!
                  Today is Your day today!
                  Hail Zeus!

Comment

• Gamelia of Zeus 2008

To Zeus Keraunos (Thundering). O father Zeus, who shakest with fiery light the world, deep-sounding from thy lofty height. From thee proceeds the ethereal lightning’s blaze, flashing around intolerable rays. Thy sacred thunders shake the blest abodes, the shining regions of the immortal Gods. Thy power divine the flaming lightning shrouds with dark investiture in fluid clouds. ‘Tis thine to brandish thunders strong and dire, to scatter storms, and dreadful darts of fire; with roaring flames involving all around, and bolts of thunder of tremendous sound. Thy rapid dart can raise the hair upright, and shake the heart of man with wild affright. Sudden, unconquered, holy, thundering God, with noise unbounded flying all abroad; with all-devouring force, entire and strong, horrid, untamed, thou rollest the flames along. Rapid, ethereal bolt, descending fire, the earth, all-parent,
                    trembles at thine ire; the sea all-shining, and each beast, that hears the sound terrific, with dread horror fears: when nature’s face is bright with flashing fire, and in the heavens resound they thunders dire. They thunders white the azure garments tear, and burst the veil of all-surrounding air. O Zeus, all-blessed, may thy wrath severe, hurled in the bosom of the deep appear, and on the tops of mountains be revealed, for thy strong arm is not from us concealed. Propitious to these sacred rites incline, and to thy suppliants grant a life divine, add royal health, and gentle peace beside, with upright reasoning for a constant guide." - Orphic Hymn 19 to Thundering Zeus

Comment

• Gamelia of Zeus 2008

ZEUS: Top God of the Earth and Ruler of Mount Olympus, the lofty cloudland where the Greek Gods live and look down upon mankind.

He is a real high-flyer, an Olympic champion, battling with the giant TITANS, casting thunderbolts and engaged in all manner of gut-busting glorious Godly pursuits.

His father CRONUS was so terrified of the newborn baby ZEUS's awesome power that he swallowed him up. And lived to regret it. It was left to AMALTHEA (and her goat) to protect the budding SuperGod while he learned to walk, talk, and rule the Universe. Since then he's never looked back.

ZEUS is married to the long-suffering HERA, but spends most of his time lusting after Goddesses, mortals, animals, and indeed anything that will keep still long enough.

It's tough at the top being the most fantastic hunky irresistible God of all time and having constantly to prove it. And never a quiet night in with slippers and a mug of cocoa because he has to keep his long-suffering wife HERA happy too. Their trials and tribulations form the basis of half the Greek entries in our database.

ZEUS has had so many mistresses and fathered so many children that there's no point in giving a list here. Just take our word for it. See also CRONUS, RHEA, HEPHAESTUS, ATHENA... and in fact most of the other Greek Gods.

Moving on to more Godly matters, ZEUS was also known to the ancient Greeks as Epiphanes, the Magnificent One, whenever a certain star appeared in the east. This was celebrated with piph-ups known as epiphanies.

When he's not running around after nubile Goddesses in the form of a lusty animal, ZEUS looks after Law, upholds Justice, and casts thunderbolts on those deserving it.

www.godchecker.com
                      Last edited by aluokaloo; February 21st, 2008, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Gamelia of Zeus 2008

Zeus and Io

Io was the daughter of Inachus, a river god. While Zeus was with Io, he caught a glimpse of Hera coming. Zeus quickly turned Io into a heifer, swearing that he had never seen it before; that just now the earth gave birth to it; a newborn, from the earth. Hera did not believe Zeus. She said how beautiful it was and asked Zeus if he would please make her a present of it. Sorry as Zeus was, he saw that he could not refuse. He turned Io over to his wife who knew quite well how to keep Io away from him.

Hera gave Io into the charge of Argus, a one hundred-eyed watchman, who could sleep with some of his eyes on guard. Zeus commanded Hermes, the messenger god, to find a way to kill Argus as Hermes was so clever. Hermes approached Argus as a shepherd playing on pan pipes.
                        "Come, sit by me. It's shady here. Just right for us!" Hermes said to Argus.

Hermes continued by playing a drowsy and monotonous song; a song about how the reeds became pan pipes. It was the love story of Syrinx, a nymph and Pan, a satyr. Oh, how Pan had fallen in love with Syrinx, yet she not her. Pan chased her and just as he was about to seize her, her sister nymphs turned her into reeds. Pan told Syrinx, "Still you shall be mine." He cut the reeds and joined them with beeswax- thus the shepherd's pipe. The combination of the story and music put most of Argus' eyes to sleep. Hermes in his quickness cut off Argus' head. Io was only able to walk away still in her cow form.

Hera soon found Io gone and Argus dead. She took Argus' one hundred eyes and sprinkled them in the tail feathers of her sacred bird, the peacock. Hera then sent a gad-fly (horse fly) to torment Io in her heifer form. Io swam across the Ionian Sea and the Bosphorus (Ford of a Cow) until she came to the Nile river. There Zeus restored her to her human form. Io gave birth to Epaphus, of whom Hercules is a descendant.

http://www.dl.ket.org/latin1/mytholo.../zeusloves.htm

Comment

• To the Gods Who Gave Me Wisdom Today

To Apollo,. to Freya and whoever else had helped me today.
                          I thank You all for Your wisdom in healing, I thank You for
                          the inspiration of the vessel for my healing today.
                          I know it worked out quite well.
                          You are all very much adored!
                          I hope You enjoyed Your offerings in
                          Your Glory and Grand Honor!

Comment

• O You beloved Fenris
                            Terrible and Fierce!
                            Majestic and beautiful!
                            Terrifying and Bloodthirsty
                            Gentle and Kind!
                            For being there with me!
                            For laughing with me!
                            For sharing knowing glances!
                            For Your presences!
                            When I am clean
                            and worthy I wll
                            spill my blood for You
                            in all Your Glory once more!

Comment

• Feast of Zephyrus 2008

Zephyrus!
                              Through Your soft breezes,
                              feather light and cool I know You
                              I hear Your laughter and feel Your love
                              for all that is good in life.
                              All I need do is step out and
                              embrace You in Your swift breath!
                              Be adored my beloved Wind on
                              soft wings! Glory is Yours
                              in the renewal of the World!

Comment

• Diana

Lady, I thank You for Your wisdom,
                                I thank You Dear Goddess for Your Perserverance
                                I thank You for the beauty, and the intrigue and the myths
                                I thank You Moon in splendor
                                Queen of Heavens
                                The Bright and Beautiful
                                The Mother
                                The Crescent Moon
                                for all the Glory that is Diana!
                                Ever will I think of You fondly as
                                I watch You making Your track across the night sky

Comment

Working...
                                X