Oh Athena Great!
    On this day of Your
    birth, Dauhgter
    of Metis, Daughter
    of Zeus which of His
    Head You have Sprung Lady!
    All Glory and Eyes be Upon
    You today!
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Comment

• Birth of Athena 2008

The Orphic Hymn to Athena
      with an incense of aromatic herbs
      -------------
      Only-begotten, noble race of Zeus,
      Blessed and fierce, who joyest in caves to rove:
      O, warlike Pallas, whose illustrious kind,
      Ineffable and effable we find:
      Magnanimous and famed, the rocky height,
      And groves, and shady mountains thee delight:
      In arms rejoicing, who with Furies dire
      And wild, the souls of mortals dost inspire.
      Gymnastic virgin of terrific mind,
      Dire Gorgon's bane, unmarried, blessed, kind:
      Gymnastic virgin of terrific mind,
      Dire Gorgon's bane, unmarried, blessed, kind:
      Mother of arts, impetuous; understood,
      Rage to the wicked, wisdom to the good:
      Female and male, the arts of war are thine,
      Fanatic, much-formed dragoness, divine:
      Over the Phlegrean giants, roused to ire,
      Thy coursers driving, with destruction dire.
      Sprung from the head of Zeus, of splendid mien,
      Purger of evils, all-victorious queen.
      Hear me, O Goddess, when to thee I pray,
      With supplicating voice both night and day,
      And in my latest hour, give peace and health,
      Propitious times, and necessary wealth,
      And, ever present, be thy votaries aid,
      O, much implored, art's parent, grey-eyed maid.
      Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
      "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Comment

• Birth of Athena 2008

Athena and the Gorgons

Medusa was the youngest and most beautiful of the three daughters of the sea Titans Porcys and Ceto. She was blessed with untold beauty and had long flowing hair that fell gently down from her head. Medusa was the only mortal of the three sisters, and all were very wise serving as priestesses under the goddess of wisdom and war Athena.The god Poseidon longed for beautiful Medusa, and in a moment of uncontrolled passion he raped Medusa in Athena's own temple. The three sisters than became angry and hated all men do to Poseidon's action. Athena soon grew disgusted with the three sisters new found wickedness, and the defiling sexual act that was committed in her temple. Athena transformed the three girls into hideous beasts, with wings and numerous snakes for hair. These beasts became known as the Gorgons and were so horrid to behold that whosoever looked at them would instantly turn to stone. As time went on Medusa and her sisters grew continually more wicked and took untold pleasure in torturing their victims. Their cruelty was than brought to an end by the Greek hero Perseus who with the help of the gods slew Medusa. The goddess Athena provided Perseus with a silver shield, the god Hermes winged sandals, and the god Hades a helmet which would make the wearer invisible.Wearing Hades helmet Perseus became invisible and approached the sleeping Medusa. He slew her by looking at her image through a reflection on Athena's shield, but never looked upon her with his own eyes knowing full well that this would turn him to stone. Chopping off her head he placed it into a bag to present it later to the goddess Athena.But as soon as he slue the Gorgon Medusa her sisters woke up in rage and raced to capture and kill Perseus, but with the help of the winged sandals that Hermes had given him, and the invisible helmet of Hades he managed to evade an escape the angered sisters.From Medusa's dead body sprang forth the elegant winged horse Pegasus and the giant winged horse Chrysaor the result of the union of Medusa and Poseidon.Perseus than presented Medusa's head to the goddess Athena, who placed Medusa's head into the center of her shield the Aegis, which she than wore over her breastplate.

Comment

• ATHENA: Famed Greek Goddess of War, Wisdom, Art, Technical Skill and Creative D.I.Y.

The daughter of ZEUS and METIS, she almost didn't get born at all after GAIA predicted that doom, woe and Olympian take-over bids would be the result. ZEUS, remembering how he'd overthrown his own father, grew nervous at the thought of having a daughter with attitude.

With the birth rapidly approaching, he finally hit upon a plan and swallowed METIS just before the crucial moment. But it wasn't long before strange tapping and banging noises began to emanate from inside him. What on earth was she doing in there? He was getting a headache.

A little while of this and the pain began unbearable. HEPHAESTUS, hearing the cries of agony, came running in and bashed his dad over the head with an Olympic wrench.

And from the split in ZEUS's skull sprang forth his daughter ATHENA. She was fully grown, fully dressed and fully armed with newly forged weapons and helmet. That's what all the noise was about.

Although wise and thoughtful, ATHENA is no shy maiden. Her best friend is NIKE, the Goddess of Victory, and she carries the Aegis, a flashy-looking device for zapping enemies.

She is, of course, highly skilled in arts, crafts and matters of intelligence. Her symbol is the owl, and in matters of wisdom she is always right. After all, who's going to argue with a War Goddess?

from godchecker.com

Comment

• Freya Thank You!

Freya Oh Golden Mistress of Seith!
            I want to thank You for healing me
            I want to thank You for putting up
            with me if it was just my overactive imagination
            Thank You Freya!

Comment

• Freya

Dear Freya
              I will be making
              an offering to You
              very soon.
              Whether I was delusional
              with hope and You saw fit
              to humor me by listening
              Or whether You lent a helping hand
              You deserve this sweet drink in Your
              Honor! Be adored Freya!

Comment

• Hades Passage 2008

Hades! Oh You Somber God
                Oh You Lord of the Afterlife
                Soveriegn of the Shades
                You Who look after all
                Those who rest
                and those who have
                condemned themselves!
                Oh Hades! Lord of Life after Death
                Tonight is solely for Your honor alone!
                Tonight You will be revered greatly!
                Though You are not Death Dealer
                Nor Life Stalker, Your ties are great!
                You Who's waters may bring instant oblivion
                those Who know the secrets of the waters
                of remembrance! The ghostly flowers
                and the forever foods which ensure the dead's
                continiued exsistence! Be revered O Lord Hades!
                For this be Your day!

Comment

• Hades Passage 2008

HADES: Greek God of the Underworld and son of CRONUS and RHEA.

When the family fortune was divvied up, he got the Underworld share while his brothers ZEUS and POSEIDON were given the Earth and Sea. There's nothing wrong with nepotism as long as you keep it in the family. They even named the place after him.

Unlike many Underworld Gods, HADES is quite affable provided you treat him with respect. And although a dingy and dull place, Hades itself seems to be a very popular joint — Greek heroes are always nipping down there to rescue their mates or consult the dead.

But HADES doesn't really approve of these shady goings-on. The Land of the Dead is supposed to be for the dead, alright? Even if you get past CHARON and STYX, there's a whole team of demonic officials to fend off enquiries, including THANATOS, CHARON and HYPNOS. Watch out for their bureaucratic dead tape. And don't eat any pomegranates or you'll be trapped there like his wife PERSEPHONE.

HADES, known to the Romans as PLUTO, has an enormous guard dog named CERBERUS keeping watch on the entrance to the Underworld. The sign on Hell's Gate does not read 'Beware of the Dog'. It reads: 'Beware of the Three-Headed Serpent-Maned Monster Hound with Slavering Jaws and Deadly Halitosis'.

Very few people have ever tried to reason with it.

from; www.godchecker.com

Comment

• Hades Passage 2008

Beneath the hills and wrapped in night, the cavernous plains below, the realm of Hades.
                    Mystic Hades, Holder of the Keys of Earth,
                    Incline Thy sacred ear, unlock Thy deep and adamantine gates,
                    and bring abundant fruits to bear.
                    All needy mortals pray to Thee, and You reply with riches from your hidden chambers.
                    The seat of Gods, the basis of mankind is fixed upon
                    Thine Avernean throne in the Underworld,
                    Distant, unknown to rest, where darkness reigns,
                    and destitute of breath, pale specters dwell.
                    In dread Acheron, whose depths are shrouded, And Earth's stable roots are held secure,
                    Thou determines the fates of the dead,
                    heeding the council of Queen Persephone, Thy wife.
                    In Thy black chariot, by sable horses drawn rapt over the deep, in the wondrous cave of Atthis, the wide gates display the entrance to Thy realm devoid of light.
                    Thou shelters mortal souls in the comforting heart of Gaia, in the dark womb of Earth.
                    Father of Dionysus, of subtle works, Thou alone are the author, visible and known.
                    Teacher of Mysteries, Rapturous Lover, Power All Ruling, Holy Giver of Hope,
                    who delights in the hymns of sacred poets,
                    Grant favor to the work of Your Priestesses and Priests,
                    And rejoicing come, for Holy rites are Thine.

Ancient Hymn to Hades
                    Last edited by aluokaloo; April 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Hades Passage 2008

Sokrates : Give ear then, as they say, to a right fine story, which you will regard as a fable, I fancy, but I as an actual account; for what I am about to tell you I mean to offer as the truth. By Homer's account, Zeus, Poseidon, and Plouton [Haides] divided the sovereignty amongst them when they took it over from their father [Kronos]. Now in the time of Kronos there was a law concerning mankind, and it holds to this very day amongst the gods, that every man who has passed a just and holy life departs after his decease to the Isles of the Blest (Nesoi Makaron), and dwells in all happiness apart from ill; but whoever has lived unjustly and impiously goes to the dungeon of requital and penance which, you know, they call Tartaros. Of these men there were judges in Kronos' time, and still of late in the reign of Zeus--living men to judge the living upon the day when each was to breathe his last; and thus the cases were being decided amiss. So Plouton [Haides] and the overseers from the Isles of the Blest came before Zeus with the report that they found men passing over to either abode undeserving. Then spake Zeus : `Nay,' said he, `I will put a stop to these proceedings. The cases are now indeed judged ill and it is because they who are on trial are tried in their clothing, for they are tried alive. Now many,' said he, `who have wicked souls are clad in fair bodies and ancestry and wealth, and at their judgement appear many witnesses to testify that their lives have been just. Now, the judges are confounded not only by their evidence but at the same time by being clothed themselves while they sit in judgement, having their own soul muffled in the veil of eyes and ears and the whole body. Thus all these are a hindrance to them, their own habiliments no less than those of the judged. Well, first of all,' he said, `we must put a stop to their foreknowledge of their death; for this they at present foreknow. However, Prometheus has already been given the word to stop this in them. Next they must be stripped bare of all those things before they are tried; for they must stand their trial dead. Their judge also must be naked, dead, beholding with very soul the very soul of each immediately upon his death, bereft of all his kin and having left behind on earth all that fine array, to the end that the judgement may be just. Now I, knowing all this before you, have appointed sons of my own to be judges; two from Asia, Minos and Rhadamanthys, and one from Europe, Aiakos. These, when their life is ended, shall give judgement in the meadow at the dividing of the road, whence are the two ways leading, one to the Isles of the Blest (Nesoi Makaron), and the other to Tartaros. And those who come from Asia shall Rhadamanthys try, and those from Europe, Aiakos; and to Minos I will give the privilege of the final decision, if the other two be in any doubt; that the judgement upon this journey of mankind may be supremely just."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Haides.html#Birth

Comment

• Gaia's Homage 2008

Oh Lady Gaia
                        Mother of us all
                        Every single thing is Your child
                        You are the Giver of Life
                        Nourishing us at Your breast
                        You Gaia are the Destroyer of Life
                        so that the old can make way for the new
                        Young You were and dangerous
                        but yet You prevailed
                        You had Your way
                        and Life sprung
                        and alongside death
                        O' Bounteous Goddess
                        this is Your special day
                        You adored
                        marveled at
                        revered!
                        I make my offerings to You between now and
                        the 22nd of this month
                        I pledge that for one whole week of this month
                        I shall be off the computer
                        and that there shall be limited tv time
                        I vow to collect 4 bags of litter
                        Hail Gaia Glorious Mother!

Comment

• Gaia's Homage 2008

Hesiod's Theogony (116ff) tells how, after Chaos, arose broad-breasted Gaia the everlasting foundation of the gods of Olympus. She brought forth Uranus, the starry sky, her equal, to cover her, the hills, and the fruitless deep of the Sea, Pontus, "without sweet union of love," out of her own self through parthenogenesis. But afterwards, as Hesiod tells it, she lay with her son, Uranus, and bore the World-Ocean Oceanus, Coeus and Crius and the Titans Hyperion and Iapetus, Theia and Rhea, Themis, Mnemosyne, and Phoebe of the golden crown, and lovely Tethys. "After them was born Cronus the wily, youngest and most terrible of her children, and he hated his lusty sire."

Hesiod mentions Gaia's further offspring conceived with Uranus: first the giant one-eyed Cyclopes: Brontes ("thunderer"), Steropes ("lightning") and the "bright" Arges: "Strength and might and craft were in their works." Then he adds the three terrible hundred-handed sons of Earth and Heaven, the Hecatonchires: Cottus, Briareos and Gyges, each with fifty heads.

Greek deities
                          series
                          Titans and Olympians
                          Aquatic deities
                          Personified concepts
                          Other deities

Primordial deities
                          Chaos
                          Aether
                          Gaia
                          Uranus
                          Eros
                          Erebus
                          Nyx
                          Tartarus

Chthonic deities
                          Hades and Persephone,
                          Gaia, Demeter, Hecate,
                          Iacchus, Trophonius,
                          Triptolemus, Erinyes

Uranus hid the Hecatonchires and the Cyclopes in Tartarus so that they would not see the light, rejoicing in this evil doing. This caused pain to Gaia (Tartarus was her bowels) so she created grey flint (or adamantine) and shaped a great flint sickle, gathering together Cronos and his brothers to ask them to obey her. Only Cronos, the youngest, had the daring to take the flint sickle she made, and castrate his father as he approached Gaia to have intercourse with her. And from the drops of blood and semen, Gaia brought forth still more progeny, the strong Erinyes and the armoured Gigantes and the ash-tree Nymphs called the Meliae.

Comment

• Gaia's Homage 2008

Orphic Hymn to Gaia

Oh Goddess, Source of Gods and Mortals,
                            All-Fertile, All-Destroying Gaia,
                            Mother of All, Who brings forth the bounteous fruits and flowers,
                            All variety, Maiden who anchors the eternal world in our own,
                            Immortal, Blessed, crowned with every grace,
                            Deep bosomed Earth, sweet plains and fields fragrant grasses in the nurturing rains,
                            Around you fly the beauteous stars, eternal and divine,
                            Come, Blessed Goddess, and hear the prayers of Your children,
                            And make the increase of the fruits and grains your constant care, with the fertile seasons Your handmaidens,
                            Draw near, and bless your supplicants.

Comment

• Freya

Freya Golden Goddess
                              Healer and Helper
                              You Who fear nothing!
                              Brave and beautiful
                              Strong and Independent
                              in Your name I honor
                              You O Goddess of the Golden Tresses!
                              Heil Freya!

Comment

• Aphrodite

Oh Lady of Love
                                Master of Herself!
                                I thank You O Beloved
                                of all Mortal and Immortal
                                Never will You submit!
                                Never shall You be subdued!
                                Hail Aphrodite of the Magickal Girdle
                                Who drives all mad with their lust
                                for You!

Comment

Working...
                                X