Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mendhi

*smiles*

Anyone do this? Or know of websites and resources I can look for?

I'd like to get my feet done when Phoenix and I get married instead of wearing shoes (we're getting married outside)....so I need to find someone in the Denver, CO area who can do mendhi. I'd like to visit them a couple of times and get to know them before I get the actual designs done for the wedding.
    Oh Noz Oppression!
    Because life is so much more exciting when you're being persecuted.

Easy English Grammar Lesson:

Your - the possessive form of you

You're - a contraction of "you are"

Yup! I've done it and it's tricky....

First, the commercial black henna can have chemicals in it with nasty side effects. Double check on that.

Two, the natural stuff is very messy. You gotta be careful with it cause it will stain everything!

Make sure you have it done, say, a day or two beforehand to prevent accidentally staining your gown. You might want to try it out a month or so before the wedding to see how your skin will accept the dye and if you like the way it looks.

Good stencils are hard to find IMO. Freehand takes lots of practice.

Finding a professional is a great idea, especially if you want traditional Indian designs.

Are you going to do the palms of your hands as well? The red art will look great with a wedding dress.

I'll do some web searches for you. Trying checking shops in vacationy areas, I had one done at the beach that was excellent.
    Inanna
    Evening Star
    Dispenser of Justice when the moon is new
    Unseen Light
    You illuminate the darkness and show the way
    May my heart be filled with wisdom and love
    -Hymn to Inanna

Comment

*nods* Thanks Earthcup!

There's a woman who's been at the last couple of RenFaires, I've never gotten it done from her, but I thought I'd check in this summer and see if maybe she's local. *grins* Then if I like her work I can get it done.

*ponders* Haven't thought about getting the hands done as well....the trick is you're pretty immobile for the better part of a day, so getting the backs done wouldn't be bad, but if I got the palms done I'd have to make sure I wasn't working that day.
      Oh Noz Oppression!
      Because life is so much more exciting when you're being persecuted.

Easy English Grammar Lesson:

Your - the possessive form of you

You're - a contraction of "you are"

Comment

I practice mehndi, but mostly on myself! Most friends are pretty wussy!

I have a ton of web sites marked at work, and will post them when I get there later. I'm doing a mehndi program for teens at work (public library). History, uses, folklore, etc. Each teen gets a small tattoo... It's going to be fun!

I know one of the sites I've been looking at has links to mehndi artists all over the place. Another thing to do is go to the local Indian market and ask there. There might be an artist who only works in the Indian community, but might do your wedding if you ask.
        Time flies... whether you're having fun or not

Comment

Here are some links to sites that have advice, links, resources, pictures, etc. Good Luck!

http://web.nwe.ufl.edu/~jane/mehndilinks.html

http://www.hennapage.com/henna/where/internet.html

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~pinto/mehndi/
          Time flies... whether you're having fun or not

Comment

Working...
          X