Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to be making things...clay...things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charmbolt
    replied
    Awesome idea!!
    Last edited by Charmbolt; March 1st, 2011, 03:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Astucity
    replied
    Sneaking in that I love those runes someone made with the clay and glitter. :o

Leave a comment:

• sari0009
    replied
    One more thing. If you don't bake your polymer clay (most polymer clays have to be heat cured in an oven) in a polymer clay dedicated toaster or regular oven, cure (bake) your polymer clay runes in a covered dish.

Else residues are left on the side of the oven and the next time you bake your food, the heat stirs polymer residue particles into the air again and it makes your food taste yucky.

There are also a few brands of air dry polymer clay. The brand Activa Lumina comes to mind. I've never worked with it. I have tried Makins air dry clay but didn't like it. I simply don't know much about the air dried polymer clays.

The cheap air dry earth clays one can buy in the craft store, a lot of them are very weak. And heavy. I tried a few and didn't like them. They didn't hold detail nearly as well and were harder to work into satisfactory results. They're great for kids.

Leave a comment:

• sari0009
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Cricket View Post
    Well, I've recently taken an interest in Runes and being the thrifty, slightly artistically inclined individual that I am, I decided that I'm going to make them.

Caveat 1: I know the traditional material to make them out of is wood, but it just feels...I dunno...wrong. I'm 90% sure I'm going to be making them out of some clay, most likely purchased from my local place of employment: Wally-World :hahugh:. Does anyone know if the oven hardening stuff that is available there is durable enough? Will they chip or shatter when cast?

Caveat 2: I've never done anything with clay before. I'm more of a wood working kind of person. Is there special paint that can be used to highlight the runes? Do I have to coat them in something so they don't crumble? I vaguely remember doing a section on sculpture in Art waaaaay back in Middle School, and we had to coat them in a glaze so they'd harder properly.

Alternately, anyone feeling charitable enough to allow themselves to be bombarded with questions from me, it would be much appreciated

Next, I'd like to make this thread a sort of log of my work as it progresses. I might stick some pictures in here or, more than likely, failures. Would anyone be interested in that?
    The clay at Walmart is most likely Sculpey (original), not Sculpey III or Premo (Sculpey), but just plain old Sculpey, the weakest polymer clay. How weak? Pieces broke off when I was removing my kid's creations from the oven tray after curing them according to directions. That's how weak Sculpey (original, not premo or Sculpey III) can be. Sculpey III is a bit stronger but still is not one of the strongest clay. Depending on the treatment it gets and the design of your piece, Sculpey III could be enough. Some Walmarts do sell packages of 1 oz. blocks in different colors but never seems to sell larger packages of a single Sculpey III color (at least in my area they don't).

So you may have to go to another source for your polymer clay in order to make some decent runes...unless you want to get a package of various Sculpey III colors at Walmart and mix them all into a mud color or something like that (very laborious to mix so many types of color, I wouldn't attempt it).

If you want to make runes out of polymer clay, I suggest you choose a stronger clay. Consult the following page for strength and other characteristics.

Cured polymer clay may be painted with acrylic paints (from cheap craft paints to expensive paints) and sealed, but not with spray on sealants -- the chemicals in the propellants can turn polymer clays permanently tacky days or even months later. Used brush on sealants. Information on sealants, and just about anything your can think about that is related to working with polymer clay, can be found at:

You may also paint cured clay with water soluble oil paint, either the very expensive ones or get a tube of Winsor and Newton Water Soluble Oil Paint. But try not to get it at Hobby Lobby, is my personal opinion. They fund Christian Nation stuff. They actively promote it. Misleading damaging stuff, that is. (You can find links about that in the comments section here.)

Rather than paint the designs on, you may also inlay raw polymer clay into cured. This can be achieved by indenting the rune patterns (I used a screwdriver), curing your polymer clay runes according to manufacturer's directions (use an oven thermometer and watch the temp or your runes may burn -- almost all ovens spike their temps and some do it more than others -- get to know your equipment). Then carefully fill the indentations with raw polymer clay of your choice. Or colored liquid clay of your choice (trickier/messier, generally more expensive if you buy already colored liquid polymer clay). Bake your runes again according to manufacturer's direction. With only polymer clay to color polymer clay, no sealant is necessary.

Or you could inlay beads like I did (not a fun process).

Remember, before shaping it into your runes, polymer clay must be kneaded (conditioned) for anywhere from a minute to several minutes (depending on room temperature, type of clay, age of clay) in a clean environment (as in don't do this right near your washer and dryer where there's more lint, just to give one example). I have found that only washing your hands well with soap and water still leaves oily residue on your hands and may turn the clay grayish. I would gently wash my hands, rub them with hand or body lotion, and then wipe down your hands with a wet wipe, alcohol swap or baby wipe (any brand). I learned that trick from a professional polymer clay artist. Some clay artists also rub down the surface you're going to work your polymer clay on with scrap polymer clay, to pick up any fibers or dust particles. Anyway, this way you're less likely to gray any clay with any residual residues normal handwashing may leave behind. Also, don't wear a fuzzy (especially dark) sweater while working your clay. Or work by a big fuzzy blanket with a fuzzy pet shedding in your area. Try to minimize dust, lint and hair the best you can but if it does get in your work, ever so carefully tease it off with the tippy tip of a sharp craft knife or the tip of a pin, then smooth if you have to.

I work on an old glass door that lays flat on the table but I've also clayed on waxed paper that's been taped down all around. It's up to you.

Keep in mind that polymer clay can destroy some table or other furniture finishes. Raw polymer residue can also mar some plastic or other synthetic surfaces. So protect your work surfaces with what you have, accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• The_Cricket
    started a topic I'm going to be making things...clay...things.

I'm going to be making things...clay...things.

Well, I've recently taken an interest in Runes and being the thrifty, slightly artistically inclined individual that I am, I decided that I'm going to make them.

Caveat 1: I know the traditional material to make them out of is wood, but it just feels...I dunno...wrong. I'm 90% sure I'm going to be making them out of some clay, most likely purchased from my local place of employment: Wally-World :hahugh:. Does anyone know if the oven hardening stuff that is available there is durable enough? Will they chip or shatter when cast?

Caveat 2: I've never done anything with clay before. I'm more of a wood working kind of person. Is there special paint that can be used to highlight the runes? Do I have to coat them in something so they don't crumble? I vaguely remember doing a section on sculpture in Art waaaaay back in Middle School, and we had to coat them in a glaze so they'd harder properly.

Alternately, anyone feeling charitable enough to allow themselves to be bombarded with questions from me, it would be much appreciated

Next, I'd like to make this thread a sort of log of my work as it progresses. I might stick some pictures in here or, more than likely, failures. Would anyone be interested in that?
Working...
X