Question about ceramics slip molds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about ceramics slip molds.

I'm helping to clean out my uncle's yard and garage and one of the things I have to sort through is about a million slip molds. Many are damaged, are deteriorating, others are just dirty. Some are moldy, but that may scrub off. Brenda insists they are all unusable, but as I said, some are just dirty. When I took ceramics in high school and college I did some work with slip molds, but personally preferred slab and coil work. How do I tell what is usable and what is not?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Ultimately, if it will hold the slip (even if you have to use a bit of clay to stop up a hole or crack), it's usable. Now... do you *want* to use it? That's a totally different matter. If it's too worn or deteriorated, you probably won't like how the finished piece turns out. If all else fails, clean it up and use the mold. If it's no good, toss it. Realistically, you always could put it up during the sale, and toss it if no one takes it. Or... call a local school and find out if they'd like a donation.

I've seen some really bad molds before. Dropped a few times, left soaking in water for months (don't ask), or just used regularly for years on end so it became worn.

I prefer throwing myself.
    Sat Bast, meryt Serqet-Aset her Yenipu-Wepwawet her HetHert-Sekhmet
    "While I dance I cannot judge,
    I cannot hate,
    I cannot seperate myself from life.
    I can only be joyful and whole.
    That is why I dance."
    --Hans Bos

Comment

Working...
    X