Homemade Gift Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Gift Ideas

I will be taking a trip early next month to see my folks. They do not live together. And I thought it would be nice to make something homemade for each of them. Something small because I will take the gifts on a plane with me. At the moment, I don't have a clue what to do. Any suggestions?

I can sew by hand, string beads, use ink stampers and that sort of thing. Cookies are always welcome but not really memorable. Plus cookies are
    heavy, esp with the tin.
    Another beautiful day in the state of denial.

Tell us about your parents. =) I could list a million ideas but whether or not your parents would like it, I have no way to know since I know nothing about them.

Sachets and throw pillows are always nice, if that's something they like. I know my dad lives in his recliner, and I try to get him a different form of neck pillow every year. That can easily be homemade, or perhaps one of those microwaveable heating pillows?

You could also do a wall decoration of some sort?
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Comment

Mostly they are armchair peeps. She has cats. He has cats & dogs. When they travel it's usually by car. Both have cluttered homes and very little wall space.

I am thinking maybe a journal that I decorate myself or a book marker for her. For him, I just don't know. Last time I gave him a gift.....he regifted it. Which is great. It was his to do whatever.

Comment

I like those ideas for her. For him, I still recommend some sort of pillow, perhaps a blanket for his armchair?
        Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
        my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Comment

Hmm, if I did a blanket then I could use it on the plane and in the airport. Break it in for him.

Comment

I was about to suggest a lap blanket.
            Each man performs his service to the Holy according to what he is, not according to what he is not; after all, the sacrifice must not surpass the proper measure of the worshiper. - Iamblichus

Comment

I was going to ask how to make it special. Maybe paint on a good luck or good health symbol. Is it hard to paint on fleece?

Comment

Originally posted by DreamaLittle View Post
                I was going to ask how to make it special. Maybe paint on a good luck or good health symbol. Is it hard to paint on fleece?
                I have never tried painting on fleece so cannot offer advice on that - just wanted to say that it makes an excellent backing and filling in one for a quilt if you wanted to go down that route. I really only sew by hand too - bit intimidated by my sewing machine.

Your intent will make it special but you can always incorporate symbols/pictures to represent your wishes for your parent.
                "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win" - Mahatma Gandhi

When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always - Gandhi

My friends worship the ground I walk on!

Comment

I don't think I am up for the quilting thing. No sewing machine and done right I think they are a lot of work. I could make fringe though just by cutting into the edges and maybe knotting them together. Or maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamaLittle View Post
                    I don't think I am up for the quilting thing. No sewing machine and done right I think they are a lot of work. I could make fringe though just by cutting into the edges and maybe knotting them together. Or maybe not.
                    Quilting or rather patchwork can be done easily by hand - my preference is for English paper piecing (top tip: use one of those little square message pads for the papers for squares or cut into triangles - saves loads of time) and the quilt can be tied rather than sewn for the actual quilting - I tend to use buttons as a quick way to tie the quilt together.

The fringe idea sounds great - fleece should not fray but you could make a decorative knotted edging by tying adjacent threads together in a brick type pattern.

I am sure that whatever you do will be lovely
                    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win" - Mahatma Gandhi

When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always - Gandhi

My friends worship the ground I walk on!

Comment

Originally posted by Annorah View Post
                      Quilting or rather patchwork can be done easily by hand - my preference is for English paper piecing (top tip: use one of those little square message pads for the papers for squares or cut into triangles - saves loads of time) and the quilt can be tied rather than sewn for the actual quilting - I tend to use buttons as a quick way to tie the quilt together.

The fringe idea sounds great - fleece should not fray but you could make a decorative knotted edging by tying adjacent threads together in a brick type pattern.

I am sure that whatever you do will be lovely
                      I am trying to picture the brick thread pattern but apparently my brain has fallen asleep.

Comment

Well, I didn't get it done in time for my trip. Maybe next time. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

It's probably just as well that you didn't get it finished in time to take it on a plane. Given the state of the world at the moment, I half-expect TSA to rip apart anything it finds, on the grounds that drugs or bombs might be inside it. (Or just as bad, it could get lost with luggage.)
                          ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

They searched both of my bags but didn't steal anything. Wasn't that thoughtful? :D

Note to Self: Always purchase your drugs and your bombs at your destination.

Comment

Working...
                            X