stones with cleansing properties?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stones with cleansing properties?

I'm in the process of making a ritual broom, and I'd like to decorate it with some stones. Any suggestions?
    ~Sage Witch

"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." -Johnathan Swift

Amethyst is the best for cleansing.

It's even good for placing other stones on to cleanse them. You might also try quartz for purity

I got a broom from the store then decided to decorate it so I wrapped flower arranging tape around the staff and wound a length of fake sunflowers where the bush meets the staff. Didn't think of the gemstone thing tho

Comment

What are you making your broom out of? Traditionally, witches' brooms are made with an ash staff and birch twigs with willow bindings. :D Just a bit of folklore trivia! :D
      Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege to do so also. - Voltaire

Comment

Well...

I'm not sure exactly what the piece I'm using for the staff is, but it's something I found last year that's a bit too long to be a wand and not long enough to be a staff, so we decided it's a broom. It has some interesting raised patterns on it (just the way it rotted I suppose) and they almost look like someone carved them. It's quite beautiful. I'm going walking today to see what I can find for the broom part, and I have some dried flowers I'll probably attach for some color. Thanks for the folklore lesson.:D
        ~Sage Witch

"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." -Johnathan Swift

Comment

Ribbons are also great for decoration and binding wishes...

for your broom! I decorate mine according to the season ~ changing it four times a year and cleanse with Amethyst and a sage smudge stick while I am binding the ribbon :D

Did you find a piece of ash while walking? Hope so!
          New mommy & loving every minute of it!
          Co-moderator ~ Tarot & Divination
          &

Comment

what is sage smudge stick? And what can you use it for and

where can I purchase it?

Reeny!

Comment

i agree that Amethyst is great for cleansing, you may also want to use smoke to smudge it.

Comment

Merry Meet!

Originally posted by Reeny
                what is sage smudge stick? And what can you use it for and

where can I purchase it?
                Reeny!
                Hiya Reeny! :D
                A sage smudge stick is an old native cleansing incense tool ~ Its a buddle of sage (herb) wrapped up with cord. You light one end of it and let it burn to cleanse and deperse of any negative energy. You can probally get them in your local pagan shop or on the net
                New mommy & loving every minute of it!
                Co-moderator ~ Tarot & Divination
                &

Comment

Re: Merry Meet!

Originally posted by Silver Venus

Hiya Reeny! :D
                  A sage smudge stick is an old native cleansing incense tool ~ Its a buddle of sage (herb) wrapped up with cord. You light one end of it and let it burn to cleanse and deperse of any negative energy. You can probally get them in your local pagan shop or on the net
                  i strongly recomend smudging, you can get the smudge sticks from online pagan shops at a resonable price.

Comment

Re: stones with cleansing properties?

Originally posted by Sage Witch
                    I'm in the process of making a ritual broom, and I'd like to decorate it with some stones. Any suggestions?
                    Dunno if it's been mentioned, but hematite is one of the best!!
                    ~ Mairwen

Comment

Re: Re: stones with cleansing properties?

Originally posted by Mairwen

Dunno if it's been mentioned, but hematite is one of the best!!
                      Oh yes i forgot Heamatite.

Comment

Thank You U guys for the information on the smudge stick.

Think I'll try it.

Reeny!

Comment

Originally posted by Reeny
                          Thank You U guys for the information on the smudge stick.

Think I'll try it.

Reeny!
                          "Strongly suggests smudge sticks as he is a Shaman"

Comment

Originally posted by Wildchild
                            What are you making your broom out of? Traditionally, witches' brooms are made with an ash staff and birch twigs with willow bindings. :D Just a bit of folklore trivia! :D
                            Neat trivia, Wildchild! Where did you learn about this?

My very first pagan gathering was on Beltaine several years ago. The people who put in on were so creative! The afternoon before the rit we had the "Pagan Olympics". One of the events was "broom racing" and we had to make our own brooms out of matterial we found around the campsite we were at. No human-made materials could be used: no string, no glue, no duct tape !!

My friend and I came up with the greatest broom! I don't know what types of wood we used, but the staff was almost 6 feet long (it had to seat 2, you know! ) with the brush part adding at least 3 feet to that! I was so impressed that we managed to do a great and solid job with binding the bristles to the staff - I don't think we lost a single twig!

We would have loooooved to take it home with us but it simply did not fit in the car. We mused about how hilarious it would look to fellow travellers if we bound it to the roof and set off on the highway!! :D :D So we left the broom to the Goddess at the edge of the forest. (we have some great pictures of us "flying" the broom off across a big field towards the forest!) I guess She liked it as 6 months later at Samhain the broom was gone.

Wyrdsister
                            ---
                            *tap* *tap* Is this thing on?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrdsister
                              Neat trivia, Wildchild! Where did you learn about this?

My very first pagan gathering was on Beltaine several years ago. The people who put in on were so creative! The afternoon before the rit we had the "Pagan Olympics". One of the events was "broom racing" and we had to make our own brooms out of matterial we found around the campsite we were at. No human-made materials could be used: no string, no glue, no duct tape !!

My friend and I came up with the greatest broom! I don't know what types of wood we used, but the staff was almost 6 feet long (it had to seat 2, you know! ) with the brush part adding at least 3 feet to that! I was so impressed that we managed to do a great and solid job with binding the bristles to the staff - I don't think we lost a single twig!

We would have loooooved to take it home with us but it simply did not fit in the car. We mused about how hilarious it would look to fellow travellers if we bound it to the roof and set off on the highway!! :D :D So we left the broom to the Goddess at the edge of the forest. (we have some great pictures of us "flying" the broom off across a big field towards the forest!) I guess She liked it as 6 months later at Samhain the broom was gone.

Wyrdsister
                              Cool sounds great.

Comment

Working...
                              X