Where would I find...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where would I find...

Last edited by Scarlet; May 30th, 2006, 05:20 PM.

Do you mean a dressmaker's dummy or a dress-form?

You can buy them in most large fabric stores. They cost a couple of hundred dollars. Joann's Fabrics has them: http://www.joanns.com/catalog.jhtml;...4&PRODID=57119

Comment

my mom wants one of those... right now she uses an antique dressmakers dummy from the 1930's-ish, its alright for draping clothes over, but it does nothing for adjusting sizing and stuff.

Comment

I have one of those that Lunacie linked. I do like it, but I have a good share of gripes about it. My measurements fall between the Small and the Medium sized dress forms. I got the Small one because the curves are a little more proportional to my shape. But I am slightly longer in the waist and shorter in the stride than the dress form, and those measurements can't be adjusted. I also had to add a padding of poly batting in the bust to get it a little more accurate. The dials are stiff to work, and use your tape measure to make sure the adjustments are correct.

But, I do like having the dress form. It's one of my prize possessions. It makes things like hemming SO much easier, plus it's easier to do the adjustments to the garments.

I got mine as a christmas gift from my father, and Jo-Ann's was running a sale then so it only cost $99 for the exact same one in the link. Definitely watch for those sales.

Another link to check is Sew True, and they have a selection of professional dress forms there, too. I'm interested in the "Uniquely You" line, myself. But that will wait until I have need of a new dress form. (Hopefully not because I grow out of this one!!! *LOL*)
        "Trusting in the natural unfolding of things, she can go where she pleases and do what needs to be done. The opinions and actions of others will have no effect on her." -Lieh Tzu

Comment

there are adjustable dress forms, they are really nice, but are also really expensive. you can adjust just about any measurement, that way it gives you a unique fit.

Comment

Originally posted by halfwaynowhere
            there are adjustable dress forms, they are really nice, but are also really expensive. you can adjust just about any measurement, that way it gives you a unique fit.
            Right, the one linked (the one I have) is adjustable, but it only has limited adjustments so it's not totally accurate. The instructions that came with it even said that you should use poly batting to further tailor the shape of the dress form to fit the individual. But, it does the job well for my needs.
            "Trusting in the natural unfolding of things, she can go where she pleases and do what needs to be done. The opinions and actions of others will have no effect on her." -Lieh Tzu

Comment

Hunt out all of the second hand stores in your area. And watch for yard sales and such. My mother had one when I was younger (about 15 years or so) that adjusted to just about anything that she got for about $20.
              "The facts do not change, but their order is given another dimension through another myth. They are experienced differently; they gain another tale."-James Hillman

Justice is blind. A witch is not.

Comment

Working...
              X