Charging for royalty-free art?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging for royalty-free art?

I'm just starting to get into graphic and web design and have been searching the internet for royalty-free art. There are tonnes of sites but many charge for use of the images. I'm confused. If it's royalty-free, how are they charging for it?

ps: I realize this may be a "stupid question" but maybe someone can help out on the ins and outs of using other's graphics.
    Last edited by piglet; January 18th, 2005, 11:42 AM.
    "Dont struggle like that or I will only love you more."
    -The Cure, "Lullaby"

Originally posted by piglet
    I'm just starting to get into graphic and web design and have been searching the internet for royalty-free art. There are tonnes of sites but many charge for use of the images. I'm confused. If it's royalty-free, how are they charging for it?

ps: I realize this may be a "stupid question" but maybe someone can help out on the ins and outs of using other's graphics.

Royalties are residuals that the artist would get for repeated use of the image. That comes with the purchase of the art in full rights.

Comment

thanks, I knew I was probably a little off on that question

Where can I find free artwork that I can use in graphic design?
      -The Cure, "Lullaby"

Comment

thanks, I knew I was probably a little off on that question

Where can I find free artwork that I can use in graphic design?

Um, well, you CAN just google search for images and use them that way, you still run the risk of trademark or image usage infringement. That and images on the net get no better than 72 dpi, are RBG, and usually are web compressed, therefore increasing the artifacting, pixelated look, that can happen if used in a standard CMYK layout.

Comment

Thank you for your answer. You know, thinking about it, I just need to get my hands on a scanner so I can put my own (non-computer) art up on my website.
          -The Cure, "Lullaby"

Comment

Thank you for your answer. You know, thinking about it, I just need to get my hands on a scanner so I can put my own (non-computer) art up on my website.

Honestly it's the way to do it, I ALWAYS carry a camera! :D
            I get nice textures to use in photoshop, my own library of images, the possibilities are endless. But yeah, a scanner is helpful too.

Comment

Working...
            X