A New Avatar Using Gimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Avatar Using Gimp

I ahve been struggling with digi-art for some time now. I've spent this morning knocking out a new avatar. It is a combination of the Ankh symbol with the Infinity symbol.

I created a tiger pattern to fill the ankh and used a fire pattern for the infinity.The background is just a galaxy photo I pulled from Google.

It took me about 2 hours in all but I'm still learning the Gimp commands!

Good job!

Nothing in the world is friendlier than a wet dog:hahugh:

Sometimes I dream that a big, giant squirrel is carrying me away. Does that make me a nut?

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
    Disciple of Jodarius~~Keep of the Names
    AKA: VroomBroom

Proud mom of a LCPL, US Marine!
    VMAQ1
    Semper Fi!

Comment

Looks good!
      Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
      Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Comment

I'm not sure if the Ankh looks like it's wearing a bowtie?!

Comment

Originally posted by TygerTyger View Post
          lol I thought it looked quite cool myself. I was also relieved to discover the word "gimp" in your title referred to: GNU Image Manipulation Program and not something else :bigredgri

Comment

When I first looked at it, I thought it was very snazy looking. Then I saw this and thought it does!

I still think it is cool looking though.

So tie me to a post and block my ears
            I can see widows and orphans through my tears
            I know my call despite my faults
            And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
            And I won't let you choke
            On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
            And I will change my ways
            I'll know my name as it's called again
            ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight

Comment

Oh you tried GIMP! Nice! Hmmm, I think it's great for being a beginner at the program.

I can offer some advice on how to work with it in the future, however, I think you can really benefit from Adobe PS...whatever number it is now (PM me about that). Or a tablet might be useful? I don't know if you have one, if you do then I can offer some other advice on making the infinity less...er...bowtie-ish.
              The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
              ~Marcus Aurelius

Foreman: I think your argument is specious.
              House: I think your tie is ugly.

[deviantART]
              [Friend said this video reminded her of me] :weirdsmil

Comment

Hey, thanks for all the positive comments everyone!

GIMP is my first use of a serious digital art package and I'm getting to quite like it now that I've figured out the more interesting controls and commands. There's still a lot to learn, however, and before I have a go at something a bit more serious I might wait a little while.

That said, I'll have some free time on my hands soon after my surgery so I might invest in Photo Shop yet!!!

Comment

That said, I'll have some free time on my hands soon after my surgery so I might invest in Photo Shop yet!!!
                  I was wondering when your surgery was coming up. Good luck with it.

With respect to photo shop, I got a free copy of Adobe elements when I bought a printer, I think, and you can find it pretty cheaply anyway, I would imagine. I don't know what level you want but Adobe elements has got most of the stuff photo shop has (or it used to a few years ago, anyway) unless you're planning on going in to professional work etc

Anyone else want to comment on elements? Feel free to correct me if that was wrong.

Comment

Tyger, I think your new avie is very cool!! You did a great job!!
                    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

"If a book has my name on it, I wrote it. Every word of it." ~Nora Roberts.

Comment

..Ankh Ankh...Tyger Tyger is coming through on the cosmic highway..

Nice work...done did good...

Comment

The ankh does not look like it's wearing a bowtie. haha it's beautiful and that galaxy in the background really adds to it! Keep working on that shading though. The flat lines on the back part and the patterned glowing texture on the eternity symbol need to blend better rather than looking like two seperate pieces. Make the eternity symbol your light source and work from there. Do you have an ankh you can use as a reference? Set up some light and use it to help place your shadows! I love it and I'm tough on you, but it's only because I know you've got it in ya t' be a pretty damn good artist.
                        I'm available for Tarot Readings

An artist is only an artist on condition that he neglects no aspect of his dual nature. This dualism is the power of being oneself and someone else at one and the same time. - Charles Baudelaire

Comment

Cheers Amilee.

Everything you said was correct and I'll be going back to work on the image a bit more. I surprised myself with this one as it started out as just an experiment to try and learn what GIMP could do, and myself as well for that matter.

I seem to have broken through my first barrier with working in a new medium.

Comment

Well keep at it! I can see the improvement already!
                            I'm available for Tarot Readings

An artist is only an artist on condition that he neglects no aspect of his dual nature. This dualism is the power of being oneself and someone else at one and the same time. - Charles Baudelaire

Comment

Working...
                            X