Digital painting in PSP8??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital painting in PSP8??

I've been trying to do some digital painting using PSP8 (just can't afford Photoshop right now). Honestly, I used to be pretty good with acrylics on canvas, but I just can't seem to get the hang of doing things digitally. Does anyone know of any good, detailed tutorials? The ones I usually find are just the sort of thing that show a few different levels in the progression of a digital painting, but never really get in-depth about how to do it. (And they're almost always done in Photoshop, too.)

Do any of you paint in PSP? Anyone care to share their work, and some of the techniques they use?

i *so* wish i could get into painting .. but so far i haven't found any tutorials that have helped me with it at all
    there's a forum though that you *might* be able to find some tips: wetcanvas.com
    if you like ... hmm .. would you like to do "projects" with me? or practice excercises?

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite Muse
      if you like ... hmm .. would you like to do "projects" with me? or practice excercises?
      Heck yeah! :D :boing:

Just let me know what you want to work on!

I've been kinda ambitious for the past couple hours. I'm working on a portrait of my daughter, Ms. Pout Puss. This is what I have so far. Haven't even begun to work on ears, neck, the bandana she's wearing, etc. Plus I have a million finishing touches I'll have to put on what I've already got before I consider it finished. The hair is VERY rough. But anyhow, I would love any constructive criticism anyone has to offer.

Oh, and yes...she IS supposed to look slightly miffed. She's 7. She always looks like that.

Comment

I don't know about critisism but I am offering some praise! There is definately character/ personality shining through that pic! And (assuming that your avatar is you) I can see Mom in that cute little face too!

Very nice work!

PS: my almost 15 year old has that same miffed expression alot these days! :bigblue:
        Last edited by Ravens_Tears; October 19th, 2004, 12:29 AM.

Life is a terminal sexually transmitted condition. There is no known cure & we are unable to determine how long you will have to live.
        LDMS

Comment

wow! Thats awesome so far! Drawing with PSP isn't easy, but that looks amazing. I wish i could do something like that... oh well, its incentive to practice!

Comment

Wow, thanks!

This is the first time I've attempted an actual painting in PSP. I've done pixel dolls, but never anything of this scale. It's intimidating! So I can't tell you how much I appreciate the words of encouragement.

Comment

Did a bit more work tonight. I have everything else roughed in, now. It's starting to take shape. My hubby instantly recognized the painting as Shay, so, well...that's a bonus. :D

Comment

uff da thats amazing
                how shall we do this together? set ourselves little excercises and give a deadline on when to be done? i have been looking for a painting partner for a long time because i lack incentive to finish stuff

Comment

Thank you so much for the compliment!

What sorts of paintings would you like to try, Muse?

I'm into painting portraits (obviously), and animals (I want to do a wolf painting!). I'll try just about anything, though. I'm terrible at drawing the human form--I can never seem to get the proportions right--but willing to learn.

I guess we could think of some projects to work on that suits both our tastes and just...uh...get started?

Comment

Okay, I found a tutorial we could try together, Muse. It's just a simple painting of a pumpkin. Probably best to start with something more basic than to do what I did, which is just jump in and do something difficult right from the get-go.

Pumpkin Tutorial

Comment

[portraits sound like a good place to start. do you want to go with a photo reference? i have had this one idea for a few months now but haven't done anything with it

Comment

Originally posted by AuroraSilvermist
                        Okay, I found a tutorial we could try together, Muse. It's just a simple painting of a pumpkin. Probably best to start with something more basic than to do what I did, which is just jump in and do something difficult right from the get-go.

Pumpkin Tutorial
                        cool website ... are we going for realism or are we trying to replicate the example?

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite Muse
                          cool website ... are we going for realism or are we trying to replicate the example?
                          I say...whatever works for you. :D I'd probably go more for realism and just use the website as a reference for making the template.

Or we can do portraits, too. I definitely need some practice. But I'm tempted to nitpick them to death, so I thought maybe it would be fun to start with something small and work up. But hey, I'm game either way.

Comment

i just spent all the time since my last post working on this pumpkin .. and i only have half of it blocked in with colour
                            thjis is so sad ... lolol
                            but i did have another idea how i could do my portrait, painstakingly slow, but possibly .. hmm .. needs more htinking
                            this is the closest i have done to a digital portrait and it took about three weeks using nothing but the smudge tool and splotches of white; the shadows on it are pretty aweful but i was tired of it by then and just gave right up

Comment

IM, what's wrong with it? Looks great to me! :D

Comment

Working...
                              X