This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banner Tutorial

Ok..I've had several people ask me how I make banners. WynnJera taught a wonderful class on it, but I understand that theres a tremendous amount of information to sort thru for the basics. So I'm going to post some step by step instructions on how to make different banners.
    Please don't post in this thread unless you have a specific question on a technique, or you want to show me something you're working on that you're having a problem with. Other people will benefit from your questions if I am unclear.
    Requests for a banner go in different threads. I want to keep this thread as small as possible for others to be able to gleam information from more easily. I hope those of you interested find it useful
    Give me time to post up each stage of the banner process

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
    I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
    so I love you because I know no other way
    than this:
    so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
    so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

Pablo Neruda

Disclaimer: If you're looking for a debate, please look elsewhere. I'm not judging anyone personally, I'm simply stating my opinion. Some people seem to enjoy conflict...I don't. Please save your arguements for someone who does.

Ok....first banner. This is the one I did for Dixiewitch and her little girl. Our banners are typically 300 x 105. So the first thing I needed to do was to crop the original picture using the crop tool in photoshop. I cropped all the way across from one side to the other, but cut off the top just above her head, and the bottom just below her shoulders. Next, I resized the image to the height of 105 pixels . Make sure that when you are changing an image size, you keep the "Constrain Properties" box selected, otherwise, your image will be skewed. Then I went under file and selected New and created a new box that was 300 x 105, and dragged the pic into the box. Make sure that you check RGB Color, and I pick transparent for the background.
    Then I decided that there wasn't enough background to fill up the entire banner, so I decided to erase the background from around the little girl. Now some use the lasso technique or use the pen to cut around her, but I like erasing. I also painted on some little elf ears just for fun
    Then I selected a background to use, changed the image size of the background using the same method and dragged it into the box behind the little girl.
    I created a new layer,Then I used a paintbrush that I found on Adobe.com and stamped in the outline of her wings.
    To give her wings more substance, I created another layer, set my opacity low, at about 20%, and painted inside the wings.
    Lastly, I put Evil Elf on it, added shadow and beveled the type.
    Then I put a frame around it...and voila.
    Now this is just a rough outline, but I hope it helps
    Last edited by Faeawyn; July 20th, 2005, 09:55 AM.

than this:

Pablo Neruda

Disclaimer: If you're looking for a debate, please look elsewhere. I'm not judging anyone personally, I'm simply stating my opinion. Some people seem to enjoy conflict...I don't. Please save your arguements for someone who does.

Comment

ok..for some reason, these are in reverse order :D...just look at them from right to left
      Last edited by Faeawyn; July 8th, 2005, 06:07 PM.

than this:

Pablo Neruda

Comment

Ok...next one. This is one for Serenity.
        First I find an image on Google....clip it and change the size to 105 pixels high, as described above. Then I create a new file 300 x 105, and drag the pic into the new blank banner.
        Next, I use my eyedropper tool to select the colors of the sky in the image, and manually paint the sky onto my blank banner using the same shades of pink and blue. Now I can still see a line between the pic and my painted sky, so I set my eraser to about 50% opacity, and slowly erase the line between the pic and my sky until it fades away and it all looks like it blends.
        Next, using my stamp tool, I copy the flowers running across the top of the image, and stamp them all the way across the banner. Then I do the same for the lake at the bottom....stamping all the way across the bottom of the banner. You can blend and soften using the stamp tool and your eraser set at a low opacity.
        Lastly, I type the text and add shadow and such....then a border around it...and it's done

than this:

Pablo Neruda

Comment

I forgot to mention....if your picture is too dark, or too light, or there's not enough contrast....you can go into Image, then Image Adjustments, and change the brightness/contrast or the hue/saturation. Brightness contrast will make your image sharper if it looks dull. Hue/saturation will adjust the color brightness, or even the color of an image.
          For example, with Dixie's little girl, she was too bright for the dark forest I was putting her in....so I had to lower the brightness of her picture so that she fit in better. I also raised the contrast at the same time so that it didn't become too dull.
          Last edited by Faeawyn; July 8th, 2005, 04:42 PM.

than this:

Pablo Neruda

Comment

Is there anything that someone would like to know how to do? I don't know if I'll know how, but I might :D

than this:

Pablo Neruda

Comment

Working...
            X