Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cloth dolls/rag dolls

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • cloth dolls/rag dolls

    Does any one here make cloth dolls or rag dolls?
    I have been playing around learning and here are some pics of the dolls that I have done. I learned from several different sites and a doll that I have at home which I took apart to learn how she was made (my grandmother made her by hand). I am looking for a technique for making a larger head that sits on its neck without falling back after the hair is put on.. so far I am having problems.. my necks are not strong enough even with wire in them. Any suggestions ?

    Thanks Kal
    Last edited by Kalioppee; March 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM.



  • #2
    You know, with all my rag dolls, I always had the floppy-head problem. Then again, I figured it was just characteristic of a rag doll.

    I have this one rag doll that I made that I love to bitties, I sleep with him. *laughs* He's so thoroughly loved that, although he was very creatively made (for example, he has fine leather strips for hair that I hand-stitched into his scalp), I would be shy to post pictures of him. He's just old and ratty now. But I love him to bitties.

    My rag dolls are like my babies... so much energy goes into making them, and although they may not all be "award-winners" with regards to perfection, and although I may never follow a pattern... I love them anyway.

    The one time I followed a doll pattern... I sewed the legs on backwards -_-; Fail.
    "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
    We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

    Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Kalioppee View Post
      That's officially the scariest thing I've ever seen

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kalioppee View Post
        Does any one here make cloth dolls or rag dolls?
        I have been playing around learning and here are some pics of the dolls that I have done. I learned from several different sites and a doll that I have at home which I took apart to learn how she was made (my grandmother made her by hand). I am looking for a technique for making a larger head that sits on its neck without falling back after the hair is put on.. so far I am having problems.. my necks are not strong enough even with wire in them. Any suggestions ?

        Thanks Kal


        Number 3 is adorable!! I love her. I don't know if this will work for you but my neighbor makes these dolls from nylons and doll stuffing. She then sews the features on to them. She does the heads and hands, the rest are doll bodies I guess. Anyhoo, she uses cut to size paper towel cardboard rolls that go up into the head.
        Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Stormbeard View Post
          That's officially the scariest thing I've ever seen
          LOL, Oh thanks Stormbeard! She is just a practice doll, her "outer skin" is made from thin plum colored tee shirt material, its the only tee shirt material I had on hand when I decided to try it by a suggestion for how the material stretches, she actually taught me alot. Now I use her for long distance Reiki treatments.

          Originally posted by Sequoia View Post
          You know, with all my rag dolls, I always had the floppy-head problem. Then again, I figured it was just characteristic of a rag doll.

          I have this one rag doll that I made that I love to bitties, I sleep with him. *laughs* He's so thoroughly loved that, although he was very creatively made (for example, he has fine leather strips for hair that I hand-stitched into his scalp), I would be shy to post pictures of him. He's just old and ratty now. But I love him to bitties.

          My rag dolls are like my babies... so much energy goes into making them, and although they may not all be "award-winners" with regards to perfection, and although I may never follow a pattern... I love them anyway.

          The one time I followed a doll pattern... I sewed the legs on backwards -_-; Fail.
          I know what you mean about loving them to bitts! That is what honestly got me into this in the first place, making dolls for the grandkids! As for sewing legs on backwards.. I have done my share of mistakes like that! I have lots of patterns but none that I really like and am changing them to my own liking but really like the simple rag doll style.

          Originally posted by Glowy View Post
          Number 3 is adorable!! I love her. I don't know if this will work for you but my neighbor makes these dolls from nylons and doll stuffing. She then sews the features on to them. She does the heads and hands, the rest are doll bodies I guess. Anyhoo, she uses cut to size paper towel cardboard rolls that go up into the head.

          Thanks Glowy! Number 3 was a doll suggested by my daughter (she's 23) I think I may try that cardboard suggestion if I can do it small enough. Right now I use either wire or a toothpick with stiff cotton batting glued to the wire or stick which makes it non bendable but then the whole head and neck tilt backwards with the hair on them. Thanks for the suggestion will let you know how things work out.
          Last edited by Kalioppee; March 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM.


          Comment


          • #6
            stiff necks

            Hi Kal
            If you still need instructions for the wobbly neck problem, I may be able to help. I use 3 "popsickle" craft sticks, wrapped in light weight batting or fleece and tied with sewing thread all around. Just keep wrapping the thread until you're sure it is stiff. Then I insert this post into the top of the doll neck, sew 10 or 15 stitches in and through the padding of the post. Stuff neck firmly and you should be good to go. The head is slit in a T shape about 1 in long and 1 in wide. This is where you will insert the finished neck. Sew opening closed and firmly attatch the head. All will be hidden under the hair, so no worries about the size of the stitches.
            Sure hope this helps. One of my doll making friends used flattened out toilet paper rolls. She flattens them then folds them in thirds and proceeds withthe wrapping step (just like the sticks)

            I know, clear as mud !! Right ??
            You can also check into Bellaonline.com for their dollmaking section or Dollmakersjourney.
            My e-mail is [email protected] if i can help you more.
            Blessings, Always, Audrey

            Comment

            Working...
            X