Bath salts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bath salts

I honestly forget where I got this rather generic formula from, but I want to say from a book by Scott Cunningham, which is as follows:

1 part table salt
    2 parts baking soda
    3 parts epsom salt

However, if you don't use it up right away it hardens to the point that you need an ice pick to break the stuff apart, and I seal them in air tight jars.

Has anyone else had better success with bath salts and them not hardening to the point where you are forced to stab them with an ice pick screaming "DAMN YOU!" ?

I couldn't decide where to put this, and the Green Room seemed a good choice, but rarely if ever do I even use herbs in the bath salts, so there you have it.
    Last edited by Aidron; November 1st, 2003, 07:51 PM.

I like Epsom salts and coarse sea salt. I use equal parts, but of course it's easily adjustable to fit what you like. (and yes, that recipe is from Cunningham)
    "I met a girl who sang the blues
    and I asked her for some happy news
    She just smiled and turned away.."

Comment

I've tried the coarse sea salt as well, but since regular salt is often more readily available I tend to just stick with it.

I've tried eliminating the salt all together, believing that was what was causing it to basically harden since salt will do that over time due to moisturize, but no luck.

Comment

Hmm.. have you tried those clay do-hickey things that they put in brown sugar to keep it from turning to brick? (That was my mother's suggestion lol)

Comment

Actually no, and I haven't the foggiest idea what you are speaking of, so I will have to confer with my book of shadows on mundane things, my mother.

I thought about rice, as people often put that in salt to keep it from becoming solidified, but who wants to take a rice bath? Not me.

Comment

The little clay do-hickeys... *thinks* I know they have a technical name lol. They sell them in cooking/kitchen stores in the baking aisle.

Comment

Oh I've got one of those... they work great for brown sugar because they keep it moist, but I think the idea of bath salts is to keep them dry - it's the moisture that makes them clump to begin with

I've never had any luck with it either - I think that's why you can buy little cubes of bath salts - it's just easier that way!
              Commercial bath salts usually contain dendritic salts to stop clumping, but I've heard you can mix a little glycerin into the salts as well to help.
              ¤ Non omnia possumus omnes ¤

Comment

Well I prefer to make my own, so I rarely buy commercial ones unless it is just to splurge in relaxation and for entirely nonmagical reasons.

However, glycerin, that is definitely interesting.

Comment

I use dendritic salt in my baths salts. So far I haven't had any problems, but they are sealed tight until the customer opens the jar. After they leave my house, I don't know if they clump or not- no one has complained though.

My Blog: The Musings of Faery-Wings

Comment

Where do you acquire your dendritic salt?

Mine, no matter if I don't open them after putting them in a air tight jar or not, always clump up sooner or later, but I've bought others that do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven WindSong
                      I've tried the coarse sea salt as well, but since regular salt is often more readily available I tend to just stick with it.

I've tried eliminating the salt all together, believing that was what was causing it to basically harden since salt will do that over time due to moisturize, but no luck.
                      I wish that I could be of more help. I know that I personally would not use anything with sea salt in it because I once put some in my bath and it irritated "delicate" parts....

I would love to see someone develop a bath "salt" with oatmeal or oat straw, which is very moisturing. I currently use the colloidal oatmeal baths that they sell in drugstores but it makes an awful mess in the tub.
                      My adopted smilies:
                      Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

Oy! My Goddess! Creations
                      COS9 is the Goddess of Banners!
                      The Goddess Cafe

Well, I've got the message - stay among the living - Stevie Nicks

Comment

Originally posted by Freyja
                        I wish that I could be of more help. I know that I personally would not use anything with sea salt in it because I once put some in my bath and it irritated "delicate" parts....

I would love to see someone develop a bath "salt" with oatmeal or oat straw, which is very moisturing. I currently use the colloidal oatmeal baths that they sell in drugstores but it makes an awful mess in the tub.
                        Oatmeal, hmm? Shouldn't be hard. Gather up some dried oatmeal, grind it down into a powdered form using a mortar and pestle and add it to the generic recipe I posted previously.

Oat straw I am not entirely familiar with, but if it's a plant you can grind it down!

The baking soda actuallly moisturizes me quite a lot, though I'm sure covering myself in moisturizer helps too.

Comment

question

ok i like the idea of bath salts but when making it says to use 1 part of something. what does 1 part mean? or where can i find the info about the measuring lol. i know its probly a stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowdancer
                            ok i like the idea of bath salts but when making it says to use 1 part of something. what does 1 part mean? or where can i find the info about the measuring lol. i know its probly a stupid question.

A couple years back I asked the same thing, what with knowing absolutely nothing about cooking and the like.

It's quite basic, however. Let's say you want to use 2 parts of Epsom salt. Well, the recipe calls for 3 parts Epsom Salt, 2 parts Baking Soda, and 1 part table salt, as you well know, so it would wind up like this:

2 cups Epsom Salt
                            1 cup Baking Soda
                            1/2 cup Table Salt

You could also look at it as if you wish to end up with 3 1/2 cups (what the above totals to) and then decipher how much you need of each.

Using that method let's say you want 6 cups of a bath salt. This translates to:

3 cups of Epsom Salt
                            2 cups of Baking Soda
                            1 cup of Table Salt

Comment

Hi Raven- I get my dendritic salt at http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/

HTH

My Blog: The Musings of Faery-Wings

Comment

Working...
                              X