Instructions for Knitted Teddy Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instructions for Knitted Teddy Bear

A great way to use up the leftover bits & pieces of yarn. The size of the bear will depends on the size of needles and yarn you use.

You will need yarn for the paw/head colour, pants colour, sweater colour, and stuffing.

Cast on 10 stitches and knit 10 rows. Change to pants colour & knit 30 rows. Leave on a spare needle.
    Make second leg.

Knit across the 10 stitches of the first leg and the 10 stitches of the second leg. Knit 16 rows.

Change to sweater colour and knit 24 rows.

Change to paw colour & knit 62 rows.

Change to sweater colour and knit 24 rows.

Change to pants colour and knit 16 rows.

On the first 10 stitches, knit 30 rows. Change to paw colour & knit 10 rows. Cast off.

Do the same for second leg.

Arms:
    Using paws colour, cast on 12 stitches, knit 10 rows. Change to sweater colour & knit 20 rows. Cast off. Make second arm.

Scarf: cast on 75 stitches and knit 7 rows.

Assembly:
    Fold the body piece in half with the right sides in. Stitch along the outside, leaving a 1-1/2 inch opening on both sides of the body where the arms will go. Turn the body inside out & stuff. Fold the arm pieces in half and stitch, leave the opening where the arms will join to the body. Turn right side out & stuff. Stitch arms to body.

Take a piece of the body colour yarn and do a running stitch around the neck. Pull to cinch in and tie off. Bury the knot inside the body. Tie scarf around the neck. Embroider on the eyes, nose & mouth.

Pinch the corners where the ears would be. In the center, make a single stitch and tie off. Bury the knot inside the head. Do the same for the other ear.

And now you have a bear! :D
    Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege to do so also. - Voltaire

Thanks!!!!

Thank You, CloakofStars9 and WynnJera for the beautiful banners!

Get off your butt....Rescue a mutt!!
    It's time to scat...Save a cat!!
    Visit Your Local Pound or Rescue!

Comment

do you have a scanner? so you could put a few, as you go, photos with it? just curious.:D
      ~Sweet Merciful Crap!~
      Freyja is my Valentine, sweeter than the sweetest wine.
      my adopted smilies

It is not that which is on the outside, but that witch is on the inside!
      T.L.F. Trey Liberation Front!
      flar7 "The Wrong One"

Comment

I don't have a scanner but I would love to see what others come up with. I met an older woman on the bus a few years ago. She was knitting a bear. She told me the rough instructions but had no exact numbers. (All you knitters out there will understand this. :D ) I worked out the actual numbers of rows & stuff and made lots of these bears. The neat thing is that because you use different yarn each time, each bear is so unique.

BTW, the woman told me she was knitting these bears for charity groups to give out. I've been doing the same with my extra bears. In thanks to this woman for sharing this with me, please don't use this pattern for profit.
        Last edited by Wildchild; June 24th, 2002, 02:18 PM.
        Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege to do so also. - Voltaire

Comment

Working...
        X