No announcement yet.

Please help my cat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

"If a book has my name on it, I wrote it. Every word of it." ~Nora Roberts.

Comment

There Is No Such Thing As Too Many Cats
      My Cats Are The Boss Of Me

Comment

Suggestions? Please HURRY

Well, we didn't put Miss E. down on Friday, because when hubby and I visited on Thursday I did some cranial sacral and some reiki and she started acting rather energetic for an older cat. She stopped drooling and was alert. She stopped falling down. I discovered that she catches drips of water in the tub faucet in her mouth, not with her tongue, and she drinks the milk with her mouth and not her tongue, so I don't think she knows how to use it any more. That would explain why she no longer washes herself. It was easier for her to drink her milk when I raised the bowl to her so she drank more than usual. My parents have devised a raised bowl system for the milk bowl and the food bowl. She tried to eat her favorite McDonald's cheeseburger, but with missing teeth, couldn't pick it up off the floor. She tried really hard and gave up. She goes up to her food and wants to eat but doesn't. She drinks maybe a 1/4 cup of cow's milk, but that is really not enough to sustain her. There are not enough nutrients in there, and "cat milk" you get at the pet store is glorified cow's milk. My Father was able to give her a shower today to get the medicine off with no objection from her which was really weird.

She is not even piddling when given food from the syringe now and hasn't used the litter pan in quite a while. She will probably starve to death if he doesn't give her food in a syringe every 1/2 hour (which he can't do, he works nights..and my Mom can't do it) so any suggestions? Do you think a baby bottle would work when she doesn't use her tongue? What else can they do? They don't want to watch her starve to death, and she seems to be doing better and WANTS to eat!

Friend me!
        http://www.myspace.com/Clair_de_la_Lune
        The Octopus' Garden:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZqXs...ext=1&index=44
        Follow me! http://www.twitter.com/ClairLune_of_MW

by Glowy and Cloaked Raven!
        by abrecan, nannymouse, Mystic Christian, Cassie, and Devi!

Comment

You DIDN'T put her down? After all of the suffering you've chronicled here? I'm shocked. No, really. Shocked.

I suppose it is your personal choice as to whether you let her live a few more tortured days, but I'm sorry... I have no advice on how to string along a dying cat any more than what you are already doing.

One prays you got pain medication or some other kind of quality-of-life supplies from your veterinarian when you were there.

Oh. And this:

There are not enough nutrients in there, and "cat milk" you get at the pet store is glorified cow's milk.
          Um, no. It's cow's milk with special enzymes in it so cats can digest it. Feeding your cat straight cow's milk will make them sicker the more you do it. They can't break it down properly.

You say she "wants" to be better... of course she does. Nobody likes being sick. But do you REALLY want to let her die slowly of starvation? I mean... come on. At this point, you're not keeping the cat alive for the cat. You're keeping her alive for YOU. Be honest with yourself.
          "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
          We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

Comment

Sending all my love and energy to your little fur baby. I hope she gets better soon.

Comment

I'm so very sorry but I have to agree with Sequoia on this. This poor baby is suffering and starving, I pray for the cat's sake you find the courage to stop it by letting her go. I had to do that and YES it was very hard, but better it be hard on me, than my furbaby suffer anymore.
              smckim has left the building.

Comment

Well, I am going on my parents' judgment also, and they tell me it's time...but then she does what she did today, and eats wet cat food from the raised cat bowl, then the say it's not or they don't think it's quite time yet.

She absolutely detests the cat milk. It's a brownish color, and she walks away when she gets a sniff from it and won't drink it at any temp. She will only drink the cow's milk if it's fresh from the fridge. We did get an idea to add acidophilus to it, and we will have to see if she detects it, because if you add ANY thing to the cow's milk, she won't drink it.

If there is ANY sign of her being in pain, (and the vet told us what to look for) there will be NO HESITATION to bring her in to be put down.

She still purrs and is starting to act more "normal" now, though I know the tumor is inoperable. Maybe the swelling is going down? I don't know. She just needs supplements like our other cat did who is now very healthy once more who is the same age. I know she won't be as healthy as he is, running around playing and packing on weight again, but she is close to dying and I hope the gods take her so we don't have to make the decision. So far she seems happy and at peace. If she weren't I would have no problem taking her in. I think where the tumor is on the brain is causing her to not be alarmed and just enjoy being with us.

I have carefully considered and wrestled with it all and I have found that I am not being selfish. When it's time, I will know. If she was not improving she would have been put down last week. She will look like "it's time...she might die in her sleep tonight" or "it's time to take her in, let's set the appointment" and then she bounces back and really does well for the next few days. It's been an emotional rollercoaster for all of us.

Last time I was with Miss E. I asked her and I prayed that she would send clear signs that it was time to have her join her ancestors (put her to sleep), or she would get better, or show us what we needed to do to make things easier for her in the meantime. I told her it was ok to go and that I had released her because I love her that much. Right afterwards, she showed me that she could drink water drips from the faucet in the bathroom, and that she could drink milk if I raised the bowl up to her (thus the idea for the raised milk and wet food bowls idea came about). The fact she wanted to eat but couldn't pick food up off the floor only reaffirmed this and construction came about of the holder of the bowls after calling around and finding the pet stores only carried them for dogs in the area.
                Last edited by Clair de la Lune; February 7th, 2010, 04:15 AM. Reason: more info
                sigpic
                Proud to have Co-Hosted MW's 1st BABY SHOWER!!

Friend me!
                The Octopus' Garden:

Comment

Thank You Everyone

I just want you all to know that I am not upset or angry if you give me differing opinions. Even if some of you call me out for what we are doing over here because you don't agree with it, that's a good wake up call that perhaps we are not doing what's best for the cat. I welcome your opinion and consider and weigh it. I want to sincerely thank everyone who has contributed to this post, and come Monday, Miss E.'s condition will be re-assessed if she is still here with us. We really didn't think she would last through the weekend, but she has been surprising us with doing what she does, and doing better than before. We don't want to watch her starve to death either. She has been too good a cat to do that to her whether she realizes what is going on completely or not. She is hungry, and that is why we have been trying to fix that. She is starting to eat on her own again. If we can't come up with a way for her to get ENOUGH nutrition she won't starve and can be comfortable... we SIMPLY WON'T ALLOW her to starve to death. That is cruel, and NOT the way OUR cat is going to go! We won't allow her to be in pain!

Thank you everyone and Blessed Be!
                  Clair
                  Last edited by Clair de la Lune; February 7th, 2010, 05:24 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Proud to have Co-Hosted MW's 1st BABY SHOWER!!

Friend me!
                  The Octopus' Garden:

Comment

Dear Clair, I have worked in animal rescue and have lost count of poor animals I have had to put down. I know how hard it is to make this choice. It is so hard to see them hurt and harder still to watch them die.

However. Animals are gifted/cursed with the instinctive need to fight to live, even when what they really need is mercy. You can ask you beloved pet a million times and she will only respond with the drive to survive, even if she is in incredible pain and slowly starving to death. Thus is how Mother Nature created her.

You have free will and self awareness. Mother Nature gave us these gifts/curses so that we could make such decisions. Your Miss.E cannot.

A cat who is this ill, who is not taken to a vet to be put down will crawl under a couch or some hiding place and pass away alone. This is also instinct she cannot fight. Then you will be forced to pull her still body out from her hiding place, and will not have had the chance to say good bye or sing her soul to the otherside.

I humbly beg you as someone who has worked in this field to spare Miss.E anymore suffering, let her keep her dignity, and do the hardest thing. Let her die in your loving arms. Let her last sight be your gentle smile, the last thing she hears be your voice. Be brave for her. Do this for her, you are strong enough.

*HUGS*
                    Last edited by Juniper138; February 7th, 2010, 04:53 PM.
                    Click here to go to my website: Walking the Hedge :spinnysmi

Click here to go to my Podcast! Standing Stone & Garden Gate

Witches’ Sabbat at Raven’s Knoll :boing:

Comment

galore.
                      "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

"If a book has my name on it, I wrote it. Every word of it." ~Nora Roberts.

Comment

Working...
                      X