I can't stop dancing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't stop dancing!

Horses and cats always been the (domesticated) animals that drew me the most. And while I've been around cats all my life, I have only ridden a horse once, and it wasn't even that fun because the horse was so downbeaten and sad. It was one of those stables that rented horses out and I was in girlscouts. It was set up on a trail and I didn't even get a chance to connect to it. Maybe a 3 minute ride?

So anyways, my friend J was telling me about a year ago about his dad's farm, and the three or four horses on it. And I commented that I wish I could go down there and meet them. (Didn't even care about riding them, lol, that's how much I want to interact with them.

So J moved back in with his father, and sent me an email saying that he asked his father if I could come down occasionally and ride the horses that they have. And he said yes!

So now I might be able to go down for a weekend and have a dream come true and if his dad likes me, then I'm sure I could go down more often! I'm so freaking hyped up.

Anyways, I haven't studied horses in awhile, but I was just wondering if anyone has some advice or tips for a newbie lol.

I know that it's bad to walk up behind the horse without giving them some warning, like a whistle or talking or something. Right? And that you're supposed to mount on the right side? I seem to recall that advice. If I'm wrong please let me know!

I can't stop grinning lol. I'm such a dork.
    Last edited by faye_cat; March 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM.
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

I always mount on the left side of the horse and speak before I approach a horse...gently touch the croup/quarters/thighs, esp when moving around the backside of the animal.

Try to relax. Being nervous, lack of confidence really, makes the horse nervous too. Command garners respect and mutual trust.

Comment

Thanks. So is the mounting side just personal preference then?
      Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
      my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Comment

Not sure. That's the side I use because my left hand is useless. It might as well be a fin!

And don't bump your horse when you mount. He'll start moving with you hanging there!

Comment

Most horses are trained to always be approached from the left.
          “A book must be the pick ax that shatters the frozen sea within us.”

-Franz Kafka

sigpic
          Thanks to Lilith Morgaine for the gorgeous Book Club banners! :yourock:

“For a wise, a knowing and a learned people are the least likely of any in the world to be enslaved.”
          —Samuel Webster, 1777

To change one's life:
          Start immediately.
          Do it flamboyantly.
          No exceptions.
          - William James

Check out my new place! http://baile-dragan.myminicity.com/ind/

Comment

I train all of mine to be mounted from either side. A horses brain is basically spilt in two.. so what they experience on one side of the body they need to also experience on the other side. The reason I trian them to be mounted from either side is two fold. Some people with disabilities are unable to mount from the left side. So training a horse to only be mounted from the left excludes them. But more importantly; if you are ever out riding and something happens to where you are hurt and only able to mount from the right side; the horse will allow it.

Mounting from the left is an old carry over from medieval (warhorse) days.. since most people are right handed the sword would have been worn on the left leg.. making mounting from the right side nearly impossible. And if I remember history correctly there was a Greek general (?) who wrote about mounting... stating it should be done from the left because of the same reason.. however he also said that one should also learn to mount from the right just in case you were wounded in battle and it made it necessary to do so.
            ~~~( 8:> <:3 )~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic Christian View Post
              Not sure. That's the side I use because my left hand is useless. It might as well be a fin!

And don't bump your horse when you mount. He'll start moving with you hanging there!
              I know, I know! You mount on the left because knights carried their swords on the left side. They'd have had a hell of a time mounting from the right with a sword sheathed there
              --------------------------------
              "There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything" -byron

Comment

Also Sollie, I've been around horses my whole life. If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to PM me with them.
                "There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything" -byron

Comment

My best advice is to listen to your friend and your friend's farther carefully when you get there. They know their horses and how they can be ridden. Don't pretend to know more than you do, it will just lead to problems.

Good Luck and have fun!
                  We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
                  (\_/) (\_/)
                  (O.o) ( _ )
                  (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
                  Green Room Forum Guide
                  The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Cindlady2 View Post
                    My best advice is to listen to your friend and your friend's farther carefully when you get there. They know their horses and how they can be ridden. Don't pretend to know more than you do, it will just lead to problems.

Good Luck and have fun!
                    YES. Every horse is different. Just because you read something in a book doesn't mean it will work with that particular horse..

Comment

well, maybe take a few lessons.... and buy the book horses for dummies. it's really a good book!

remember riding is the simplest, but most difficult thing you will probably learn to do.

buy a HELMET! and proper footwear... riding english? get some chaps to protect your legs. western? i can ride western in shorts.... maybe you can too.

i felt the same way when i got to ride the first time (i was 19) have fun, keep safe
                      "Why be difficult when, with just a little more effort, you can be impossible?"

Comment

Working...
                      X