Second lamb.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second lamb.

Well here is the other keeper, ewe lamb.
    Her name is Ebony.

Her opposite, the white lamb in my other thread, we are calling Ivory since she is a keeper too.

So in addition to Daisy and Dixie we now have Ebony and Ivory.
    Last edited by Shanti; March 29th, 2011, 11:00 PM.
    :boing:

*squishy squeaky squealy sounds*

so cute....

btw what is a keeper?
    or do you mean it like, "i like her, she's a keeper!"

Comment

Originally posted by antiquitas View Post
      *squishy squeaky squealy sounds*

so cute....

btw what is a keeper?
      or do you mean it like, "i like her, she's a keeper!"
      Probably more like "It's a girl so I won't eat her"?

ETA: male sheep are problematic to keep, which means that each lambing you usually keep the females and either sell or slaughter the males when they get to a certain age.
      Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by ئon Flux View Post
        Probably more like "It's a girl so I won't eat her"?

ETA: male sheep are problematic to keep, which means that each lambing you usually keep the females and either sell or slaughter the males when they get to a certain age.
        Bingo!!!!

And I want 4 ewes and now I have that.

But....future ewe lambs are for mutton too. Mutton here cost 10 bucks per pound! Cheaper to do your own than buy it, especially since we process them ourselves....and I love mutton. So do my kids. From our past rams, we had 40 pounds of ground mutton.
        It was gone in 2 months. :toofless:
        Hamburger never is eaten that fast, sits in the freezer for months and months...yukky hamburger. LOL

Oh and mine is all organic! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Shanti View Post
          Bingo!!!!

And I want 4 ewes and now I have that.

But....future ewe lambs are for mutton too. Mutton here cost 10 bucks per pound! Cheaper to do your own than buy it, especially since we process them ourselves....and I love mutton. So do my kids. From our past rams, we had 40 pounds of ground mutton.
          It was gone in 2 months. :toofless:
          Hamburger never is eaten that fast, sits in the freezer for months and months...yukky hamburger. LOL

Oh and mine is all organic! :D
          :hahugh: Yeah, I have a great aunt who owns a lot of sheep back in Sweden. They breed them and have them mainly for the wool though. My sister spent a couple of months when her life was a little whirlwind helping them bottle raise a lamb and take care of the sheep. It did her good.

We've also raised chickens and turkeys, so I know what it's like with males of most farm animals. Unless you're breeding them they can be a pain in the butt. Especially male sheep. Ow... literal pain in the butt.

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

lol suddenly the lamb is a little less cute.

ok maybe not.

my suburbaniteness is showing :giggle:

Comment

Hurray, an adorable black lamb for keeps!
              "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
              We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

Comment

Awww!!!...What a cutie!!!:weirdsmil

What I mean to say is,Yes,In the end we are all in the same boat.We're all just too busy trying to sink eachother to see it.~Me

Change is the only consistant thing in this world~Me

I am a Women,Therefore it is in my very Nature to be soul deep,caring,Increadibly complex and a constant source of awe and headaches!~Me

Exactly Why is it that 'With all Due Respect' really means kiss my ass.~Me

sigpic
                http://cooltext.com/

Comment

:hahugh: Yeah, I have a great aunt who owns a lot of sheep back in Sweden. They breed them and have them mainly for the wool though. My sister spent a couple of months when her life was a little whirlwind helping them bottle raise a lamb and take care of the sheep. It did her good.

We've also raised chickens and turkeys, so I know what it's like with males of most farm animals. Unless you're breeding them they can be a pain in the butt. Especially male sheep. Ow... literal pain in the butt.
                  Oh mine are primarily for wool. They are all longwool breeds. I spin their wool. Mutton is their second purpose after wool.
                  Thats also why I always make sure I get at least that first fabulous lamb shearing and preferably one adult shearing before I sell or eat any.
                  I dont eat lamb and wont kill a lamb. I wait till they are 1 yr old. I tasted lamb once, bland. Yuk.

I'm not a big fan of killing ewes either because they dont turn all mean and dangerous but my mate only eats ewes. I'd rather eat just the rams. So from here on out, I hope for lots and lots of rams!

Comment

Oh mine are primarily for wool. They are all longwool breeds. I spin their wool. Mutton is their second purpose after wool.
                    Thats also why I always make sure I get at least that first fabulous lamb shearing and preferably one adult shearing before I sell or eat any.
                    I dont eat lamb and wont kill a lamb. I wait till they are 1 yr old. I tasted lamb once, bland. Yuk.

I'm not a big fan of killing ewes either because they dont turn all mean and dangerous but my mate only eats ewes. I'd rather eat just the rams. So from here on out, I hope for lots and lots of rams!
                    Yeah, my great-aunt has like... woah. Last time I was there they had at least ten to fifteen sheep. They own a lot of land so they have no problem feeding them. I think they primarily sell the rams after the second sheering. She spins yarn to weave with. She has one of those old fashioned weaving machines.

My husband loves to eat lamb. Primarily lambs neck.

I don't eat sheep at all, being a vegetarian, but my husband gets the occasional eco-chicken and lambs necks. He hates sheep, they creep him out. I love them, they are so adorable, the ewes are generally quite nice and I like the smell of them. I think it's because it reminds me of my childhood.

Comment

Yeah, my great-aunt has like... woah. Last time I was there they had at least ten to fifteen sheep. They own a lot of land so they have no problem feeding them. I think they primarily sell the rams after the second sheering. She spins yarn to weave with. She has one of those old fashioned weaving machines.

My husband loves to eat lamb. Primarily lambs neck.

I don't eat sheep at all, being a vegetarian, but my husband gets the occasional eco-chicken and lambs necks. He hates sheep, they creep him out. I love them, they are so adorable, the ewes are generally quite nice and I like the smell of them. I think it's because it reminds me of my childhood.
                      Dont feel bad. The smell of cow manure says home sweet home to me. LOL
                      I dont even like beef, but their poo smells sweet!

Comment

Dont feel bad. The smell of cow manure says home sweet home to me. LOL
                        I dont even like beef, but their poo smells sweet!
                        Sheep and horse does it for me. I'm not too fond of chicken poop though, despite having frown up with them all around me.
                        I used to take riding lessons and actually enjoyed cleaning out the stables.Wonder if I can get a job doing that... :hahugh::weirdsmil

Comment

Working...
                        X