Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daisy's birthing. Warning, graphic pics may be gross to some.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daisy's birthing. Warning, graphic pics may be gross to some.

For the ones that would like to see a ewe lamb, here are Daisy's birthing pics. This was her first time.

Here is the beginning of labor. The bubble is only full of fluid. It helps dilate the ewe so she can pass the lamb.
    She lays and pushes.

She gets up and does walk around for a bit.

I move her into her shelter. After that bubble broke and goo came out, she proceeded to push out the first lamb in its sac. This is a perfect presentation and nice clean sac.

After this she bounced up and turned. They drop the lamb out standing.
    That breaks the cord to. It also results in me not getting a clear
    shot for more pics till lamb is here and mom cleans it.

Next was the ram. Not so happy.
    He was covered in meconium from his sister before him.

Mom rejected him and refused to clean him so I had to. Daisy being new didnt know why he was all yukky, unlike the first born, so she didnt respond to him. She assumed somethings not kosher since he smelled different.

After awhile mom decided she didnt want that ram lamb anywhere near her and she attacked him. I got him away from her before she killed him. It was horrible seeing a ewe turn on her own lamb.

Now we have a bottle ram! No, not cool. He is for next winters breeding and bottle rams make even deadlier rams. They have no fear of human.
    Rams are strong, and most often horned. And they can kill a human with one attack.
    So he will have one duty for one year. Then, well.
    They are delicious. :mmm:

Oh here is why he is next winters breeder.
    Tight, nice, black wool.
    I like black wool for my spinning, No dyes needed.
    Last edited by Shanti; March 30th, 2011, 12:05 AM.
    :boing:

D'aww!! I love birthing. I miss my babies.

I'm sorry momma rejected your ram though. I hope he does well for you next year.
    Last edited by RoseKitten; March 30th, 2011, 10:22 AM.
    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Comment

Cool pics!

They both look cute.

Unfortunate about the ram, though
      Did she reject him because of the meconium?

Comment

cool pics, congrats on the new babies

that's sucky about the ram though

So tie me to a post and block my ears
        I can see widows and orphans through my tears
        I know my call despite my faults
        And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
        And I won't let you choke
        On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
        And I will change my ways
        I'll know my name as it's called again
        ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight

Comment

Poor ram Sorry to hear that.

But, wow what wonderful pics! They aren't gross at all, they're beautiful!
          "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Comment

Cool Pics, they aren't gross at all! They are beautiful! Sorry to hear about your baby ram, though. I pray all will be well with him.

Comment

Thank you for sharing, that is amazing! I know that some animals reject their young for various reasons... I assumed when you said he was rejected due to the meconium that after he was cleansed she'd recognize him/scent him? Is it possible for her to accept him sometime soon?

Comment

Originally posted by ~*Sacred*~ View Post
                Thank you for sharing, that is amazing! I know that some animals reject their young for various reasons... I assumed when you said he was rejected due to the meconium that after he was cleansed she'd recognize him/scent him? Is it possible for her to accept him sometime soon?
                I only wish. Sheep dont work like that. If she would of cleaned him herself, she may have bonded but since he smelled wrong to her, he was seen as a threat and once a ewe makes up their mind of what is a threat, your most likely not changing it. We tried to get her to accept him the first 24 hours but it didnt work.
                Sheep can be very fickle, especially first timers.
                :boing:

Comment

Ooooh! Nice pictures.. Does this make you a Grandma??? :D

Comment

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Too bad about the ram...

Wolf Credo,
                    Copyright 1988
                    by Del Goetz & Associates

Comment

Working...
                    X