Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you first meet and adopt/get your cat(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you first meet and adopt/get your cat(s)?

It was a warm, spring day, and I was going garden shopping with my mother. To get there, we always have to pass the animal hospital, and I've always stopped to take a look through the window to see if there were any kittens up for adoption. That day was my lucky day! I spotted a blue kitten in the window, and she started to play with the bell ball tied up from the cage. She didn't seem to notice me, so I tapped the window lightly. The kitten immediately stopped and glanced at me with her beady eyes. I smiled at her I had a feeling she was a female, so I stuck with it.

My mother was also interested in the kitten. The kitten watched us as we went inside. The animal hospital was empty. I, who had no knowledge of cat behavior that time, stupidly stared at the cat without blinking for a few seconds. The kitten crouched low, and her pupils grew wide. She pounced at me which scared me to death. I found it adorable though. I stuck my fingers inside, and she grabbed them gently with her tiny paws. This was my first physical contact with a kitten, and I was fascinated by the sandy texture of her tongue.

The woman, who was the veterinary clerk, came out and took the kitten out of the cage. She introduced her (I was right! The kitty is female) to me and my mother. The woman cradled the kitten in her two palms. I was so spell bounded by the kitten that I wasn't listening to half of the things she said LOL. In the end I ask her what was the kitten's name. The woman was a bit surprised that I asked that question. "Matilda," she said as if it was a secret name between her and the kitten. I tried so hard not to make a funny face. Matilda sounded too innocent. That kitten was beyond "innocent." However, I respected the name because that was Matilda's first given name.

I begged my mother to adopt Matilda. My mother was skeptic of course. Our family had never adopted furry animals. We had fishes, frogs, and even lobsters, but never cats. Finally she said, "Fine. Let me call your father first." NO WAY. He was going to say no. I had no idea how I did it, but in the end my mother decided not to tell him. I felt an euphoria wash over me. I was going to adopt a kitten!!!

I told the woman we're going to adopt her. She gave me these looks. I mean, come on. Who can trust a a 15 year old teenager taking care of a kitten? (Ahahahaha. I proved her wrong later on anyway.) The woman gave us a quick overview of the adoption process and fee. My mother of course didn't understand English, so I had to translate it to Cantonese back and forth. My mother and I had to leave now, and I told the woman that we were going to come back. By now we saw some people stopping by the animal hospital and cooing at the kitten. I was afraid that Matilda was going to be taken away from me, so I rushed my mother to the garden shop as fast as possible.

Before I left, Matilda was glancing at me with those eyes. I told her that I was going to come back to her, and for a moment I felt a connection between me and the kitten.

When we got home, I quickly did research on cat food, supplies, litter, etc. on the internet for an hour. I have done research on cats before, but not on kittens. I literally ran back to the animal hospital LOL, and my mother told me to calm down. Then we adopted Matilda, but now her name is Argentum. Argentum means silver in Latin, and it purrrfectly fits her.

She is now a 2 year old, 10 lb, spayed cat doing fine. Sometimes I wish she was a kitten again, but at times she does act like one. Argentum is quite picky and I have to rotate her food everyday. Dry food (Buffalo Blue) in the morning (she gets really excited) and wet food for dinner. I have to switch Petguard and Weruva back and forth everyday because she's so damn picky. Sometimes I feed her Orijen dry food for dinner because she gets sick of wet food sometimes.

Oh. Did I mention her birthday is 2 days after mine (April 16 and April 18)? We're very alike in personality :D Anyway she's sleeping under my bed now. I'll bother her again soon.

I'm also sorry that if this post was too long, but when it comes to my cat I type an essay
    Last edited by shebear; August 9th, 2010, 03:42 PM.

My heart melted when I read how you adopted your kitty.

I've always lived with cats, ever since I was a baby. I've never lived anywhere that we didn't have at least one cat living with us.

We currently have three new furbabies living with us, we adopted them from my husband's grandmother back in April.

Noelle, the white fluffy one, was adopted from our local animal shelter when Nanny's cat Casey was hit by a car. Noelle is 15 years old, dainty and a sassy girl but she is very loving and playful when she wants to be.

Angel is a Seal Point Siamese, Nanny adopted her from a recognized breeder that was a friend of her former neighbor's. Angel is a big baby, she's always purring and talking to me, she adopted me as her favorite person in our house. She's a glutton though, always looking for food the instant I go into the kitchen. She's about 7 pounds now but she used to be close to 20 pounds at one time!!! Angel is also the resident dive bombing opera diva... She yowls when she can't find me and she will zoom up the stairs and jump at me while I'm on the computer... I'm always looking over my shoulder, paranoid that I'm going to see this little Siamese cat flying toward my head!!!

Amber is an orange and gray tabby who was a stray that Nanny found beside our doctor's offices... She ran right up to Nanny in the parking lot and started purring. Nanny (like me) has a very soft spot for cats so she took Amber home. Amber is a very loving girl who loves my son, he's her main person, but will lay on mine or my husband's lap. She's around 4 years old now and the most active of all three kitties.

Ever since these three have been here, I've been dive bombed a LOT, had my hands scratched to pieces during playtime, gotten yowled at a LOT, heard tons of caterwauling when they cross each others' paths, and watched the dog (also an adoptee from Nanny's house) get the stuffing beat out of him on a daily basis.

They are interesting creatures, fun and just plain insane... But I love them all dearly and would not trade them in for the world.
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

"If a book has my name on it, I wrote it. Every word of it." ~Nora Roberts.

Comment

Aww! Thanks for sharing :D

Speaking of dogs, my cat is a daredevil. Our neighbor lets their dog out in the backyard sometimes, and several times my cat tried to defend herself (there's a fence so no worries). The first time she came out under my father's car and started to hiss at the dog. Then she got closer to the fence and tried to smack the dog with her paws through the fence! I immediately barged out from the door and scolded my kitty to get back inside. It was really dangerous even though there's a fence. That dog was bigger than her, and I was afraid her paws were going to get bitten off. The other time she tried to make herself look big by jumping on top of my dad's car. The dog started to recede, but it still barked.

Every time I scold her, her tails flies straight up as if she enjoyed it! I bet she was thinking, "Haha, doggie!" and sticks her tongue out at it as if it was victory. She's really naughty LOL.

Now my kitty's outdoor days are over She got fleas last time, and I'm not risking it again. I know she's happiest when she's outside, but it's for her own good. I still feel really guilty when she begs me to go out. I only let her go out when it's her birthday, or when it's a snow day. Cats are less likely to get fleas and ticks in cold weather I hope.

Comment

Such nice stories.

Mine isn't that grand.

I worked at a pet store for many years. My two cats came from there. I fell in love with their personalities when I was working with them.

My Siamese is the older of the two, we got her because my then husband was allergic to cats and the Siamese fur didn't cause as bad a reaction with him.

I wanted the calico from the moment I saw her. In all the years I worked there she was the only diluted calico that we ever had come in so I scoffed her up.

So tie me to a post and block my ears
        I can see widows and orphans through my tears
        I know my call despite my faults
        And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
        And I won't let you choke
        On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
        And I will change my ways
        I'll know my name as it's called again
        ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight

Comment

Originally posted by shebear View Post
          Aww! Thanks for sharing :D

Speaking of dogs, my cat is a daredevil. Our neighbor lets their dog out in the backyard sometimes, and several times my cat tried to defend herself (there's a fence so no worries). The first time she came out under my father's car and started to hiss at the dog. Then she got closer to the fence and tried to smack the dog with her paws through the fence! I immediately barged out from the door and scolded my kitty to get back inside. It was really dangerous even though there's a fence. That dog was bigger than her, and I was afraid her paws were going to get bitten off. The other time she tried to make herself look big by jumping on top of my dad's car. The dog started to recede, but it still barked.

Every time I scold her, her tails flies straight up as if she enjoyed it! I bet she was thinking, "Haha, doggie!" and sticks her tongue out at it as if it was victory. She's really naughty LOL.

Now my kitty's outdoor days are over She got fleas last time, and I'm not risking it again. I know she's happiest when she's outside, but it's for her own good. I still feel really guilty when she begs me to go out. I only let her go out when it's her birthday, or when it's a snow day. Cats are less likely to get fleas and ticks in cold weather I hope.
          Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to see if you could train your kitty to go on a leash?

I used to take my old cat Birdie out on a leash and harness and made sure she had her monthly dose of anti flea meds before I took her outside. She was an outdoor cat for 11 years before we moved in with Nanny. She hated it but didn't mind it after a while.

In fact, I didn't take her to the vet's without her leash the last going off... I would drive her there in the carrier and put her leash and harness on her before we got out of the car. She liked that a lot better because she could explore and get attention from other people. She also liked to beat up dogs so I really had to be careful that she didn't venture too close to a dog while we were there, the dog may wind up getting some VERY nasty injuries from Birdie's ultra sharp claws... *sheepish grin*

The dog we have now is a big baby, he lets Amber lick his face and lets all three cats beat the stuffing out of him. I've only seen three or four other dogs who allowed cats to do that in my almost 36 years on this earth... One was a Beagle that my parents had, another was a Black Lab that Nanny had, my sister's former Shepherd/Lab mix and my sister's current dog, a German Shepherd.

Seeing a little cat beat the stuffing out of a huge dog and the dog not fighting back is freaking hilarious!!! You'd think these huge dogs would hurt the cat but they just sit back, let the cat beat them up and then they nap together!! It's a sight you have to see to believe!!!

Comment

LOL!

I'm not sure about that black dog in our backyard. He/She has a history of being viscous and barks at everyone. I think it's a black lab or mutt, but I don't know anything about dog breeds lol! He/she even barks at my parents, siblings, or I when we hang laundry clothes outside.

Oh no. Leash training has never worked out. I had first placed the leash on her when my cat was 5 weeks old, and she went hysterical! She ran away from me and wouldn't even let me take it off of her. I don't know how she did it, but in the end she took the leash off herself.

My cat doesn't like to travel outside where there are cars. Even the noise intimidates her. The only places she likes is our backyard where it is quiet and close to nature. Even bringing her to the vet is a hassle. It takes me forever to lure her inside the cat carrier because she knows where she's going.

The Aries kitty is a tough kitty.
            Last edited by shebear; August 9th, 2010, 04:42 PM.

Comment

aww what a cute thread. I love reading about how you met your kitties

I have 4 cats currently.

My cat Kami is this beautiful black little princess lol I have had her since she was born. her mother was a stray that some people up the street from us fed. And I fell in love with her & named her Shadow. My mom wouldn't let me take her in though but my aunt and uncle did instead. She was preggers at the time. For some reason that I can't remember now my aunt and uncle couldn't have her for a little bit and we were watching her. She gave birth to three kittens and my mom fell in love and we kept two of them lol Kami just became mine or I became hers lol

Two of our cats we adopted- Kisa and Kye.

Keeba though has a very cool story

One night at like 1am or so I wanted my husband to run down and get the pop out of the car. But he wouldn't the butt head (mostly because it was my pop lol) so I was being overly dramatic teasing him that I was going to be kidnapped & killed lol

He promised that if I wasn't back in 5 mins he would come check on me. lol

So I go out and get the pop. And we were parked in the street. I start walking back towards my house and I swear I hear a meow. I look all around I can't see a thing so I start walking again and there it is another meow. Look all around still nothing so again try to walk away and he meows again! I remember it was such a sad little don't go meow.

So i finally realize it is coming from under our car and I get down and sure enough I see his little glowey eyes sparkle.

So 5 mins later my husband keeps his promise to actually come look for me thinking I am being silly and seeing if he will really come out. He finds me laying in the middle of the street! lmao

I am laying there trying my hardest to call this kitten to come to me but he won't and he won't let me leave either because of his sad crying. Everytime I got up and took a step away he would poke his head out and cry!

Finally we are able to draw him out with food. He was a dirty tiny little mess and he cried all night long lol. But he was the most loving sweet cat I have ever met. I think he was so grateful to have a home and food and love.

http://www.mysticwicks.com/album.php?albumid=1347
              My Kitties^

This was when we first found Keeba how horrible he looked lol

Listen to my sound. I am the wind, which echos through the trees. The gentle breeze which tickles your flesh. Touch that which you walk upon. I am the green fields filled with fresh flowers. My breast the mountain peaks which reach toward the heavens. My curves the endless canyons. The waters that run through my womb, nourish the sacred river of life. I am the song within the storm. The whisper on the edge of the forest. The silence. The rush of raging waterfalls. Open your eyes my child, for I am everywhere. I have never left you and never will.

Comment

My first two kittehs were adopted from friends who could not keep them. Tigger and Tomcat. Tomcat was a little trouble maker. lol. We eventually gave them to friends when we moved. I got to see them every once in a while, but never heard much about them after that.

Then came Misty and Noel from an animal shelter. We lost Misty several years ago, but we still have Noel. And not long after Misty died, Smokey wandered off the streets into our home He had three legs and no claws, but he can hunt better than any cat I have ever seen with no claws and 3 legs! :P He's very friendly as well. We also rescued another cat from the streets we call Oscar
                "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Comment

I've been a sucker for animals ever since my 5th birthday.
                  After school on my 5th birthday my mum, grandma and ex-step-dad (then just my mothers boyfriend) went for a drive. My mom and her boyfriend got out of the car, and I had no clue why. I didn't know that we were outside an animal foster home. I realized this when my mom came out holding the cutest little black and white kitty with long fur and whiskers way too big for her body (which she never grew into), she was my birthday present (who my mom took care of). I called her Boots, because of her little white paws. Her nose was half black and half pink, and she was my little kitty.
                  Boots and I grew up together, we lived 17 happy years. She slept with me at night, curling up either at the foot of my bed, near my head or under my blankets, sometimes even on top of me!! Unfortunately, in 2003 we had to put her down, her kidney's were failing, 75% gone, in fact, and it was the only humane choice, I could not let my kitty suffer another moment. She'd been going for the week leading up to that. She spent her days with me, moreso than usual, the day we took her to the vets (Dec. 30, 2003, I will not forget it) she stayed with me as long as possible, we woke up early, she joined me on my bed and curled up beside me as I watched the WJHC, and I held her as the vet put her to sleep.

Our second cat is my mom's and her name is Blue, we got her two weeks after we got Boots. She was this cute little girl, who looked so small because she had short fur, and her skin looked like it was blue, so my mom named her Blue. At nearly 20 years old she has arthritis, and pulls her fur out, but she still lives at home with Mom.

Third kitty story, her name is Missy (Mischief). We found her abandoned in a suite in our old apartment building, so we brought her home, only temporarily (this was about 3 months after Boots passed on), that was about 7 years ago, we can see how temporary that was. She's still living with my mom, who's added a third cat to the collection (temporarily, she says), who was abandoned in a townhouse in her complex...
                  “I like someone who is a little crazy but coming from a good place. I think scars are sexy because it means you made a mistake that led to a mess.” ~ Angelina Jolie

Comment

Originally posted by shebear View Post
                    LOL!

I'm not sure about that black dog in our backyard. He/She has a history of being viscous and barks at everyone. I think it's a black lab or mutt, but I don't know anything about dog breeds lol! He/she even barks at my parents, siblings, or I when we hang laundry clothes outside.

Oh no. Leash training has never worked out. I had first placed the leash on her when my cat was 5 weeks old, and she went hysterical! She ran away from me and wouldn't even let me take it off of her. I don't know how she did it, but in the end she took the leash off herself.

My cat doesn't like to travel outside where there are cars. Even the noise intimidates her. The only places she likes is our backyard where it is quiet and close to nature. Even bringing her to the vet is a hassle. It takes me forever to lure her inside the cat carrier because she knows where she's going.

The Aries kitty is a tough kitty.
                    Yep, the Aries kitties are tough and FUSSY... Birdie was an Aries and boy was she the most fussy cat I've ever lived with!!!

The leash was an idea at least... Too bad you couldn't train her for it. I know Noelle used to freak out when I tried training her for the leash while she was still living with Nanny. Angel freaks out whenever we try her with the leash too. I haven't tried Amber on the leash yet but that is a strong possibility because she's always trying to get out... I have to keep a spray bottle of water right by the door whenever I open it so if she makes a run for it, I can give her a squirt of water as a message that she's not allowed outside.

CR, CH, Selah and KnowYourRights, those are all wonderful stories about how you adopted your furbabies.

I want to show y'all pics of our latest three furbabies... Attachment 1 is Amber looking out our main outside door. Attachment 2 is Angel sitting on the cats' feeding area. Attachment 3 is Noelle staring at me.

Comment

Spirit was the sole survivor of a litter that a feral cat had. Something killed her litter mates while mom was gone and she left her for dead. I took care of her from about 2 weeks old.

Natas was here when we moved in, living under the porch. We just say :she came with the house"! LOL
                      We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
                      (\_/) (\_/)
                      (O.o) ( _ )
                      (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
                      Green Room Forum Guide
                      The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

When I was living in my old apartment, the complex did not allow cats unless they were declawed. There was an orange tabby, later named Vico (at that time I simply called him Mister Orange), that always hung around my apartment, pounded on my door with his paws, and was extremely friendly, constantly trying to get in.

I jokingly told him one day, when he was being particularly insistent: "If Bast sends me a kitty that's already been declawed (as I'm not about to do something like that to a cat), I'll register him with the complex owners and smuggle you in, too."

Two days later I went back to my hometown to visit my parents.

There was a long haired white cat outside, jumping in the air at the flowers. Didn't think much about it, as Lexington has a lot of strays, despite a leash law, and I wasn't actually wasn't particularly interested in acquiring a new cat at that time.

Eventually, dad, who never gets involved with the strays, took him into the garage and fed him (they already had two other cats, and we didn't really have a way to quarantine him in the house, so into the garage he went).

I'd realized that he seemed to belong to the neighbors across the street, so decided to ask over there, and let them know that Lexington had a leash law, and that at the edge of town it wasn't a good idea to have an outdoor cat, since the coyotes and raccoons often fought with them, and the coyotes at least sometimes kill them (except for this one, of course....this Canis latrans happens to like cats...:toofless. And seeing as he was frontally declawed, he wouldn't have any means of defending himself.

They had no idea about any of that, they took the cat back and I didn't think much about it.

Two days later my dad called and asked me if I wanted him.

It turns out, with regard to the neighbors, the father had seen the cat hanging around an apartment complex for quite some time, but no one ever came out to him, and he was getting thinner. One day some brats started using him as a paintball target.

That was when the father took him in. The kids wanted him. The mother didn't. Hence, the only way they were allowed to keep him was as an outdoor kitty, and apparently my comments about the leash law and the local wildlife made that seem like an unappealing option.

So, apparently Bast took me up on my joking promise to Vico and sent me a declawed cat. And yes, I registered him with the apartment complex, and took in Vico as well.

Vico now has a happy home with my parents and Lorenzo now lives with me. :hahugh:

And last I heard about the kids before that family moved out of that house, my mom looked out the window one day to see them playing with the dog on the roof. So it's probably a good thing that Lorenzo didn't go to them.
                        Last edited by Corvis Canis Latrans; August 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM.

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it!"
                        Arthur Dent Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Mass hysteria and mass complacency are flip sides of the same coin. Never panic, always think for yourself. Question all information, even from those individuals and sources you hold most cherished, for in those instances, complacency and hysteria alike become all too easy. All information either comes from humans or is filtered through the human mind (our own or another's) and thus subject to human faults no matter if it comes from a scientist or a messiah. Question it. And constantly question yourself.

Neither ravens nor wolves like to be gilt in silver.

Comment

Originally posted by Caelestis ♥ Raven View Post
                          aww what a cute thread. I love reading about how you met your kitties

I have 4 cats currently.

My cat Kami is this beautiful black little princess lol I have had her since she was born. her mother was a stray that some people up the street from us fed. And I fell in love with her & named her Shadow. My mom wouldn't let me take her in though but my aunt and uncle did instead. She was preggers at the time. For some reason that I can't remember now my aunt and uncle couldn't have her for a little bit and we were watching her. She gave birth to three kittens and my mom fell in love and we kept two of them lol Kami just became mine or I became hers lol

Two of our cats we adopted- Kisa and Kye.

Keeba though has a very cool story

One night at like 1am or so I wanted my husband to run down and get the pop out of the car. But he wouldn't the butt head (mostly because it was my pop lol) so I was being overly dramatic teasing him that I was going to be kidnapped & killed lol

He promised that if I wasn't back in 5 mins he would come check on me. lol

So I go out and get the pop. And we were parked in the street. I start walking back towards my house and I swear I hear a meow. I look all around I can't see a thing so I start walking again and there it is another meow. Look all around still nothing so again try to walk away and he meows again! I remember it was such a sad little don't go meow.

So i finally realize it is coming from under our car and I get down and sure enough I see his little glowey eyes sparkle.

So 5 mins later my husband keeps his promise to actually come look for me thinking I am being silly and seeing if he will really come out. He finds me laying in the middle of the street! lmao

I am laying there trying my hardest to call this kitten to come to me but he won't and he won't let me leave either because of his sad crying. Everytime I got up and took a step away he would poke his head out and cry!

Finally we are able to draw him out with food. He was a dirty tiny little mess and he cried all night long lol. But he was the most loving sweet cat I have ever met. I think he was so grateful to have a home and food and love.

http://www.mysticwicks.com/album.php?albumid=1347
                          My Kitties^

This was when we first found Keeba how horrible he looked lol

How did you manage to take Keeba home? Did he let you touch him? Most of the stray or feral cats I see outside won't let me get near them unless I give them food and turn my head away, so I can't look at them. They usually approach me slowly and sniff me, but once I turn my head towards them they back off.

Comment

How did you manage to take Keeba home? Did he let you touch him? Most of the stray or feral cats I see outside won't let me get near them unless I give them food and turn my head away, so I can't look at them. They usually approach me slowly and sniff me, but once I turn my head towards them they back off.
                            That's how Oscar was at first with us Now he won't leave us alone, lol

We also took care of a big brown Tabby named Speckle. He wasn't ours, he just liked to visit us. He was a pretty "dominant" cat, and did NOT get along with Oscar, though I never once heard him hiss. Not once. (And our neighbors will tell you, when their cat was a kitten, she used to really give Speckle hell. Speckle didn't seem to care about the kitten, but if he even looked in the kitten's direction, she'd hiss and spit and try to attack him. Speckle was a big cat, though, and it was funny to just see him run away from this little kitten!)

And it was Speckle actually who brought Smokey to us. Smokey seemed to be the only cat Speckle truley liked. It was weird. Every time Speckle would be eating, if he saw Smokey, he'd move aside and let him eat. He'd even get up and let him sit in the shade on a hot day! A lot of people may say cats don't work this way, but I honestly think maybe Speckle felt bad for Smokey. His owners' abandoned him and he had to live on his own for so long. It was finally one cold January afternoon after work that I told my dad, "Okay, we have to take him or he isn't going to survive." And he hasn't left since!

Not sure what happened to Speckle though. I hope he didn't get into a bad run in with a raccoon. I assume his owners simply decided to make him an indoor cat.
                            "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Comment

Corvis Canis Latrans, wow! That's an interesting story. I bet Bastet answers our cat-related prayers when it's something to do with her babies :D

I'm jealous at some of you guys who have affectionate cats! My cat isn't a lap kitty, and she rarely sits with me. She even hates being picked up but oh well. I still love her :D

By the way, Cloaked Raven, your cats are beautiful!

Here is my cat:

Comment

Working...
                              X