Help!! Pregnant Cat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!! Pregnant Cat!

OK so around 8am this morning, Mila, my SIL's cat started yowling at the top of her lungs. Around 8:15 she gave birth to a kitten in the middle of the floor and walked away. My SIL and I broke the sack and tried to rub it but there was never any movement or signs of life from the poor kitty. That was 3 hours ago. Since then Mila has not been yowling or anything. She's been pretty much chilling, but she's been wanting petted alot and purring which is quite unusual for her.

Now this is not my cat, and while she hasn't exactly been unfriendly towards me she's never been overly friendly either. She is not a cuddly cat and generally doesn't like to be touched. The last several days she's been up my butt. If i'm on the couch she's either on the couch with me or on the chair next to me. Today is worse than normal, if i even go out for a smoke she's waiting at the door when i get in. Does she need me to do something for her? I felt her belly and I do feel more kittens in there moving. Should we be expecting the rest of them today? Did this one die in utero and she just expelled it? Would that not trigger labor for the rest of them?

ETA: Like I said this is not my cat but for some reason i am the one dealing with it and I have no idea what's going on.
    Last edited by Ariste; September 22nd, 2011, 12:36 PM.

Have you tried calling the vet to ask? Or even better, taking her in to see him/her?
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

She doesn't have a vet. Again this is not my cat, if it were my cat it would be fixed and not pregnant.

Comment

Well then you need to make your SIL understand she needs to talk to a vet. Who has pets and no vet? I'm not attacking you so don't feel defensive, but someone has to take the initiative right now. It could be nothing and the cat is just fine, but what if it isn't?

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
        4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Oh agreed. I told her to call the vet hosp. And they said we could bring her in to see if there's more kitties in there, but I can SEE them moving so I know there are more there. They said if she's not showing signs of distress she's probably all right. She's pissed I won't let her out of the kitchen but otherwise she seems ok.

Comment

First live kitty!
            Eta: 2 live kitties. 2nd one is much smaller though and I had to move her up to get mila to sever the umbilical. She seems exhausted.
            Last edited by Ariste; September 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Hoping all turns out well for her, glad the rest of the kitties are coming!

R.I.P. MiLo
              4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

She let me feel her belly and I still feel movement in there. It's been about an hour since the last birth and she is mostly sleeping. Pretty sure we have at least one more coming though.

Comment

Sometimes it can be a couple of hours between kittens, what you are describing is not unusual behaviour for a momma cat in labour. If they are young, they sometimes don't seem to know what it happening to them and they do look for comfort. She will be alright, make sure the last placenta passes though. You can rub her tummy and it does help with the uterine contractions. Often kittens are born in various sizes. Good job!
                  "There is no cry of pain without, at its end, an echo of joy. --RamŮŽn de Campoamor (Spanish poet, 1817-1901)

http://www.tarotcanada.ca

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FutureEndeavours - quarterly newsletter archive.

Comment

This is her third litter but it's the first since my SIL acquired her. We're up to 3 and I'm not positive that there isn't still one more in there. The first one is black with awesome markings. I have claimed that one and rest assured it will be taken to a vet for shots and fixed. I however am very tired and sore from spending all day on the kitchen floor with the cat.

Comment

Any more kitties?
                      Our Blog! The Intuitive Unschooler

Freaky Mama to Arlo, Donovan, and Iris! (Homeschooled since birth!)

as well as three cats, six cockatiels, and one parakeet. :uhhuhuh:

Comment

Nah was just the 3. I went out in the garage to smoke last night and Mila comes sauntering up, meowing to be let in the house. I dunno who let her out, but if she got pregnant again my MIL is going to freak. My SIL threw a fit that we could keep a kitty and she couldn't (my MIL's theory was that she already had a cat and we didn't) so she relented and said as long as she gets BOTH Mila and the kitty fixed she could keep one, but my SIL has to find the money for it. I told Julie that I looked online and it said a cat can get pregnant within days of having a litter and we needed to make sure she didn't get out, but my SIL doesn't like listening to her cry at the door so she'll just let her out most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                        X