Making her last years better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making her last years better

My in-laws moved out and are letting us stay in their old house. I was shocked to see everyone and almost everything gone...and then their cats. I was talking about it today and said straight out that I did not want to deal with anyone else's pets and if they are to stay here, I am taking full custody. My nana (husband's grandmother) turned to me and said "you will have to put Pistol down soon you know...."

I know they don't really pay attention to their animals especially the cats. I found out Pistol is turning 16 this year. 16 years of being ignored. On top of that, they don't vet their animals unless they're sick and the cats aren't vetted unless they're dying. I believe all of them are seniors that need better care but the other two are much more people friendly. I have no doubt in my mind that I will be the one holding Pistol close when she has to face death.

Anyway I know she probably won't last long so I want to give her the best time of her life before she has to go. Any ideas?

Toys, catnip, affection, fish-smells, and not a lot of yelling in the house usually makes my kitty very happy. Especially the affection. A cat will melt for you over just that alone.
    I'm glad to see a kitty is getting something better now. :3

Comment

Originally posted by StarlitNox View Post
      Toys, catnip, affection, fish-smells, and not a lot of yelling in the house usually makes my kitty very happy. Especially the affection. A cat will melt for you over just that alone.
      I'm glad to see a kitty is getting something better now. :3
      So very well said! I tried to give you karma, StarlitNox, but the site was like "No, nyah" so it will happen sometime soon I suppose.

OP, I'd just try to make your kitty comfortable. I suggest giving her sunlit places to lay down in, and make kitty nests in the places you know she likes to sleep in. Having an extra blanket or something makes a good spot that much better. I would take the time to play with her but not roughly. I don't know what you feed her, but try feeding her some extra wet food with a little warm water mixed in. This is easier on the digestion than dry food and serves as a "treat" of sorts inbetween eating dry food. Sometimes it makes their poop smell funky though. We use Fancy Feast, which believe me is some of the best wet food. Ignore Friskies--my experience with Friskies has been some of the raunchiest smelling cat shit ever. Oh god the horror.

Just be with Pistol, let her know you're there for her. That companionship will help. Bless your heart for doing this.
      ---

[you have been visited by a heliotrope]

[hi]

Comment

Originally posted by Heliotrope View Post
        So very well said! I tried to give you karma, StarlitNox, but the site was like "No, nyah" so it will happen sometime soon I suppose.
        WO0T~ XD

Also, I forgot to add: give her a nice, cushy place to lay by a window. Every pet I've ever had seems to love windows and looking outside, even if they're not allowed out. I post this because my kitty is on an ottoman by the window and loving it - and watching the squirrels spaz out outside. xD If you have a window with a screen on it, that's better - fresh air for teh kitties~

Comment

Make her comfortable, make sure she has everything she needs and that she isn´t in pain, cuddle with her and tell her you love her every day, give her alot of treats that is good for her, and just be there, talk to her(sounds a little weird maybe) and help her, and simply love her and let her feel that she is getting attention and love, same goes for the other pets

Comment

I had a cat who lived to be 20 years old and she was VERY active right up until the last couple of weeks before she passed.

We took her to the vet's regularly, played with her, loved her a LOT and spoiled her rotten. Do that with all of the cats who reside with you and they will live good, happy, healthy and LONG lives.

Friskies has a VERY high ash content, which will make any kitty more prone to bladder infections and blockages in their urinary tract. Look for foods that have lower ash content, it's better for the kitty. And like Heliotrope said, Friskies DOES stink to high heaven, it's extremely nasty smelling to us hoomans!

If the kitty has arthritis in his/her hips, make sure you have "steps" leading up to their favorite spots to sleep and eat... For example, our kitty feeding station is up on top of an old bureau and one of our cats is 16, and she has arthritis in her hind quarters... So we always keep a chair close enough to that area that she can jump up on the chair, then the feeding area. They don't have to strain their hindquarters quite as much jumping only six inches to a foot than they would if they had to jump 2 or more feet up for example.

If you keep kitty indoors, an indoor cat food formula will help break up those nasty hairballs cats seem to get, especially the long haired kitties. Our kitties are inside babies and they don't seem to hack up the hairballs when their eating their favorite indoor food... Switch them over to regular cat food and... It's just too nasty to share here!!

Hope this helps!
            "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

"If a book has my name on it, I wrote it. Every word of it." ~Nora Roberts.

Comment

I have my mom's older cats and while she spoiled them rotten, after she passed, dad took little to no care of them. I give both of them the Cosequin joint supplement and it has vastly improved thier mobility. I also spoil them like today is their last day. I keep a bowl of dry food out all the time and also feed them wet food. I'm also very very bad about feeding my kitties table food. My one cat adores hot dogs. So she gets a chunk or two quite often. The other loves BBQ potato chips. We don't know, she's weird.
              Khara's Chaos

Comment

A cat liking BBQ chips isn't that unusual.... When I was in my teens, we had a cat named Sammie-Jo that LOVED not only BBQ chips, she also liked ketchup chips. Our sixteen year old cat Noelle LOVES the ultra spicy pepperoni and I swear she does a dance each time Hubby brings some home!! Noelle is such a garbage guts these days that she wants EVERYTHING we eat, even if I'm munching on carrot sticks and peanut butter. I admit it, we spoil our two kitties rotten!! :hahugh:
                "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

"If a book has my name on it, I wrote it. Every word of it." ~Nora Roberts.

Comment

Take her to the vet for a proper examination, bloodwork, and have her x-rayed concerning arthritis. It also is very important to examine and to x-ray her mouth. 80 per cent of all cats will develop FORL in their lives, feline odontoclastic resorption leasons. That means, that the roots of the teeth are slowly absorbed by the surrounding tissue. It is an extremely painful condition. The only way to diagnose it is by x-rays, the cure is to remove the teeth. It will be expensive, but then you've done what you can for her to keep her physically comfortable.
                  I've had some elder cats, some had chronic kidney-failure, another one had a slowly increasing heart-failure.It was very difficult for me to detect these conditions. A cat in chronic pain will show short spasms every 10 seconds starting in her neck... and will look somewhat absent-minded.... And her breathing will alter, more shallow, more often...
                  My senior-cat got two teeth removed due to FORL. After that, I ordered x-rays of the mouth of all my four cats, and even in Sweden I payed some thousand "Kroner". (Sweden is cheaper than Norway). But it was worth every "ّre". NO FORL at all. Now I can wait at least 3 years before the next "mouth-exam"!
                  My cats see the vet at least twice a year. For vaccination and removing tartar, which also is very important, especially for elder cats.
                  Concerning food, I use Royal Canine ( 10 kg last 9 weeks for four cats) and some canned food, containing only meat, no vegetables\cereals.
                  Concerning Coseqin for cats: My senior-cat, 13 years, takes it since one year. The x-rays just some weeks ago showed no sign of arthritis so far! I only can recommand it.
                  Finally: It is not so important to FEEL love for a cat, but to give her all the attention she lacked in her life.
                  Keep us informed about Pistol, her buddies and your new life with your new feline family.
                  Panta rhei

En erebos phos

Comment

well...the in-laws stopped by and let ALL of the cats out. Two came prancing back in and I saw Pistol at the door but she didn't want to come in. This is frustrating lol. I'm thinking about leaving out food and trapping her. Sounds mean but I'd feel better knowing shes safe. I'm putting up cat fencing in the backyard so if I do catch her, there is no chance she is getting out. We live around some mean dogs, mean people, three main streets, AND an interstate freeway.

Comment

Thanks for the warnings about Friskies :smileroll

My dogs are raw fed and I'm currently in the process of switching the other two cats that I do have.

Comment

Originally posted by MysticElement View Post
                        My dogs are raw fed and I'm currently in the process of switching the other two cats that I do have.
                        Oh, I'm glad you said that. I hate to make the raw suggestion when it will be this HUGE deal and start a big argument. My cats and my dog eat raw. They love it and I love that their poop doesn't smell. One cat was easy to switch and she was the older one (only about 4 at the time). The other cat was less than 1 and it took probably 6 months to get her on 100% raw. It was such a fight. But she NEEDED it. Her digestion was horrible- constant diarrhea no matter what we fed her until all raw.

Anyway, it you don't decide to switch the older cat, try Wellness or Royal Canine. Both excellent foods (they both have dry and wet I think).

Also, do the vet thing. you never know if something simple is lurking in this cat's body that can be fixed with an easy treatment and give many more years. I've seen some cats at 16 that don't look a day over 5 and others that appear to be on their last legs (like my childhood cat is right now ). So it's a ripe old age, but she could easily live for a few m ore years with the proper care. Good for you!

The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Comment

Working...
                        X