Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Being a Pagan but raising a Christian child?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter learned a prayer from a student at her school. She said it for a while before bed, and I would always kiss her and say goodnight.

Then I got a phone call from the principal. "Your daughter keeps talking to Zeus in the sky."
    "Yes?"
    "Well.... we can't get her to stop."
    "Is she disturbing class?"
    "No, it's at recess."
    "So what's the problem?"

Yes, that was an actual conversation. I had to take a book down to the school, sit with the staff, and explain to them that our household is multi-faith. That I am pagan, and that Bree likes to talk to Zeus. That is HER god, and she likes to vent towards him. When she has bad days, or moments, she sits down and starts jabbering away. It makes her feel better. The looks I got were funny, and yet sad. I frankly told them that if she had been talking to God as they knew him, they wouldn't be having this problem. So since it was obvious that they just didn't get the different theological background, they could accept it and call me with any questions.

They haven't bothered her about it since, and I haven't gotten any calls yet. Well, about that at any rate!
    Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

My son learned about the Rapture from a schoolmate. He in turn learned about Zeus.

It was an interesting conversation that had me slightly queasy.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
      instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
      which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

Tiberias: I'm still confused as to why you must raise your child AS a Christian, vs. teaching him or her ABOUT the religion. But you seem pretty pissed off (and inflexible) about all this, so I'm going to leave your posts alone from here out.

Comment

Originally posted by Benvarry View Post
          Tiberias: I'm still confused as to why you must raise your child AS a Christian, vs. teaching him or her ABOUT the religion. But you seem pretty pissed off (and inflexible) about all this, so I'm going to leave your posts alone from here out.
          Who said I'm raising my kid as a Christian? Attending services, reading the Bible, and visiting churches doesn't make you Christian any more than visiting Stonehenge and reading the Tain makes you a Druid.
          Last edited by Tiberias; February 1st, 2012, 02:14 PM.
          JFGI

Comment

*snorts*

Visiting Stonehenge does too make me a Druid!!
            "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
            instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
            which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

Working...
            X