Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kids with Pinocchio Sydrome (AKA, liars)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids with Pinocchio Sydrome (AKA, liars)

So my 6 year old is really developing a problem with lying.

Both kids (almost 8, just turned 6) are really good, usually. We've had random people compliment us on how well behaved they are (in crowded restaurants even), they do great at school, they help out with minimal complaining, they are polite, love to read, etc.

But for some reason, TC just won't stop lying. Sometimes it's a "I don't want to get in trouble" thing, which I understand and take pains to emphasize that if he tells me the truth, he won't get punished as harshly as if he lied to me. And I follow through. If he tells me the truth, for example, he just has to clean up the mess. Or gets a few extra chores. Or can't watch tv for the next day, etc.

But then it's little stuff. He will wipe his mouth on his sleeve and then say no from *behind the arm* when I ask if he did. He'll be walking in front of me and kick the wall and then say no. And just a few days ago, he shoved his foot in front of the stroller his 2 month old brother was in and almost toppled it. That time he did it because he wanted his older brother, who was pushing it, to stop so he could talk to him. I knew that immediately and while I would have talked to him, I wouldn't have punished him, just explained that it was a bad idea and why. But when I said "Why did you do that?" He said "I didn't! It was a rock!" (or something to that extent).

And I just am running out of ideas to address it and correct it. I don't know if it is he's just so afraid of getting in trouble, or disappointing people he loves when he messes up, or if he genuinely loses tracks of stuff, or what combination of those it is.
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Honestly, I think it's an age thing. I don't know why, but it seems to me to be a common occurrence around 5 and 6 year olds. I think you are doing a great job in dealing with the issue. You might also want to ask him why he chose to not tell the truth, you might find out more that way, some anxiety issues or odd fear might be prompting him to feel the need to lie. But I would just say keep going as you are, re-enforcing why it's better to be honest, that you love him and he will out grow it.
    You have the right to remain silent....Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Thank You Sennefer!

"To me, photography is an art of observation.
    It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place...
    I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them." ~ Elliot Erwitt

Once you have seen someones true colors,
    you can never paint over them. ~CLR~

Comment

You might also want to ask him why he chose to not tell the truth, you might find out more that way, some anxiety issues or odd fear might be prompting him to feel the need to lie.
      I do ask him that and he'll either freeze up, start crying, or he'll do both and then say "I don't know"! And sometimes he will say "I wasn't lying!" which puts us full circle lol.

Thanks for your words of comfort. I do think it's just an age thing, but I really don't want to let it slide and find out it wasn't.
      Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
      my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Comment

Working...
      X