Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty sleeping

not sure if this is in the right place so feel free to move if necessary

For a while now I've been having difficulties trying to fall asleep, or when I do manage to sleep I wake up repeatedly. Its not like I'm not tired as I can be completely exhausted and still not sleep. I've tried going to bed at different times and it doesn't make a difference as it still takes me hours to drop off.
    I was wondering if anyone on here can give me any advice or tips on how I can try and get some decent nights sleep? It's really getting to me now and being tired all the time has made me really grumpy so any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    sigpic

please click my eggs and baby dragons

I usually don't have sleep problems, but when I do, it's usually due to not having had enough protein during the day....my thoughts start to race and I can't get my mind to quiet....usually then sleep lightly hand have weird, scattered, disconnected dreams as well.

Realizing at bedtime that I didn't get enough and addressing the issue then doesn't work.

Eating before bed just results in slight queasiness as my body tries to digest food during sleep time, same racing thoughts and disquiet dreams, and getting up in the morning is like trying to press awake through sleep-sludge because my body got even less rest due to the food I just ate before bed.

What I eat or do earlier in the day has a huge impact on how my body and mind work at night.

Also, dehydration....that triggers migraine and overheating and thus light sleep, but it differs for different people. Me? I dehydrate easy. I do have to drink about a cup of water right before bed and then get up around midnight to use the bathroom (at which point I have to drink more water to stay hydrated). But I sleep much more deeply in between the bathroom wake ups and am thus much better rested in the morning than I would be having slept too lightly hand uncomfortable all night from not getting enough water.

No tea of any kind (caffeine or herbal) before bed. For me, doesn't matter what kind, it'll dehydrate me further in the long run. Your mileage may vary, as for some people that nice cup of chamomile tea is exactly what they need to get to sleep.

Just some thoughts about what works for me....

Good luck.

CCL

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it!"
    Arthur Dent Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Mass hysteria and mass complacency are flip sides of the same coin. Never panic, always think for yourself. Question all information, even from those individuals and sources you hold most cherished, for in those instances, complacency and hysteria alike become all too easy. All information either comes from humans or is filtered through the human mind (our own or another's) and thus subject to human faults no matter if it comes from a scientist or a messiah. Question it. And constantly question yourself.

Neither ravens nor wolves like to be gilt in silver.

Comment

my advice prolly isnt the best...
      but drink plently of beer.
      thats how i do it....

Comment

Well, if you really want to stay away from medication then there are some other things you can try.

-Don’t watch TV or even so much as look at a computer screen atleast 30 minutes before you lie down. The light from both a television as well as a computer monitor mimic the same intensity of light as sunlight. This fools your body and brain into thinking it’s nowhere near time for sleep. Also the content and activity of what you are doing may amp you up more than calm you down.

-Drink milk. Milk has an amino acid in it called Tryptophan that increase the levels of serotonin and/or melatonin in the brain which slow down brain activity. Yay science!

-Go to bed when you are tired. If you aren't, do something low-key unti you are, like reading or playing cards (not on computer).

-Resever the bed for things (sleep/sex). This will program the brain to sleep when it goes into the bed instead of getting confused and thinking about eating or studying or things that possibly trigger anxiety.

-Try meditating. I always found that doing some candle meditation before bed helped me greatly. Just turn the lights out, relax, maybe put meditative music on, and gaze into the flame. Do some deep breathing. Do this as long as you like, until you feel relaxed.

-Not the most popular option, but exercise during the day. Don't exercise at night as it will just amp you up and make it harder to wind down and get to sleep. Exercise during the day, however, can give you a solid night's sleep.

If things still aren't working out for you, you might want to look into taking melatonin. It's a natural sleep aid that you can get at any pharmacy. It's a chemical that's released in your brain when it is preparing to go to sleep, so therefore it gets you to sleep faster. I have serious sleep disorders and melatonin worked for me for quite a while when no prescription sleep aids would!

Good luck, and sweet dreams ^_^
        ~Wingéd Mermaid~

Comment

It seems to me that you need to find out why you are not sleeping well. There are so many reasons that affect sleep, such as air temperature, a comfortable mattress, good bedding, noise, or vice versa silence. You need to understand what spoils your sleep. I really like to sleep, so I usually find it difficult not to sleep. I usually start looking for a reason that keeps me from falling asleep. I used to have a mattress pushed through me, so it was difficult for me to find a comfortable sleeping position. I replaced it. Then I noticed that in the winter in my room it was warm, but very heavy air, stuffy. I decided to save money and install a split system for the house. I found a lot of tips about this on this source. If my thoughts prevent me from falling asleep, then I try to do meditation and focus on my breathing. I usually fall asleep in the third minute. Healthy and good sleep is very important for me, so I’m always looking for a way to improve it, and not spend the whole night watching the show.

Comment

I myself just discovered that I sleep much better when the humidity is higher. I've been staying in a hotel and had a humidifier in the room so three nights I spent there were so good. Actually, for the first time, I thought that it's just a co0incidence but when I stayed there the second time, it was the same, I had a good sleep for a few nights while staying there. Sadly, my own bedroom is quite big and humidifier that will handle it will cost much or I'd have to get a few. So now I am in search of an online store where I'd be able to get what I need for cheap and shipped to here. Sadly, so far, haven't found anything...

Comment

It could be that your body is missing a vitamin or mineral. You might explore a vitamin bible.

Magnesium is a natural tranquilizer. I take the Calcium, magnesium, zinc combo pill every night.

I tried Melatonin liquid and found it oily. I prefer the gummies.
              Another beautiful day in the state of denial.

Comment

Working...
              X