Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mickay
    replied
    The bedroom in the basement is an interesting idea. But you should think about additional heating in the winter and air in the summer. In the basement there is pretty poor ventilation, so you probably need air conditioning or a fan for a comfortable sleep. Personally, I don't really like air conditioners, they dry the air too much and lower the temperature too much if they aren't properly configured. In my childhood I had an old fan, recently my wife and I decided to buy a more modern model to our bedroom. I read more info about this on the portal . There are very good wall models. They are all silent or create white noise, which helps to fall asleep faster.

Leave a comment:

• SilverClaw
    replied
    Well it seems that she changed her mind so none of my plans came to be sooo I guess I will wait till after we move and get a better place and try again

Thank you for all your responses.

Leave a comment:

• mephistopheles
    replied
    Originally posted by SphinYote View Post
    I'm a bit luckier. The steam pipes run through my apartment first, so that I get heat before anyone else does. Even though I'm in the basement, its always nice and toasty in winter and cool in summer.
    Well, aren't you lucky. I only get heat if we haven't turned the oven on upstairs and heated it up up there >.<

Leave a comment:

• SphinYote
    replied
    Originally posted by mephistopheles View Post
    I'd say make sure she has extra blankets in the winter. I'm downstairs too, and even in a raised ranch with a fully finished basement, its easily 15 to 20 degrees colder down there in teh winter months.
    I'm a bit luckier. The steam pipes run through my apartment first, so that I get heat before anyone else does. Even though I'm in the basement, its always nice and toasty in winter and cool in summer.

Leave a comment:

• mephistopheles
    replied
    I'd say make sure she has extra blankets in the winter. I'm downstairs too, and even in a raised ranch with a fully finished basement, its easily 15 to 20 degrees colder down there in teh winter months.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowlands
    replied
    This is an awesome idea. When I was growing up I had a finished room in the basement that was pretty much my little nest of crazy. I loved it. I still miss it.

Leave a comment:

• Know Your Rights
    replied
    My only suggestions pertain to the locations of the room...
    I know that if I were the one with a basement room, I would like to A) have at least one window in the room, and B) want to be as far away from the stairs as possible, to allow for maximum privacy.

Leave a comment:

• materra
    replied
    You can buy plug in or portable C0 2 detectors now. So if you get one for now you can take it with you. Warm hugs.

Leave a comment:

• SphinYote
    replied
    My cat generally gets to the spiders and eats them before I get to them to catch them in a jar and let them go outside.

Actually, during the winter, I usually just turned them loose in the other half of the basement, at the far end from the laundry, as I knew they'd just die if I put them outside. Half the time if they are behind the furniture and out of the way, I jst let the spiders be....the uber-giant daddy longlegs that insisted on settling upon my hair every couple of days (regardless of where I was in the apartment) rather than anywhere else, however, eventually had to be exiled to the other half of the basement...they're harmless, but he was just too friendly....

Now spring is coming and the centipedes are returning through the bathtub drain....must remember to check bathtub before getting in without glasses....

Insect life is generally harmless, though. So I hope that if there are bug encounters she'll know to catch them and let them go rather than kill them...When I was in my attic room I encouraged the spiders to live up there because they kept the wasp population down.

Leave a comment:

• banondraig
    replied
    Originally posted by Myzterio View Post
    You know, I just get spiders, I think... I have boots, and a cat. :D
    So long as the spiders are not in the boots you'll be OK.

Leave a comment:

• Evinmeer
    replied
    I know summer is coming up, but for future ref, you might want to look into a little space heater for the colder months after. Basements can get pretty cold. Also, if there is a window in the basement you might think about getting a little fan to help draw in some fresh air for her. So long as the climate isn't terribly humid, that will probably also help manage the mold population. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• SphinYote
    replied
    Originally posted by Tanya View Post
    and we had some issues with mold.. dehumidifiers help.
    Was going to suggest this,too. Definitely get a dehumidifier. My current apartment is a basement apartment, and in summer its about the most critical item I have. Even a little bit of damp can damage things a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Tanya
    replied
    think too about radon in basements.

my first apt was in a basement.. and we had some issues with mold.. dehumidifiers help.

Leave a comment:

• SilverClaw
    replied
    centipedes? Do you have any idea if they have pincher's on them ?

smoke detector and a co2 detector
    Smoke detectors we have two and the Co2 detector I will talk to the landlord about. I hate those things ( due to a stupid malfunction ) but I know they are necessary...

Leave a comment:

• Glowy
    replied
    I think it is a great idea!! I love the dolphin theme too. I have nasty centipedes in my basement and spiders too!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X