Tips for installing a privacy fence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for installing a privacy fence?

Hi guys. Anyone ever done this? I know how to do it (conceptually, that is; I've read up on it) but have never done it, and it's at the top of a long list of home improvements I've assigned myself beginning next summer. Thoughts, tips, tricks, pitfalls to avoid? Thanks!

Not sure about the technical aspects of it myself, but I will say to check and see if you need to have a permit. It's insane, but a lot of areas will make you get a permit to do /anything/ that hints at construction of your property. My parents in PA had to get a permit for their fence and again when they put in a pool.
    "The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Comment

When my husband put our fence up, he went to a lumber yard and they had a program that figured out exactly how much lumber, concrete and nails he needed. They also let you use a nailgun if you bought the nails from them. There was no waste. Good luck with your project.

Comment

What exactly do you need info on? I have a lot of reference books and I have done some fence work myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ravenwood92
          What exactly do you need info on? I have a lot of reference books and I have done some fence work myself.
          Well that's sort of the problem; having never put up a fence, I'm not sure what to ask. I know I have to mix cement for the fence posts, plot the distance, nail base boards to the fence posts and then affix the panels to them. That's about it. I lack the experience to know what I should plan for beforehand. What kind of nails should I use? How deep should I dig the holes if I want a 6' fence? How much cement will I need? Stuff like that.

I will hit the lumberyards in and around town. There are a couple of hardware stores so I'll be sure to compare prices.

I appreciate the input. Keep it coming, please!

Comment

You will want to dig the holes below the frost line. You can call your local building inspector or codes department for the exact depth. Use pressure treated 4"x4" posts. There are many ways to attach the runners but I have found that using joist hangers or some hardware stores actually carry runner hangers. I would use galvinized screws myself. They don't pull out as easy as the boards shrink and expand.

If you need anything else just shout!!

Comment

Originally posted by ravenwood92
              If you need anything else just shout!!
              I'm adding you to my buddy list!

Comment

Do you live in town or in the country? If in town you may need to let your neighbors know what you are doing because they might feel it would obstruct their view. I know it's your property but I have heard of disputes over this.
                Banner by WynnJera
                Wherever you go there you are

Comment

Hmm, good point. It is in a residential area, and a corner lot to boot. I'l have to check local ordinances. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Feel free

Originally posted by Booleanicus
                    I'm adding you to my buddy list!
                    I am all over the home improvement stuff so if you need anything just ask. If I don't know I will find out for you.

Good luck on the project

Comment

I was arguing against it when my hubby did it....but concrete isn't really necessary. And makes it a much easier job. We just went through two hurricanes, and the part that was knocked down was because the 4x4s actually broke, not taken out at the dirt. Digging the hole, and soaking it afterwords with the hose makes it surprising strong.

Also, the corner lot means you may need to have a shorter fence, not 6 ft at that side. stinks, but that is how our neighborhood is.
                      We must discover new frontiers... People have been standing for centuries before a worm-eaten door, making pinholes in it with increasing ease. The time has come to kick it down, for it is only on the other side that everything begins. Raoul Vaneigem

Comment

Working...
                      X