Somewhat odd question, but possibly important: Women only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat odd question, but possibly important: Women only

OK, what feminine hygene product do you reccomend for your emergency pack? Pads, tampons, other?

Tampons take the least amount of space and are relatively easier to dispose of, however in an emergency situation personal hygene isn't going to be a top priority, you are not likely to have access to places where you can have a wash, and privacy is an issue. Therefore, it seems like between less access to a place to wash, and the fact that you might be disinclined to change as frequently due to lack of privacy, the risk for Toxic Shock Syndrome goes up significantly (and consider that you are unlikely to have access to medical care if you should happen to start having symptoms of Toxic Shock).

Pads take up significantly more room that could potentially be used for other necessary supples. However, they do not have the problems cited above (or at least not to the same degree--it is still somewhat possible though much rarer to get TSS from pads). Additionally, there have been instances where people have used clean pads in emergancy situations to staunch blood flow from injuries, therefore they do have an additional first-aid benefit.

So, which would you suggest? Or something else all together?

Remember if you typically use cloth pads that you wash yourself, you are not going to have access to clean H2O to wash those pads, not unless you want to sacrifice your drinking water. How dirty does the water have to be before you don't want to even use it for personal hygiene, let alone drinking water? I don't know about you, but I'd be afraid of getting an infection from washing with contaminated water.

Yes, wierd question, but I think its worth bringing up, as it can have life altering or even deadly consequences.

Yote

Hopefully we would have stockpiled enough bleach to disenfect the water necessary for washing a few cloth pads once a month.

Comment

"Pads take up significantly more room that could potentially be used for other necessary supples. However, they do not have the problems cited above (or at least not to the same degree--it is still somewhat possible though much rarer to get TSS from pads). Additionally, there have been instances where people have used clean pads in emergancy situations to staunch blood flow from injuries, therefore they do have an additional first-aid benefit."

Plus, did you know you can soak them in water, squeeze out the excess, and freeze them to make ice packs for injury? Ok, that was off topic..lol..

I think its best to pack both, plus a few cloth ones. All things considered, they are small, multipurpose, and fairly cheap.
      "We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers--you can blame anyone, but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. But it's ALWAYS your fault, because if you wanted to change, you're the one who has got to change. It's as simple as that, isn't it?"
      -- Katharine Hepburn

Comment

*laughs* myself? I'd be bringing clean cloths...
        and I'll probably get some 'ewww Oh My GOD grosses' from this comment, but why waste water to clean them when your own urine is sterile? you could use very little water afterwards to get rid of any unpleasant smell.

I agree that such clothes could be used for other things too, bandages, fire starter (cotton fluff makes a wonderful tinder), ties to hold bundles and shelters together....

*smirk*

But that said, in an emergency type situation I'd be heading to the woods anyways.....

Comment

I use cotton clothes that I've made myself anyway, so I'd simply stock those. LOTS of those. And as TWM said, our urine is actually sterile, so washing them with that works.
          ~*~
          There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
          Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

~*~
          I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

Comment

Well, pads DO make a wonderful first aid assistant. As do cotton balls, bleach and water purifier tablets by the boatload. There is also a post on here about making your own water purifier.
            Pads can also be scrunched up pretty tightly and even placed in your good old fashioned seal-a-meal bags and squashed. I found one in my Mom's house, why not use it for such things?

Comment

Also you can place much needed other supplies in those. Like one big box at a time matches.

Comment

Moss, milkweed seed pod fluff, etc.

As for water and washing reusable cloth pads, just wash them in water and sun bake if its hot outside. Sun baking will kill germs.

Winter, heck use moss. You can find it in the woods under the snow.
                :boing:

Comment

Lots of good suggestions. Thanks.

Originally posted by Shanti View Post
                  Moss, milkweed seed pod fluff, etc.

As for water and washing reusable cloth pads, just wash them in water and sun bake if its hot outside. Sun baking will kill germs.

Winter, heck use moss. You can find it in the woods under the snow.
                  Sun is good. Thanks.

Moss? Probably for most people, fine. Me, mold allergy--very itchy. Not a region where I'd want to get a rash...

Another consideration, if there are predatory animals around, probably wise to dispose of anything that smells of blood far far from where you're actually set up--including the water you use to wash with....wise under any circumstances in terms of basic sanitation, but especially so when other animals competing for food are an issue...

Comment

Originally posted by SphinYote View Post
                    Another consideration, if there are predatory animals around, probably wise to dispose of anything that smells of blood far far from where you're actually set up--including the water you use to wash with....wise under any circumstances in terms of basic sanitation, but especially so when other animals competing for food are an issue...
                    Very true, and of course in a long term survival situation most of us would probably not have our usual MP (maybe just a couple days), or have it stop altogether for a time as the body tries to protect itself.

Comment

Shanti's suggestion is perfect, and in the emergancy you seem to be preparing for I sure hope people get over their Germ a phobia. I would use rags and stuff from nature, I would wash them in whatever, pee even.

In truth I am more scared of bleach and germ killers then I am of germs.

sigpic"
                      The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood its ground."- Unknown

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.
                      Gerry Spence

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by SphinYote View Post
                        Lots of good suggestions. Thanks.

Sun is good. Thanks.

Moss? Probably for most people, fine. Me, mold allergy--very itchy. Not a region where I'd want to get a rash...

Just curious, what does mold have to do with moss? Moss is just a plant.

As for the predator, kill it, eat it!
                        Now you wont go hungry.
                        :boing:

Comment

Some native American tribes used cattails as the stuffing for pads and early 'diapers' for their babies. Inside the brown pod is a lot of cotton-like fluff, which is absorbant, that one could wrap in cloth to make a pad for you or for inside babies nappie, if you really needed to.
                          "We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers--you can blame anyone, but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. But it's ALWAYS your fault, because if you wanted to change, you're the one who has got to change. It's as simple as that, isn't it?"
                          -- Katharine Hepburn

Comment

Yeah, I'm kind of the same way you are to a degree. What complicates factors and makes me more germ a phobic than I really care to admit to is that I have a heart condition--MVP, which means if I get any kind of infection that has the potential for turning into a blood infection it would be rather bad. I am supposed to be on antibiotics every time I have dental work done as a preventative measure--which I don't fully understand, since its not like I need antibiotics to brush my teeth and floss (which usually causes my gms to bleed a bit, but they can refuse treatment if I refuse to take the antibiotics, so I'm stuck)

But there's also the presence of chemicals in the water, if a disaster ever hit that was widespread enough to cause such havoc that it would take more than a few weeks to get things in place and working as we're accustomed to, you can bet its going to be bad enough that all of the supplies of running water are going to be contaminated even worse than they already are with industrial (and around here nuclear) runoff. I'm more worried about that than the biological contaminants, to be quite honest....

But I have severe mold allergies--break out in hives with leaf mold (took the un out of playing in autumn leaves when I was a kid, let me tell you), and the mold is on cedar chips, basically any plant material that isn't green anymore....which for me shoots the idea of using anything natural out of the water. I mean, raked leaves fresh off the tree don't have much time to grow mold, and they have their share of sunlight, but I still react to them...

Funny thing is, to this day, so far I still don't react at all to poison ivy or poison oak (or any kind of pollen generating flowers--no seasonal natural allergies except the mold. Lawn chemicals by contrast...Stupid golfball sized excruciating cysts...).

Oh well. I need to look into washable pads--are there any threads on either how to make or where to purchase them?

Yote

Comment

Originally posted by Shanti View Post
                              Just curious, what does mold have to do with moss? Moss is just a plant.

As for the predator, kill it, eat it!
                              Now you wont go hungry.
                              Ah, you posted before I finished typing my other post.

The mold seems to grow on everything, or its spores end up there (note--I will confess, it is an assumption that it's mold, first by my parents, and one that I tend to reiterate, never been officially tested). But, suffice it to say, whenever I played in fall leaves as a kid, or went out and played in the long grass, anywhere typically dank especially, but sometimes dry, I would get a rash all over.... It seems to be mostly in crispy dead plant matter, but also again in damp places (interestingly, though, it WAS always localized to my torso and upper thighs--walking through this stuff never bothered me, just rolling in it). I'm afraid moss, once it's dry enough to be useful for is absorbancy might have the same problem.

Suppose I could do a skin test elsewhere on my body and find out though, should the need ever arise....

Hmm, that last part of your post has me envisioning using used tampons or pads as fishing bait....

Yote
                              Last edited by SphinYote; September 5th, 2007, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X