This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe Thread: Appetizers and Dips

After Desserts, I think the next best food to eat is appetizers and dips. :D

Post here some of your favorite appetizer recipes.

My Blog: The Musings of Faery-Wings

Mary's Roasted Red Pepper Dip
    Submitted by: Doreen
    Rated: 5 out of 5 by 125 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 20 Minutes Ready In: 30 Minutes
    Yields: 32 servings
    "This is a HUGE hit at all of my parties!!! With kids, as well as adults...and it is very easy to make!!! Serve this flavorful dip with tortilla chips. Roasted red peppers and two kinds of cheese create the perfect combination. Adjust the amounts of onion and garlic to taste."
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red
    peppers, drained and diced
    3/4 pound shredded Monterey
    Jack cheese
    1 (8 ounce) package cream
    cheese, softened

1 cup mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon minced onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons prepared Dijon-
    style mustard
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. In a small baking dish, mix the roasted red peppers, Monterey Jack cheese, cream cheese, mayonnaise, onion, garlic and Dijon-style mustard.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven 20 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned. Serve warm.

Comment

Fried Shallot & Garlic Dip

vegetable oil for frying
      3/4 C thinly sliced shallots
      2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
      1 1/4 to 1 1/2 C sour cream or creme fraiche
      1 1/2 Tbl. minced fresh parsley
      1 Tbl. thin sliced fresh chives

In a skillet, heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil till hot and fry shallot and garlic till pale golden. Drain well and crumble fine. In bowl, whisk 1 1/4 C sour cream, parsley, chives and shallot & garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper. You can add the remainder 1/4 C sour cream to lighten up more and thin the oniony flavor if you wish.
      "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
      Run free and catch the rabbits
      4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Hummus with Herbs and Spices

2 C cooked chickpeas (garbanzos), homemade or canned with 1/4 C liquid reserved
        1/2 C tahini (sesame seed paste)
        1/4 C lemon juice
        1/3 C chopped scallions, green and white parts
        1/2 C chopped fresh parsley
        1 tsp. ground cumin

Combine the chickpeas, 1/4 reserved liquid, tahini, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Process completely smooth. It should have the consistency of smooth mased potatoes.

Add the scallions and parsley. Pulse on and off a few times until just combined. Add the cumin and stir. Add additional chickpea liquid, if you want a thinner mixture. Serve at room temp with pita bread and/or vegetables.

Yields 2 1/2 Cups.
        Last edited by WitchJezebel; January 9th, 2006, 03:38 PM.

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
        4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

I would love to make my own hummus but haven't been able to find tahini around here.

Comment

Mmmm,,, hummus... *Homer Drool*

I make mine with one can of chick peas. Put that in blender with about 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp tahini, a splash of lemon juice and some roasted red pepper (from a jar, drained well). Blend that well, adding some of the reserved canned juice if it gets too thick.

Comment

Lunacie, there arean't any Asian/Gourmet type stores by you? Not anything like that here either, but I was able to find it in my Shop Rite. You could always see if they can special order some for you.

Comment

Acoording to http://www.thatsmyhome.com/recipes/s...tion-chart.htm

TAHINI: Use equal amount peanut butter. .

Maybe mix some pb with sesame oil?

ETA:
                Tahini (Sesame Seed Paste)
                Email This Recipe
                Print Recipe

Contributed by Eileen Goltz

Ingredients

2 tablespoons sesame seeds
                1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
                1/4 teaspoon salt
                1/4 cup tepid water

Instructions

Blend sesame seeds in a blender and grind until smooth. Add sesame oil, salt, and then slowly add 1/4 cup of water while blending. Blend until completely smooth.

Note: Sesame seeds turn rancid quickly, so make certain yours are fresh. Be sure to store them away from light and heat and use quickly.

Serving Size

Makes 1/2 cup

Notes

Yes you can easily purchase Tahini already prepared but it's soooo much tastier when it’s fresh that you may never want to serve the store bought again.
                Last edited by Faery-Wings; November 28th, 2005, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Faery-Wings
                  Lunacie, there arean't any Asian/Gourmet type stores by you? Not anything like that here either, but I was able to find it in my Shop Rite. You could always see if they can special order some for you.
                  Shop Rite eh?? That's where I shop! I've found it there when I needed it.

R.I.P. MiLo
                  4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Originally posted by WitchJezebel
                    Shop Rite eh?? That's where I shop! I've found it there when I needed it.
                    There are no Shop Rites in Kansas.

Comment

Salsa is a dip!

Green Salsa

1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
                      1 jalapeno, stemmed and seeded to taste
                      1 roasted poblano or hatch, skinned
                      1/2 roasted green bell pepper, skinned
                      1 small Spanish onion, finely diced
                      3 cloves garlic
                      1 tbsp kosher salt
                      1 tsp toasted cumin seed
                      1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
                      1 lime, juiced
                      extra-virgin olive oil

1) Char roasted peppers. - peel bell pepper, keep poblano char if you like that sort of thing
                      2) Toast cumin seed for 30 seconds in medium heat olive oil - add onion and sautee until soft.
                      3) Bring a pot of water to a boil and add whole washed and stemmed tomatillos, jalapeno, garlic, and salt. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 5 to 10 minutes until the tomatillos are soft but have not but have not burst.
                      4) Add cooked and charred vegetables to a blender with the cumin, onion, and lime juice. Add reserved cooking liquid (appr 1/4 cup) and blend. Add fresh cilantro and blend to desired coarseness.
                      5) Salt to taste.

Comment

Baked Brie
                        wrap a wheel of Brie cheese in puff pastry.
                        bakeit in a preheated oven at 325 until puff pastry is browned
                        pull it out, break open pastry to nice melted chees and have with veggies, apple slices, crackers, etc.

For a quick "don't have any puff pastry" moment.......wrap Brie in aluminum foil. Bake til melted and enjoy(about 20 minuted).

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnWitchie
                          Baked Brie
                          wrap a wheel of Brie cheese in puff pastry.
                          bakeit in a preheated oven at 325 until puff pastry is browned
                          pull it out, break open pastry to nice melted chees and have with veggies, apple slices, crackers, etc.

For a quick "don't have any puff pastry" moment.......wrap Brie in aluminum foil. Bake til melted and enjoy(about 20 minuted).
                          or a really easy substiture for puff pastry is Pillsbury cresecnt rolls. Unroll the dough, press lightly at the seams, wrap brie. Brush with egg wash if desired. Bake and enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Lunacie
                            There are no Shop Rites in Kansas.
                            Bummer, they have great sales.

If you can't find tahini anywhere in stores or online, let me know, maybe I can ship you some.

R.I.P. MiLo
                            4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Baked Shrimp Toasts

(Makes 32 hors d'oeuvres)

4 tsp minced garlic
                              1 Tbl minced peeled fresh ginger
                              1 Tbl vegetable oil
                              1 Tbl mirin
                              2 tsp soy sauce
                              1/2 tsp salt
                              3/4 lb medium shrimp in shell (31 - 35 per lb), peeled, deveined, and cut into
                              1/2 inch pieces
                              3 Tbl chopped fresh cilantro
                              1 (9 by 4 inch) white Pullman loaf, unsliced

Cook garlic and ginger in oil in an 8 - 9 inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add mirin, soy sauce, and salt and simmer, stirring, 15 seconds. Transfer marinade to bowl and cool to room temp.

Add shrimp and cilantro, tossing to coat well, and marinate covered and chilled, 1 hour.

Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 350 deg.

Turn bread loaf on its side and evenly cut crust from bottom of loaf using a long serrated knife, discarding crust, then cut a 3/8 inch thick slice from botton amd trim crust from sides of slice. Put slice on a baking sheet (reserve rest of loaf for another use) and bake, turning over once, until dry by not colored, 8 minutes total. Immediately increase oven temp to 475 deg.

Spread top of hot toast with all the shrimp mixture, packing to down to thick even layer and covering surface entirely. Make sure oven temp has hit 475, then bake shrimp toast until topping is cooked through, 12 - 15 minutes. Transfer with a large flat spatula to a rack to cool 5 minutes, then transfer to cutting board.

Halve shrimp toast crosswise with a very sharp knife, then cut each half lengthwise into fourths, making 8 strips total. Cut each strip into 4 pieces. Serve toasts warm or at room temperature (they're better hot).

R.I.P. MiLo
                              4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Working...
                              X