Fenugreek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenugreek

I bought some Fenugreek today. It smelled really tasty, but when I tasted it it was bitter. Very ick.
    I was curious does anyone here use it in their cooking? I know it's a popular spice of Eastern and Indian foods. I'm looking up it's uses, but just wanted to know what people here thought :hahugh:
    Last edited by Agaliha; October 1st, 2006, 09:09 PM.

It's one of the staples of Indian cooking, both the powdered and the leaf types, gives it that genuine "curry" smell. I probably use the leaf more often, I put a dsp in the sauce for koftas.

Mouth watering now...

Ffred
    Ticfa Tلlcenn
    Tar muir mercenn
    a thrي thollcenn,
    a chrann crombcenn.

Canfaid mيchrلbud
    a méis ي n-airthuir a thige;
    fris-gérat a muinter uile:
    Amén, Amén.

Comment

It's delish. Just fry it with mustard seeds and cumin when making a spiced dish. Surprisingly it doesn't stay bitter when it's cooked. Jamie Oliver has an amazing chicken curry dish which uses it. I'll try and dig it up for you.
      Come visit my Blog

Comment

Jamie Olive curry recipe

This is my favourite curry. I love Jamie's recipes because you can leave out what you don't have and they still taste great. Feel free to play about and substitute different ingredients. The curry is great made ahead of time as the flavours improve.

Can be used with fish (2lbs), chicken (4 breasts or thighs) or mixed veggies (whatever you have to handotatoes, courgettes, peppers, onions, spinach, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, beans, lentils etc.)

Serves 4 people

5 tbsp veg oil
        2 tsp mustard seeds
        1 tsp FENUGREEK
        2 fresh green chillies, deseeded & sliced
        handful curry leaves
        2 thumb-sized bits of ginger, grated
        3 onions, chopped
        1 tsp chilli powder or to taste
        1 tsp turmeric
        6 tomatoes, chopped (I just use a few from a tin)
        14 fl oz/400ml tin of coconut milk
        salt to taste

1. Heat the oil. When hot add the mustard seeds; wait for them to pop then add the fenugreek seeds, chillies, curry leaves and ginger. Stir and fry for a few mins
        2. In a food processor (or chop finely by hand) chop the onions and add to the pan. Cook for 5 mins until the onions are light brown and soft.
        3. Add the chilli powder and turmeric. Stir then toss in the tomatoes.
        4. Cook for a few minutes and then add a cup or two of water and the coconut milk. Simmer for 5 mins and then season with salt. The curry should be the consistency of double/heavy cream.

Use the sauce as the base. Stir fry the chicken before adding. The fish can be added raw and then simmer for 10 mins. Just chuck in the veggies.

Simmer everything until tender. Optional: sprinkle on some coriander/cilantro before serving.

Delicious with rice or naan bread.

hope you enjoy this recipe!!!!
        Come visit my Blog

Comment

Working...
        X