Would you eat it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you eat it?

I left a big pot of split pea and ham soup out over night. I would hate to throw the whole pot away (especially since I love it!). It had already cooked ham steak cut up and thrown in. Oh and th house was about 65 degrees. What would you do?

Oh honey - no you can't eat that. Bacteria growth begins within 2 - 4 hours and 65 deg is a prime incubation temperature. Toss it.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

yeeeeah.
      I wouldn't try it...
      *cringes*
      Food poisoning for New Years anyone??

Comment

I agree with WJ - I wouldn't touch the stuff with a stick - especially when it's been sitting out all night.

Comment

I won't even eat food after it's been left out for more than 2 hours, hot or cold. Food is supposed to go into the refrigerator while it's still hot in order to minimize bacteria growth.
          Our Rules|Copyright Policy |FAQ

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
          It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
          And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
          Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
          We are not now that strength which in old days
          Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
          One equal temper of heroic hearts,
          Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
          To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

~From Ulysses, by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Comment

Originally posted by Athena-Nadine View Post
            I won't even eat food after it's been left out for more than 2 hours, hot or cold. Food is supposed to go into the refrigerator while it's still hot in order to minimize bacteria growth.
            Sorry Girl, but that's incorrect. Putting hot food into the fridge lowers the temp of the fridge and slows down cooling. Residual heat actually encourages bacteria growth. To cool foods down quickly, fill a bowl or your sink with ice and water and put the container of food in without the lid on. Stir occasionally until food is room temp. to cool and then put it in the fridge with the lid on. Sounds like alot of work for nothing but it's definitely better than putting hot food in the fridge/freezer.

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
            4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Originally posted by WitchJezebel View Post
              Sorry Girl, but that's incorrect. Putting hot food into the fridge lowers the temp of the fridge and slows down cooling. Residual heat actually encourages bacteria growth. To cool foods down quickly, fill a bowl or your sink with ice and water and put the container of food in without the lid on. Stir occasionally until food is room temp. to cool and then put it in the fridge with the lid on. Sounds like alot of work for nothing but it's definitely better than putting hot food in the fridge/freezer.
              Ooh, thanks! See, learn something new every day!

Comment

Originally posted by Athena-Nadine View Post
                Ooh, thanks! See, learn something new every day!
                Hey, anytime. I knew some day my food psychosis would do someone some good!

R.I.P. MiLo
                4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Umm I'd eat it, but i have like a constitution score of 18....
                  Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

Adam and Meagan sitting in a tree K I S S I N G

Founder of the Soli-Tarty movement - Pagan tarts unite (in my bedroom)

Comment

Toss it!! Not fit for consumption anymore!
                    :boing:

Comment

Pssh, dump some cholula on it and stick in the microwave. You'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by WitchJezebel View Post
                        Hey, anytime. I knew some day my food psychosis would do someone some good!
                        I think I took being taught that it's not really good to let food sit out to cool and translated that to "put it in the refrigerator before it can."

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm View Post
                          Pssh, dump some cholula on it and stick in the microwave. You'll be fine.
                          Sure... as long as it isn't botulism which can't be killed by heat or acid.

Dude, throw it away!

R.I.P. MiLo
                          4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Sure... as long as it isn't botulism which can't be killed by heat or acid.

Dude, throw it away!
                            botulism schmotulism...Its worth the risk for some soup, I'd say. :hehehehe:

Comment

Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold

Sorry, get rid of it, it's too damn old.
                              “During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.” -- George Orwell

In The Art of Discworld, Pratchett says, "I've always suspected that Nanny is, deep down, the most powerful of the witches and part of her charm lies in the way she prevents people from finding this out."

I solemnly vow to give the current president all the respect that was given to the last president.
                              Cheerfully providing the loyal opposition

"....a powerful sorceress must be cautious about aligning herself with, and transferring power to, unworthy men

I've been ghosted by ~Elise~

www.fisherhouseboston.org

Comment

Working...
                              X