Best Way To Preserve A Cut Onion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Way To Preserve A Cut Onion?

If you have an onion and you only need a little at a time, what is the best way to use and preserve it so it lasts as long as possible and you avoid wasting any of it?
    OFFICIALLY PROTECTED BY THE OSC!
    REST WITH THE ANGELS
    Laura Jane Yelsits Faedi
    5/12/62 ~ 4/9/10
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha
    The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls.
    -E.C.Stanton

Always be honest.
    Make me laugh.
    Respect boundaries.
    Take me as I am.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
    Be thoughtful and make me feel special.
    -ME

I usually just throw the remaining onion into a ziploc baggie and put it in the fridge...

Comment

long term, freeze it. For anytime use, dehydrate it!
      :boing:

Comment

I put it in a zip lock and when i want to use it, I cut off the ends so i only use the freshest part

Comment

I've always stuck it in a baggie. I wish it would last longer. But hey, I finally learned how to get celery to last since I only use a little at a time. Wash the celery and let it drain, then wrap it in aluminum foil and put it in the crisper drawer of the fridge. I can have celery in my tuna salad for a month easy now without the stalks getting all wilted or brown.

Comment

Plastic!

It has to be good for something, and wrapping things like onions (and other veg) is one of them.

It's certainly what I use and it'll keep it ok while I cut a slice at a time for my sandwich.

gwyn eich byd

Ffred
            Ticfa Tلlcenn
            Tar muir mercenn
            a thrي thollcenn,
            a chrann crombcenn.

Canfaid mيchrلbud
            a méis ي n-airthuir a thige;
            fris-gérat a muinter uile:
            Amén, Amén.

Comment

I generally wrap the onion in plastic wrap and then put it in either a baggie or a tupperware. Keeps the ends from drying out, and they keep for quite awhile that way.

the advantage to a baggie is that if you look in and your onion is... er... past its prime, you can just pitch the whole thing.

Comment

I also just toss mine in a sandwich size ziploc bag, with all the air pushed out of it.

Comment

LOL...

And here I was, getting ready to give advice on how to "preserve" a CUT!

I was wondering what someone meant by "preserving" it, I was thinking of a cut wound or something of the like.

I was about to mention some plants, and their leaves and roots, such as Witch Hazel, which is quite acidic, and has astringent qualities.

Also pure mud, from a clay bog, without any impurities helps as well, as does garlic, which is a natural antiseptic, and antibiotic.

Well, back to crawl into my hole now...

Comment

I have not tried it for onions (I use the too fast) but I heard putting a dime or other silver coin in the bag helps.

For celery and lettuce .... cut a little of the cut end off and moisten a folded up paper towel and place it on the cut end before re-wrapping it.
                    We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
                    (\_/) (\_/)
                    (O.o) ( _ )
                    (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
                    Green Room Forum Guide
                    The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(")

Comment

I use shallots if I don't need much onion; they are smaller and therefore you don't need to preserve anything!
                      Come visit my Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X