Storing Fruits & Vegetables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Fruits & Vegetables?

Does anyone have a complete comprehensive list of the best way to store fruits and vegetables? I live alone, but shopping in bulk is more cost effective. How do I make everything last?
    OFFICIALLY PROTECTED BY THE OSC!
    REST WITH THE ANGELS
    Laura Jane Yelsits Faedi
    5/12/62 ~ 4/9/10
    "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha
    The moment we begin to fear the opinions of others and hesitate to tell the truth that is in us, and from motives of policy are silent when we should speak, the divine floods of light and life no longer flow into our souls.
    -E.C.Stanton

Always be honest.
    Make me laugh.
    Respect boundaries.
    Take me as I am.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say.
    Be thoughtful and make me feel special.
    -ME

Can it, freeze it, dry it!
    Freezing and dehydrating are the two I use. Canning is too time consuming for me.
    :boing:

Comment

Here are a few places that might help.

http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/FVstorage.pdf

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...326/eb1326.pdf

If someone could find more.... great!

I have a vacuum sealer I use for cheese and some other things that dose help keep things longer. However you have to balance your savings with the cost of the bags your using.
      We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
      (\_/) (\_/)
      (O.o) ( _ )
      (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
      Green Room Forum Guide
      The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

Comment

Wrap celery in foil in the fridge. It makes it last muchhhhhhhhhhh longer.

Lemons and limes last better out of the fridge.
        Come visit my Blog

Comment

Contray to what most people believe the fridge actually dehydrates food which explains why your carrots get wrinkly and floppy if you leave them in the vegetable drawer for a few months... For root vegetables (potatoes, turnips, carrots etc) a cold room, cellar, or root cellar is ideal over the winter. But if that's not possible shove the potatoes in a cupboard away from the stove and put your other veggies well-sealed in the vegetable drawer of the fridge. If they start to dry out after a month and you aren't going to use them - then pre cook the veggies (but still a little crisp) then freeze until use.

For more delicate veggies (broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, green beans etc) you can blanch(pre-cook) them until just cooked, but still crisp and then put them in a plastic bag with the air removed and chuck them in the freezer until use. Fruits can be frozen fresh, so if you go to a u-pick or buy a flat of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries etc you can just wash them, dry them off a bit, divide them into baggies and toss them in the freezer. For larger fruits like peaches, apricots, tomatoes etc - canning is a great option. You can find lots of books on canning at used bookstores - minus the fancy tools it mostly involves a large pot, some jars with lids and an old dish rag... If you get into canning you can make your own jams, tomato sauces, pickled veggies...

Here's an overview on preserving veggies I typed up a long time ago: Preserving the Harvest

Blessings!
          Lolair

Comment

Working...
          X