Too lazy to cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too lazy to cook

In another thread we were talking about money. Well, the subject came up that sometimes a person sends out for pizza because the just don't feel up to cooking.

So, I think we need ideas that are less trouble than calling for a pizza and answering the door since sometimes even that seems like more than we want to do.

Tell us your five minutes or less preparation times recipes.

Lets assume you popped the meat in the Forman grill, it can be anything from a chicken breast, pork chop, breaded meat patty, frozen hamburger. So, we won't count the time for the meat.

Now, what? Your five minutes preparation time is running. Make diner!

(It must cost less than a pizza and a tip!)

My suggestion....

Open one can Veg-All® Homestyle Large Cut Vegetables and one can cheap spaghetti sauce. Pour inot a big pan add water to taste and start to heat for a fast home made type vegetable soup. (2 minutes) Make a double batch of corn bread mix (just add egg and water and pour into a greased baking pan.. 2 minutes) and bake it. Throw some grated cheese and croutons on pre-cut salad mixture (one minute). Done in five minutes!

This will feed an army and the soup really tastes like you worked all day on it.
    Last edited by SSanf; April 8th, 2007, 01:07 AM.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sometimes I think "right-to-lifers" only value life if it agrees with them. A fetus can't talk, therefore... it can't offend you with its belief system or looks. It can't tell you it will never go to your church, believe in your god, or exist in your socio-economic class.

A potential child is adorable until it actually exists. Then it's just another object of your scorn. Another despicable product of a broken home, unwed mother, or family that's so large it can't take care of itself.
    EgwayneR

"I consider myself a Kentuckian first, and an American second. My ethnic background, religion, and politics are secondary to the fact that I am a Louisvillian and a Kentuckian. Kentucky is my country, and it shall always be my home, just as my friends will ever remain my extended family.To nothing else in my life will I ever be so resolutely and steadfastly committed." …. Louisvillian

Ramen, leftovers, and cereal
    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Comment

Originally posted by RoseKitten View Post
      Ramen, leftovers, and cereal
      You desperately need my help!! I feel called to this.

I have found my purpose in life!

I entreat all persons of good will to help me help RoseKitten!
      Last edited by SSanf; April 8th, 2007, 12:31 AM.

Sometimes I think "right-to-lifers" only value life if it agrees with them. A fetus can't talk, therefore... it can't offend you with its belief system or looks. It can't tell you it will never go to your church, believe in your god, or exist in your socio-economic class.

A potential child is adorable until it actually exists. Then it's just another object of your scorn. Another despicable product of a broken home, unwed mother, or family that's so large it can't take care of itself.
      EgwayneR

"I consider myself a Kentuckian first, and an American second. My ethnic background, religion, and politics are secondary to the fact that I am a Louisvillian and a Kentuckian. Kentucky is my country, and it shall always be my home, just as my friends will ever remain my extended family.To nothing else in my life will I ever be so resolutely and steadfastly committed." …. Louisvillian

Comment

Two of my favorite I-don't-feel-like-cooking-but-I'm-hungry meals. The nice thing is you can scale them easily for as many people as you need to feed.

Pita Pizza..
        Take one pita bread (I use wholewheat, I like it better). Brush top with a little bit of olive oil. Spread a bit of whatever spaghetti sauce you have over it, and top with a bit of shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan. Add other toppings if you like. Place on a baking sheet in toaster oven (or regular oven if you don't have a toaster oven) at 425F for 5 minutes or until hot and cheese is bubbly and browned.

Quesadillas
        Take two flour tortillas. Spread shredded cheddar cheese over one tortilla, shake on a bit of chili powder, and top with the other tortilla. Place on a microwave-safe plate, and microwave for 30 seconds. Flip and microwave for 30 seconds more. Place whole thing in toaster oven (no pan, just put it on the rack) and toast on Medium or until tortillas are a bit crispy and cheese is thoroughly melted. (If you don't have a toaster oven, put it on a pan into the regular oven for 5 minutes on 450, flipping halfway through, or if you're in Europe, use your grill.) Take out and let sit for 1 minute so the cheese sets. Slice with pizza cutter into 8 wedges. Serve with sour cream and salsa, if you like.

Both the above recipes make a nice meal with cut-up raw veggies or a small salad.

Safety note - Watch the tortillas in the toaster oven very, very carefully. Sometimes the top tortilla will puff up and get dangerously close to the heating element, and in extreme cases might catch on fire!

ETA...

Canned chick peas are wonderful and quite healthy. Chop up an onion and some garlic, and saute in a pan with a bit of olive oil. Toss in a drained can of chick peas, and whatever vegetables you have on hand (chopped up zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower all work really well). If you don't have fresh vegetables, you can use frozen. Add salt and pepper to taste. Flavor with salt, pepper, and dried herbs (oregano, basil, and thyme work well, or forego the herbs and use ground coriander). Heat and stir until veggies are cooked but still crunchy. Tastes great and is very filling, especially if served with a bit of warm bread. You can toss cooked pasta in with this as well (I often do) or cooked crumbled chorizo or Italian sausage, but that would put you over the 5 minute time limit.
        Last edited by Brightshores; April 8th, 2007, 01:06 AM.
        sigpic

Forum Guide: Gods and Goddesses

MW Tarot Readings NOT currently accepting tarot reading requests via PM, but will answer posts in the Reading Request subforum if it is possible for me to do so. :spinnysmi

Comment

Eggs.

quick simple and nutritious.
          Can be fried, poached, scrambled or whatever.
          In less than 5 minutes.

Spinach, just rinse + toss in a pan heat for about 2 minutes with lid on, stir and it's nummy. Tastes good with everything.

1 can cream of mushroom soup, chopped potatoes, 1 chopped frozen chicken breast. Spices and extra veggies to taste.
          Prep takes less than 5 minutes if everything is on hand.
          Pop in oven preheated to 350 F and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
          This is a good one if you have chores or something to do in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWomanMonster View Post
            Eggs.

quick simple and nutritious.
            Can be fried, poached, scrambled or whatever.
            In less than 5 minutes.

Spinach, just rinse + toss in a pan heat for about 2 minutes with lid on, stir and it's nummy. Tastes good with everything.

1 can cream of mushroom soup, chopped potatoes, 1 chopped frozen chicken breast. Spices and extra veggies to taste.
            Prep takes less than 5 minutes if everything is on hand.
            Pop in oven preheated to 350 F and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
            This is a good one if you have chores or something to do in the meantime.
            That is good! By the time it is done, you will be feeling a bit more human!

Brightshores sound very good and sure beat the price of sending out for pizza!
            Last edited by SSanf; April 8th, 2007, 01:06 AM.

EgwayneR

Comment

i'm a big fan of frozen dinners, myself. of course, if you asked my sister what she'd do if she was too tired to cook, she would just send her husband out for takeout, or make him do the cooking!
              if we've got packaged salad, I like to do a tuna salad. I just take a bunch of iceburg salad (plain iceburg lettuce will work, too, but nobody likes to buy heads of lettuce here anymore), take a can of tuna mixed with mayo, and dump it on top of the lettuce. if we have cheese, tomatoes, croutons, etc., I toss them on top, too... it depends on what we have. I go through moods where nothing sounds good, but I'll always eat a tuna salad with nice crispy lettuce, yum! whats funny is that I don't eat fish, as a rule, but canned tuna is the exception.

Comment

I have to agree with halfwaynowhere... there's definitely something to be said for frozen dinners. I quite like Lean Cuisine.. they have a lemongrass chicken thing which is actually really good, and they're often on sale for $2 apiece at the grocery store where I shop. I usually have one or two in the freezer for bad-mood emergencies!
                sigpic

Forum Guide: Gods and Goddesses

MW Tarot Readings NOT currently accepting tarot reading requests via PM, but will answer posts in the Reading Request subforum if it is possible for me to do so. :spinnysmi

Comment

About those frozen dinners, I make my own. I got these 6 divided microwavable plastic plates with covers at the dollar store. When I have left overs, I stick some in one section and pop it in the freezer. If I filled a compartment with, for instance a vegetable, next time I cook some meat, I make a bit extra and put that in the meat spot in the divided plate in the freezer and so on. After a while, I have several and can take off from cooking with premade complete meals ready for the microvwave.

Sure beats tossing out the leftovers and cuts down on the work. Cheap at the price and things are cooked just the way I like them. It also gives me variety because the selections come from different meals over a period of time.
                  Last edited by SSanf; April 8th, 2007, 01:57 AM.

EgwayneR

Comment

Thai noodle soup
                    chop 1 chili, 2 cloves of garlic 1 inch of ginger. Throw in a handful of dry TVP, ramen noodles with flavour packet. Add hot water top with chopped wonbok.... complete meal.

OR
                    Quick & Dirty Pad Thai.

1 T peanut butter mashed with 1 /2 T red chilli paste and a little lemon juice. Toss with cooked ramen noodles.

OR

(my personal favorite.. still easily under the 25 bucks it costs for a crappy pizza)

Tanya's TV Picnic
                    2 lumps of nice cheese(brie, or smoked gouda are best), sliced ham, a crusty loaf of bread 1-2 apples or pears sliced... Serve on a cutting board in the living room with a dollop of butter on the side and a glass of red wine.

Thai Tuna salad

1 can drained tuna, 1 chopped chili pepper, 2-3T sweet chilli sauce, T cilantro. Serve with lettuce leaves and crackers instead of utensils.

Toasted Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich (self explanitory i think)

Egg Sandwich
                    Fried egg, cheese, toast, hotsauce... mmmmmmmmmm

Burritos

1/4 C canned, refried beans, 1 tortilla, garlic, chili, salsa and lime juice to taste... roll. microwave 1-2 minutes

Lazy Tofu
                    stir fry tofu in sesame oil toss in chopped wonbok, chilis, and garlic. Add some soy sauce. dump out, and top with sweet chili sauce.

Hummus, crackers and vegies

1 can drained chickpeas, 1T thahini, 1T lemon, 3 cloves garlic. Buzz.

can you tell I never order pizza?
                    Last edited by Tanya; April 8th, 2007, 03:44 AM.
                    Mitakuye Oyasin

Comment

I freeze leftovers for "TV dinners" too.

Casseroles!
                      Noddles, cream of something soup, left over or chopped frozen meat or tuna, can or frozen peas. A little milk, toss in oven and go watch TV for an hour or so! You can let it simmer on the stove top to. for a one pan meal.
                      We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
                      (\_/) (\_/)
                      (O.o) ( _ )
                      (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
                      Green Room Forum Guide
                      The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

Good ideas!

When you cook pasta, make plenty. Toss the surplus in olive oil, cover it tightly and keep it in the refrigerator or freeze it. When you want some, just put the pasta in a strainer and dip it in hot water for a few seconds. Then, microwave the pasta to heat it some more. It is ready in seconds this way.

It would probably work just as well with rice.
                        Last edited by SSanf; April 8th, 2007, 10:53 AM.

EgwayneR

Comment

Box or packet of Spanish rice
                          Can of black beans, chili beans, red kidney, refried, or other beans you like
                          Tortillas
                          Shredded cheddar cheese
                          Hot sauce, your choice
                          Cheese sauce (optional; can of cheese soup, jar of white cheese for dipping Doritos in, etc.)

Put the Spanish rice in a bowl; add water and cook in microwave per label on box/pkt.
                          Heat beans in microwave.
                          Lay out a tortilla, layer beans, rice, hot sauce, shredded cheese, flip up bottom edge, then the sides.
                          Microwave a few seconds to melt cheese.

Variation: roll up the tortilla with the stuffing, lay seam side down on plate, pour cheese sauce over it.

Darbla

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality;
                          and then there are those who turn one into the other. ~ Douglas Everett

"We gaze up at the same stars, the sky covers us all, the same universe encompasses us. What does it matter what practical system we adopt in our search for the truth? Not by one avenue alone can we arrive at so tremendous a secret."
                          Symmachus
                          384 C.E.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
                          ~ Gene Roddenberry

"Finish each day and be done with it.
                          You have done what you could;
                          some blunders and absurdities have crept in;
                          forget them as soon as you can.
                          Tomorrow is a new day;
                          you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit
                          to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
                          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Avatar artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser - www.JonathonArt.com

Comment

Who on earth pays $25 for one pizza??? I've been eating pizza all my life and I've never spent more that $15 for one. It must be because I always order from small, family owned, actual pizzerias, and not chain places like Dominos or Pizza Hut.

I almost always cook, and I cook from scratch. I don't eat processed, frozen dinners anymore, and I don't eat processed foods like Mac N Cheese anymore. Because of that, there are some things that I make large amounts of when I cook--chili, baked pastas, pasta sauces (not the cream sauces because they break down too much and don't reheat very well--but they only take maybe 5, 10 minutes to throw together from scratch anyway), baked mac n cheese, and a few others that are escaping my memory at the moment. None of these things cost very much to make in the first place, and they all freeze really well. Like Ssanf, I will freeze them in single (or sometimes double) portions and pop them in the microwave or on the stove when needed. Frozen properly, most will keep for 3-6 months.

Also, when I make things like london broil (which costs over $12 for the cut of meat these days, ouch!), we never finish it, as we are only 2 1/2 people eating. I will wrap the leftover half and refrigerate it, then slice some very thin later in the week, reheat quickly it in a pan and throw it on a roll with some cheese. It takes about 5 minutes, it's filling and delicious, and has already been paid for! Whatever's left will usually go toward making a Noicoise salad later in the week instead of using tuna, just for fun. I make the dressing myself and have everything in the house already--vinegar, dijon mustard, capers, lemons, olives potatoes--and usually only have to buy the lettuce, which costs less than $1.

Chicken cutlets one night turn into chicken sandwiches another, cold or warm. Pasta sauce can be used for so many things--spaghetti, little pizzas, poured over left over chicken cutlets and turned into chicken parm with a little cheese that's already on hand. Meatloaf also makes wonderful left overs.
                            Our Rules|Copyright Policy |FAQ

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
                            It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
                            And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
                            Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
                            We are not now that strength which in old days
                            Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
                            One equal temper of heroic hearts,
                            Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
                            To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

~From Ulysses, by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Comment

Spaghetti is my standby when I dont have time to cook. I make huge batches of my own sauce that contain all kinds of ground veggies you dont get in the supermarket spaghetti sauce and since they are ground, no one knows. We always have whole wheat dry pasta on hand, so its just a matter of defrosting a conatiner of sauce and cooking the pasta.

If I want something really quick, we have clean out the fridge meal. My husband hates these, but the kids love them because they are usually weird combos and a big selection so everyone gets something they like.

I use up veggies like carrots by putting them with salad dressing, celery with peanutbutter, cumcumber in vinegar and salt.

Leftover meat can be tucked into a bun or mix with its gravy and heated or if its chicken, served with honey.

Leftover mashed potatoes can be mixed with a can of salmon or tuna, made into patties and fried.

Leftover pasta can be mixed with shredded cheese or peanutbutter, garlic powder and chilli powder or just eaten with butter and salt.

As someone said, there are always eggs. It takes two minutes to make scrambled eggs!
                              Last edited by Ceres; April 8th, 2007, 06:58 PM.

"There are more things in heaven and earth...than are dreamt of in your philosophy" ~William Shakespeare, Hamlet

"Nothing in education is so astonishing as the amount of ignorance it accumulates in the form of inert facts."
                              --Henry Brooks Adams 1838-1918--

Comment

Working...
                              X