No announcement yet.

Too lazy to cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband had two back from his college days that we still make from time to time.

Cheesy tuna casserole:
    1 can tuna
    1 can cream mushroom soup
    1 box mac & cheese(the good kind with the creamy cheese)

Cook mac & cheese as directed and then add remaining ingredients.

1 lb.ground beef cooked and drained
    1 box mac & cheese(again,the good kind)
    bbq sauce to taste

cook mac & cheese as directed and add remaining ingredients.

Serve with salad and a veggie.
    Bethany: You're saying that having beliefs is a bad thing?
    Rufus: I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. ~Dogma,1999~

Comment

Originally posted by Zoritsa_Nepenthe View Post
      My husband had two back from his college days that we still make from time to time.

Cheesy tuna casserole:
      1 can tuna
      1 can cream mushroom soup
      1 box mac & cheese(the good kind with the creamy cheese)

Cook mac & cheese as directed and then add remaining ingredients.

1 lb.ground beef cooked and drained
      1 box mac & cheese(again,the good kind)
      bbq sauce to taste

cook mac & cheese as directed and add remaining ingredients.

Serve with salad and a veggie.
      One recipe I made up a long time ago was like the second one you posted only I stirred in a can or jar of spagetti sauce instead of barbeque sauce. I called it "Italian Goulash". My daughter's boyfriend decided to stir a packet of taco seasoning into the hamburger, and then stir that into the mac & cheese. Viola! Mexican Goulash. They're both very good.

Comment

My hubby and I both work in the afternoon/evening, so we usually don't get to have dinner til 8-9PM. After a long day with the docs I work with, I really don't feel like cooking!

:fpraise: Enter my savior, the Crock-Pot.

When I get up in the morning and before I head out to work, I throw some stuff in the Crock. I can cut up some fresh veggies or use thawed/canned, throw some chicken or whatever in there, spices, some kinda liquid.. It doesn't get much easier. Turn it on, and by the time we're home, VOILA! Yummy dinner already done.

Crock-Pot Recipe Thread:

http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=8786

"Home is behind, the world ahead,
        And there are many paths to tread
        Through shadows to the edge of night,
        Until the stars are all alight."
        J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by WitchJezebel View Post
          Ssanf are you talking about saving the liquid from cans of tuna, salmon and canned vegetables? If so, that's not juice it's salt water - if you're watching your sodium intake I don't recommend saving it
          By the time the salt in the juice is spread out in a pot of soup, it really is not all that much. Sure if you are on a salt free or salt restricted diet, that may be a consideration just the same as a raman packet would be. Otherwise, your soup just isn't all that salty and it tastes great. But, thank you for mentioning the salt in case anyone was unaware of that.
          Last edited by SSanf; April 11th, 2007, 10:14 AM.
          +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sometimes I think "right-to-lifers" only value life if it agrees with them. A fetus can't talk, therefore... it can't offend you with its belief system or looks. It can't tell you it will never go to your church, believe in your god, or exist in your socio-economic class.

A potential child is adorable until it actually exists. Then it's just another object of your scorn. Another despicable product of a broken home, unwed mother, or family that's so large it can't take care of itself.
          EgwayneR

"I consider myself a Kentuckian first, and an American second. My ethnic background, religion, and politics are secondary to the fact that I am a Louisvillian and a Kentuckian. Kentucky is my country, and it shall always be my home, just as my friends will ever remain my extended family.To nothing else in my life will I ever be so resolutely and steadfastly committed." …. Louisvillian

Comment

Originally posted by Zoritsa_Nepenthe View Post
            1 lb.ground beef cooked and drained.
            This sounds crazy, I know. But, I often boil ground beef. This is kind of messy but worth doing.

I break it up small and drop it into boiling water to cook. This gets all the grease to rise to the top so the end product has little grease. I drain it in a colander and break up any remaining big chunks. Then, I freeze the cooked meat in little baggies ready to add to any kind of recipe calling for ground meat.

If it is cold out, sit the pan of drained off greasy water on the back porch and when the grease hardens, it is easy to throw away and it doesn't go down your pipes.

I do a whole lot of this at a time to make it a worthwhile project. It is good to do on a cold winter day, when the kitchen heat serves double duty for you. This sure saves time and aggravation later, when I need cooked ground meat and not having to fry in the summer is nice for keeping the place cool. Cook your ground meat once and clean up the mess once for many, many meals. Buy the ground meat, when you can get it dirt cheap, and you will save on the cost of many meals.

Your recipe would be an under 5 minute, one pan, little clean up snap if the meat were already cooked and waiting in the freezer.
            Last edited by SSanf; April 11th, 2007, 10:38 AM.

Sometimes I think "right-to-lifers" only value life if it agrees with them. A fetus can't talk, therefore... it can't offend you with its belief system or looks. It can't tell you it will never go to your church, believe in your god, or exist in your socio-economic class.

A potential child is adorable until it actually exists. Then it's just another object of your scorn. Another despicable product of a broken home, unwed mother, or family that's so large it can't take care of itself.
            EgwayneR

"I consider myself a Kentuckian first, and an American second. My ethnic background, religion, and politics are secondary to the fact that I am a Louisvillian and a Kentuckian. Kentucky is my country, and it shall always be my home, just as my friends will ever remain my extended family.To nothing else in my life will I ever be so resolutely and steadfastly committed." …. Louisvillian

Comment

Originally posted by SSanf View Post
              By the time the salt in the juice is spread out in a pot of soup, it really is not all that much. Sure if you are on a salt free or salt restricted diet, that may be a consideration just the same as a raman packet would be. Otherwise, your soup just isn't all that salty and it tastes great. But, thank you for mentioning the salt in case anyone was unaware of that.
              Good point if you're making larger quantities of food, I suppose it doesn't make much of a difference at all in those proportions.

Another tip I'll throw in is here in NY sometimes the tomatoes are just awful, they don't taste like anything. To draw the most flavor out of plum/roma tomatoes is to roast them. When they go on sale here I'll buy several pounds at a time, cut them in half lengthwise, toss with olive oil, salt & pepper and minced fresh garlic and slow roast on 200 degrees for a few hours. Sounds like work but if you do it on a Sunday afternoon you don't have to watch it constantly and get other things done in the house while they're roasting. I keep them in the fridge and toss them in salads, on pasta, mixed with other vegs for a quick side. It's a good way to cut time during the busy workweek and they taste great.
              "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
              Run free and catch the rabbits
              4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Good point if you're making larger quantities of food, I suppose it doesn't make much of a difference at all in those proportions.

Another tip I'll throw in is here in NY sometimes the tomatoes are just awful, they don't taste like anything. To draw the most flavor out of plum/roma tomatoes is to roast them. When they go on sale here I'll buy several pounds at a time, cut them in half lengthwise, toss with olive oil, salt & pepper and minced fresh garlic and slow roast on 200 degrees for a few hours. Sounds like work but if you do it on a Sunday afternoon you don't have to watch it constantly and get other things done in the house while they're roasting. I keep them in the fridge and toss them in salads, on pasta, mixed with other vegs for a quick side. It's a good way to cut time during the busy workweek and they taste great.
                Right you are about roasting them! It really does improve the flavor.

Here is another one. Cut the top and stem off a tomato and cover the topped part of the tomato with bread crumbs mixed with a little butter and Italian seasoning and bake it. Very pretty, delicious fast and easy. Prep time is about a minute.
                Last edited by SSanf; April 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM.

EgwayneR

Comment

I do that with tomatoes other than romas/plums. They have a higher water content so they absorb the crumbs... yummmy. I can't wait until tomato season is in full swing.

I think an important point for people who don't like or want to spend much time cooking is to always keep in mind that going fresh is the easiest and quickest way to eat healthy.

How about parchment or foil cooking? How can you go wrong with a foil packet with a piece of chicken or fish, some vegetables and seasonings and a bit of olive oil or butter, on a sheet tray in the oven? I do that often with fish or chicken because I don't have as much time in the evenings during the week. I'll make a small pot of rice or pasta on the side and I've really only spent a total of about 20 minutes of prep time. And it's lowfat too and I'm watching my fat intake so it's a good idea for those trying to cut back and eat healthier.
                  "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
                  Run free and catch the rabbits
                  4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

I love love love parchment paper. Itsa the best thing ever! I never wash baking sheets or pans anymore! I use it with almost everything I bake - even meat so I dont have to scrub the pan to get the stuck on bits off.

"There are more things in heaven and earth...than are dreamt of in your philosophy" ~William Shakespeare, Hamlet

"Nothing in education is so astonishing as the amount of ignorance it accumulates in the form of inert facts."
                    --Henry Brooks Adams 1838-1918--

Comment

Yep! I have a cookie sheet I think is on it's 5th use without having to wash it! I usually use foil because sometimes my husband can get the real big (restaurant size) rolls free if they're damaged.
                      We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
                      (\_/) (\_/)
                      (O.o) ( _ )
                      (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
                      Green Room Forum Guide
                      The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

I dont like to use the foil much because the aluminum does leech into the food while its cooking and there is some debate over whether thise poses a health risk. On the other hand, there is cookware made with aluminum. Sometimes with a particularly messy food I will put foil down, then cover it with parchment paper.

"There are more things in heaven and earth...than are dreamt of in your philosophy" ~William Shakespeare, Hamlet

"Nothing in education is so astonishing as the amount of ignorance it accumulates in the form of inert facts."
                        --Henry Brooks Adams 1838-1918--

Comment

Here's a few.

1. Stir-fry!!!! Stir-fries are fast, easy, and nutritious. Plus, they are a great way to use up some left over veggies and meat (and even some fruits and sauces).

2. The second are pizza potatoes.

3. A third is Crustless Quiche (which are also great for using up leftovers).

4. Don't forget homemade mashed potatoes!

Simple Fried Rice (for one to two people)

1 egg
                          dash of salt, or to taste
                          2 scallions, cut into small pieces (or 1/3 to 1/2 onion, depending on size, chopped)
                          Vegetable oil (you may also use peanut oil or sesame oil)
                          Cooked rice, warmed
                          leftover or frozen veggies

Lightly beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and some of the scallions (no foam should develop). Set aside.

In a preheated wok (or saute pan), heat the oil. Add the eggs, scramble them slightly. Make sure to keep stirring them until they are cooked but still soft. Add cooked rice, stirring constantly until the grains of rice are separated from each other (shouldn't take long if rice was pre-warmed). Add the onions, veggies, and remaining scallions. Stir to blend until all ingredients are heated. Let cool slightly, and serve.

What's great about this is you have so much room to change it. You can add spices (black pepper, pepper medley, dried cayenne, etc), meats, beans, almost any type of veggie, different sauces (like soy or fish sauce) and so on. I've even made an Italian and Pizza style stir fry. And it takes almost no time at all to make!

Pizza Potato

Just heat a russet (or other baking) potato in the microwave. Cut open and lightly mash the inside. Spoon on spaghetti sauce (mine is usually homemade and left over from another night), shredded cheese (or sliced and torn up), and anything else that catches your fancy (like torn up pepperoni slices, leftover sausage, spices, veggies, etc). That's all there is to it!

Crustless Quiche
                          Eggs
                          Milk
                          Fillers (any veggies, meats, etc you have on hand), chopped and diced
                          Cheese, shredded (typically cheeses like cheddar, monterey, or colby, though I have used other types as well)

Preheat oven to 350 F, though you can take it up to 375 F. (I have also turned the heat up to 400 F for the last few minutes of cooking to form a nice crust and speed up cooking slightly, but this is not necessary and has to be carefully watched.)

Grease a pan. This can be a cake pan, bread pan, pie pan, or even a muffin pan. (Doing it in muffin pans are pretty fast, fun, and handy.)

Mix eggs and a small amount of milk until well blended but not frothy. I would say to use about 1 tsp of milk per large egg used, or up to 1 Tbsp per 2 large eggs, though I never measured the milk out.

Place fillers into the pan, spreading evenly. Top with cheese, making sure to cover the fillers evenly. Gently pour egg mixture over top the cheese and fillers. You want enough egg mixture to at least be level with the cheese. If you need to mix more egg and milk together for this, that won't affect the end result too much.
                          Place in oven to cook. The cooking time is dependent on the size of the pan and quiche. I typically check 10 to 15 minutes into cooking. You will know the quiche is done when you insert a toothpick in the center and it pulls out clean and without obviously uncooked egg residue.

Prep time is all dependent on what you want to put IN the quiche.

Oh... and homemade mashed potatoes take very little time as well. Just microwave a couple potatoes till soft. Mash with a sturdy fork (or potato masher). Add water or milk (both work great!) to get the base consistency (the soft texture) and add any seasonings, sauces, and cheeses you want. You can also add some meats and veggies to this. I like using salad dressing or cream cheese for the main flavor base.

(More specific versions and other types of cheap, quick foods are on my website and food blog. I usually like making things that don't take too long, have too many ingredients, have too many steps, but still have a great flavor. Most of my recipes are geared towards that, though there are exceptions. :hahugh: )
                          Last edited by MankyCat; April 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM.

Now accepting tarot reading requests.Click here for more information.

Comment

Nah, what I like to do when roasting them is to try and get as many seeds out as possible without killing the ting and then I sprinkle salt + olive oil over them, stuffing motzerella cheese inside and then top it with like breadcrumbs.bake. Yum.

I'm sexy, I'm cute! I'm popular to boot!
                            I'm bitchin', great hair! The boys all love to stare!
                            I'm wanted, I'm hot! I'm everything your not!
                            I'm pretty, I'm cool! I dominate this school!
                            Who am I? Just guess! Guys wanna touch my chest!
                            I'm rockin'! I smile! And many think I'm vile.
                            I'm flyin', I jump! You can look but don't you hump! Whoo!
                            I'm major, I roar! I swear I'm not a whore!
                            We cheer and we lead! We act like we're on speed!
                            Don't hate ate us cause we're beautiful well we don't like u either!
                            We're cheerleaders! We are cheerleaders!

Script Frenzy; 6,020 / 20,000

Comment

French onion soup.. very easy...

sautee 2 cups of sliced onions in 2 T butter
                              add 4 cups water and 1-2 beef bullion cubes
                              1 teaspoon worcesteshire sauce
                              optional 1 T wine or sherry
                              bring to boil and simmer 10 minutes
                              while the soup is simmering melt cheese (I use swiss or parmesan) on top of french bread or any old dry bread is really ok
                              float the bread in soup bowl

Comment

Working...
                              X