Olde Cookbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olde Cookbooks

Who likes to buy or collect old tried and trusted cookbooks and cook from them? I've started getting into old and rare books and one of the areas I am interested in is cookbooks.

Have any oldies but goodies that you recommend?

Do you mean "old" as in old, rare 19th century cookbooks? I don't know about those.. but I do always go back to my Joy of Cooking and Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks, both of which have been around for decades... they still are the best for basic, old-fashioned recipes.
    sigpic

Forum Guide: Gods and Goddesses

MW Tarot Readings NOT currently accepting tarot reading requests via PM, but will answer posts in the Reading Request subforum if it is possible for me to do so. :spinnysmi

Comment

Food in England by Dorothy Hartley is one of my favourites

gwyn eich byd

Ffred
      Ticfa Tلlcenn
      Tar muir mercenn
      a thrي thollcenn,
      a chrann crombcenn.

Canfaid mيchrلbud
      a méis ي n-airthuir a thige;
      fris-gérat a muinter uile:
      Amén, Amén.

Comment

I'm a cook so I'm obsessed with recipes too. In my own collection I have McNeill's The Scots Kitchen: Its Traditions and Lore which was originally published in 1929 but the recipes and lore within it are much older. McNeill also wrote The Silver Bough. Another book I'd recommend to old recipe lovers is The Delectable Past: The Joys of the Table - from Rome to the Renaissance, from Queen Elizabeth I to Mrs. Beeton. The author Ester Aresty is a collector of rare old cookbooks so this book is full of recipes, pictures and info from her collection and most importantly it has a list of all of the books in her collection.

For Medieval recipes I like to use Gode Cookery and I always look in the cookbook section at second hand bookstores - I've found some great vintage cookbooks for a few dollars that reprinted cost a fortune.

Slainte!
        Lolair

Comment

Yes I love my Betty Crocker Cookbook too although I rarely touch it anymore. It was my 1st cookbook several years ago. I'll look into some of these book suggestions. I've taken an interest specifically in Colonial cookbooks lately and have a few I'm looking for. We have no 2nd had book stores here on the island, if their are I can't find them and their not listed in the phone book. I swear no one on this island knows what books are other than the Bible, bah!
          Last edited by Haerfest Leah; April 25th, 2007, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seapearls View Post
            Yes I love my Betty Crocker Cookbook too although I rarely touch it anymore. It was my 1st cookbook several years ago. I'll look into some of these book suggestions. I've taken an interest specifically in Colonial cookbooks lately and have a few I'm looking for. We have no 2nd had book stores here on the island, if their are I can't find them and their not listed in the phone book. I swear no one on this island knows what books are other than the Bible, bah!
            arg, that sucks! would amazon.com be an option? i could cut and paste some from my wish list there if you'd like.
            “A book must be the pick ax that shatters the frozen sea within us.”

-Franz Kafka

sigpic
            Thanks to Lilith Morgaine for the gorgeous Book Club banners! :yourock:

“For a wise, a knowing and a learned people are the least likely of any in the world to be enslaved.”
            —Samuel Webster, 1777

To change one's life:
            Start immediately.
            Do it flamboyantly.
            No exceptions.
            - William James

Check out my new place! http://baile-dragan.myminicity.com/ind/

Comment

I love the Fannie Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook. I have a few editions, including the first (from 1896 I believe), but my favorite is from the 1950's.

"Home is behind, the world ahead,
              And there are many paths to tread
              Through shadows to the edge of night,
              Until the stars are all alight."
              J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

my friend has a few on a blog: www.dirtyunclemark.com
                I promise it's not a dirty site, despite the name! He's been experimenting with old cookbooks his grandparents left. The pictures are hilarious!

Mrs Beeton is a great cook - she was one of the first people to write a cookbook. She took recipes from other people as well as her own ideas. Sadly she died at about 28 years old. Still, the book is very interesting - look it up!
                Come visit my Blog

Comment

Originally posted by banondraig View Post
                  arg, that sucks! would amazon.com be an option? i could cut and paste some from my wish list there if you'd like.
                  We order from Amazon.com often and I just a few days ago won a bid on Housekeeping in Old Virginia on ebay, 1956 edition since the earlier ones (1879 is the 1st edition) are extremely rare. I saw 1 on ebay, an 1884 edition and it sold for $288. Apparantly theres a newer 2004 edition of this book too.

Look at this web site I just came across....

Historic Etiquette and Housekeeping Books
                  http://www.wmol.com/whalive/ettiquette.htm

The one I got is mentioned here.

Comment

wow cool site!
                    “A book must be the pick ax that shatters the frozen sea within us.”

-Franz Kafka

sigpic
                    Thanks to Lilith Morgaine for the gorgeous Book Club banners! :yourock:

“For a wise, a knowing and a learned people are the least likely of any in the world to be enslaved.”
                    —Samuel Webster, 1777

To change one's life:
                    Start immediately.
                    Do it flamboyantly.
                    No exceptions.
                    - William James

Check out my new place! http://baile-dragan.myminicity.com/ind/

Comment

I have this really interesting book called To the King's Taste by Lorna J. Sass , Samuel Pegge http://www.amazon.com/Kings-Taste-Ri.../dp/0312807481

The recipes are adapted for modern cooking. It may not be exactly what you're looking for but it's a facinating book.
                      Last edited by Sage Rainsong; April 30th, 2007, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X